Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Straange Noise coming from engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Borderline
OK, here's the story. I dropped the engine to install the seal between the sheet metal and the oil cooler. I had the fan, and all the sheet metal off and then put everything back with the addition of the rubber seal for the oil cooler. Now its back in the car and running gud! At idle and low RPM it makes a tweeting sound that goes away at about 2.5-3K. Its not the alternator belt. I removed the belt and it still makes the same noise!

It sounds like rubber or plastic rubbing on something and I have no idea what it is. All I know is that the WCR is one week away and I don't have the time or energy
to drop it again even if I knew what it was which, I don't.

Any suggestions?? headbang.gif

firstknight13
biggrin.gif if you have carbs!!?? it is the linkage between the carbs...tighten the intake nuts and adjust the hex bar... if fi then ???????? confused24.gif
Twystd1
Loose spark plug? Air squealing by the loose plug?

Loose carb will do that sometimes.

Could be an exhaust leak at the head.

Possibly Slits or Aaron sabotaged your engine?

Clayton
McMark
If you had the fan off, did you forget to put in the 'washer' between the fan and the fan hub (on the crank)? If you forgot that plate/washer, the fan will rub on the housing. The engine will run and you probably won't notice anything out of the ordinary. If you're not sure, I would start there. That's the first thing that pops into my head, considering what work you did.
JPB
You didn't end up with extra parts at the end did ya? Perhaps just loose tin screws? beer.gif
mills914/s
Hey Bill,
I have heard that sound before. I know what your talking about. However I cant remember for the life of me what my dad and I did to fix it. Somethind is leaking in the carbs or intake. Other than the chirping hows it run? Did you put the new jets in? All that work we did and Time I was there and I still have not heard that Bad as$ motor run. Hope you get it sorted out soon.
Talk to you later.
Seth
scotty b
Did you tighten the fan down EVENLY?? If the 3 bolts are not pulled down gradually the fan can and will get cocked to one side causing it to rub on the inner housing.
dbu356
One time....I had the parakeet chirping sound it was the points telling me that the needed to be lubed.

Just a thought.

David
Matt Romanowski
Some pretty good ideas here. I would first check for an intake leak (squirt some carb cleaner around the intake gaskets and see if the idel changes). If it's not that, I think Mark is right, it's probably something with the fan. Take the little cover off the top and see if there is any aluminum flakes from it rubbing. Good luck.
alpha434
Heater fan mount may not be tight, and it may be vibrating just at that range.
Borderline
Wow!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I never would have thought that Slits or Aaron would sabotage my engine, but that's gotta be it. I just wish I knew what they did.

I'm pretty sure the fan is rubbing on something. But it doesn't sound like metal. Metal would make more of a grinding sound. When I shut the engine off, it continues to make the noise until it comes to a complete stop and the pitch of the "squeal" gets lower and stops when the engine stops rotating.

The "squeal" is continuous, so I think the fan is on square to the crank. If it was wobbling the squeal would be more intermittent.

I never took off the little spacer washer off, so I'm pretty sure its in there. Its not around the garage anywhere that I can see.

I've driven it on the fwy for about 25 miles and it runs great. I originally thought it was the alternator belt squealing and it would be OK to drive it. If it is rubbing on something rubber or plastic I would think that after 25 miles the object would have worn away and it would stop squealing.

I'll poke around and see what I can see today.

Seth:

Its running pretty nice! I tried the new jets, but they seemed to be too rich. I was getting some popping out the exhaust. So right now I'm 1 size leaner than before. I had to clean out the idle jets again and that really smoothed out the engine. What are you going to do with your oil leak? WCR?

Thanks for all the help guys. (except Slits and Aaron)
JohnM
Distributor shaft lubricated? A couple of drops of oil on felt pad under rotor will stop a chirping or squeaking noise as per Tech Tips 700. I've heard it before and now oil it every other tune up. John
Borderline
This thing is driving me up the wall headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif

I've observed the fan form one of the heater outlets and it appears to be spinning true to the crank.

I sprayed some lubricant in thru the timing hole onto the fan thinking it would change or stop the sound: no effect at all.

I took it for a drive and I think it's getting worse. It doesn't go away at speed. It seems to be load sensitive. Say I'm at 3500 rpm in 4th with my foot on the throttle, it won't be so bad. Then when I lift off the throttle the sound will increase.

It seems to be coming from the passenger side front of the engine.

I even went so far to pull my #4 rocker shaft. I made solid bushings to replace the springs when I built the engine. I thought maybe the clearance was too tight. I machined it down. No luck!

People keep mentioning the distributor. I have a relatively new Mallory pointless distributor. Do they need lubrication???

Help!
scotty b
Does it make any change when you push in the clutch pedal??
McMark
Alternator bearings? Remove the alt. belt temporarily and see.
Borderline
QUOTE(Matt Romanowski @ Jun 10 2007, 08:28 AM) *

Some pretty good ideas here. I would first check for an intake leak (squirt some carb cleaner around the intake gaskets and see if the idel changes).

When will I learn??? I am such an idiot! chair.gif chair.gif I would have sworn it was a mechanical sound like something rubbing. The last thing I did tonight was to spray some carb cleaner around the #4 intake.....chirping stopped immediately!!!!

Thanks Matt and all the rest of yall for all the ideas! Looks like WCR here I come!!! driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif
mills914/s
QUOTE(mills914/s @ Jun 10 2007, 07:37 AM) *

Hey Bill,
I have heard that sound before. I know what your talking about. However I cant remember for the life of me what my dad and I did to fix it. Somethind is leaking in the carbs or intake.

\

I knew It was in the Carbs Bill..... Im glad you got it fixed..... I remember that sound..... Its weird...... Few 912's in the past had that sound with my Dad....BIRDS IN THE INTAKE........
Anyways 5 days and the motor is still leaking like a siv. Replaced the Pressure sender and still oil everywhere comming from the bottom of the back of the case ...Must be that seal......
Dont know what to do.....
Elliot Cannon
Slits told me once of a similar porblem he had with his car. Turns out it actually WAS a bird in his engine. av-943.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(firstknight13 @ Jun 10 2007, 02:14 AM) *

biggrin.gif if you have carbs!!?? it is the linkage between the carbs...tighten the intake nuts and adjust the hex bar... if fi then ???????? confused24.gif

In the case of your car Ray, the squeek went away when I repaired the intake leak at the manifold base. It wasn't "mechanical" at all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.