Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Restored my fuel tank today with excellent results
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dominic
For those who need to resore their old / rusty fuel tank this stuff works great:

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/KBS-Auto-Fuel-...eSetd8vPFyVSvly

Simple process that anyone can do. My tank was not in bad shape, I just wanted to get rid of all the surface rust and coat it for good. I did it all in one day. The tank dried pretty fast after cleaning it and then again after the rust blast since it was nice and hot today. Once it was completely dry I poured the can of coating (silver stuff) into the tank and made sure all of the tank was coated, the hard part was draining all if it out. As you can see from the pics it looks all nice and shiny (silver) on the inside of the tank. Takes another 4 days to cure before you should put fuel in the tank. This is money well spent. Also a good time to replace the mesh filter on the fuel supply side of the tank.
Dominic
more pics
McMark
Very cool! Andy and I are about to do this. I guess we should get started since it's not a one day project! ohmy.gif

Looks great though. thumb3d.gif
ConeDodger
Schweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet... Very pretty.
Air_Cooled_Nut
Something you need to be very careful about when coating fuel tanks using the FI system are the small holes in the cup at the bottom of the tank. These allow fuel to flow in/out of the cup. The cup helps keep fuel at the inlet side of the fuel pump, like for low fuel levels during a sharp turn. The fuel pump overflow dumps back into this cup.
fat73
How long did it take you?

Ed aka W9R1
Dominic
QUOTE(fat73 @ Jun 10 2007, 07:10 PM) *

How long did it take you?

Ed aka W9R1

I did it all in one day. biggrin.gif
The tank was empty for several months so it was easy to do in the same day. The inside of the tank dries pretty quick in the sun.
BAM
Nice job as always Dominic… I think I have a few tanks here that need to be coated, when are you coming back to the west coast? biggrin.gif

We missed you guys at PartsHeaven this year, it was a good crowd.

Talk to you later.
JP
Mr.242
I just purchased this kit and I will be doing my 1970 914-6.

Let's hope I can make mine look like the pics above!

SWEEEET beauty!

Thanks for the link to this thread.

Mark

aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.