Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick question, hoping for a quick answer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
Jared is pulling his struts apart to change them out, we got the top off and went to pull out the strut and this is what we found, I thought they all had inserts, this one did not have an insert, the strut is a strut with the seals against the outside of the strut if that makes any sense. Here are some pictures of what he has, can someone tell us if this is normal? So if we drain all the oil at the bottom we can just put in new inserts?

PeeGreen 914
Yes Scott, That is normal. You don't need to drain the oil in there either. It is there for cooling. The newer struts do not need it, but it doesn't hurt.
Brian_Boss
Based on 911 experience, yes. Just dump out the oil and install the inserts.

The stock Boge struts on my Carrera were like that and and I put Bilstein inserts in.

Brian

edit to clarify-

The struts pictured do not use a cartridge or insert in stock form. The outer housing is part of the damper and the oil is the damping fluid.

A lot of people do put oil between the new insert and strut to aid heat transfer.
skline
Well, Turns out the struts he got are for a 914 and wont fit in his 911 strut housings, so he is a little sad right now and desperately looking through the garage for a spare front strut to replace the one he took apart. It's funny seeing him scramble to try to make the car drivable again. dry.gif
type47fan
dry.gif What are the numbers stamped on the lower strut housing?

Looks like the weather was fine in Costa Mesa today!

Thanks,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.