Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT What are they worth
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spare time toys
My boss has a pair of 944s and is trying to sell them. Both have good bodies the better one had the timing belt broke so it has the normal head troubles. The other has a bad respray with a good engine. So you could do a transplant and have one nice car and one to fix for track days. He is wanting to sell them but doesnt know what would be a good price to list the for. Any ideas? idea.gif No photos at this time sorry slap.gif
914-8
$500 each
TROJANMAN
My mechanic likes to remind me that there is no such thing as a free 944 biggrin.gif
914nerd
They are obviously worth absolutely nothing and should be donated to myself just to get them out of the way

Seriously though, do you have any other information (years, engines, etc.)
Without that, it's going to be difficult to figure out decent pricing for them
Brando
Yes, what years? You may have difficulty transplanting a later engine into an early body, and vice versa. If they're both post 1985½ you should be fine though.
PORobinSCHE
this was an 85 1/2 , worth appx $3500-5000. i traded for a Jaguar XJ-S
smj
Any more it seems like a '44 has to be in really good condition to top $5,000, even the '86 turbos. Later '87+ cars with revised suspension, more powerful motors, etc can all bring somewhat better prices depending on condition. Cabriolets are a whole different story, of course.

But let me tell you, the service and repair prices for my '87 haven't gone down. sad.gif

All that aside, these are fun cars that represent a low cost of entry to Porsche-powered fun. And they have good undercoating and rust-proofing compared to our teeners, so there are more of them around to cannibalize.

Your boss might want to check out fair pricing for the best combination of the two cars, take a discount for the work involved, and offer them as a package deal. I've seen plenty of club racers pick cars up to mix and match that way -- heck, I got my first P-car from somebody who bought just such a combo...
scotty b
Model year makes no difference in an engine swap. Suspension makes alittle difference but ANY componenets CAN be swapped from year to year. If'n you need a head I have a good one.
Value for a nice N/A/
83-85 = 5000.00
85.5-87 = 7000.00
87 on depends on engine, standard or S. People will pay a bit more for an S even though the engine parts are a PITA and $$$$ to find

These 2 in that shape I would tend to agree with 500.00 each
Andyrew
Just sold our perfect 90k mile 944 turbo for 6750...

What does that tell you?

PS it was on the market for 7 months.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 11 2007, 04:31 PM) *

Model year makes no difference in an engine swap. Suspension makes alittle difference but ANY componenets CAN be swapped from year to year. If'n you need a head I have a good one.
Value for a nice N/A/
83-85 = 5000.00
85.5-87 = 7000.00
87 on depends on engine, standard or S. People will pay a bit more for an S even though the engine parts are a PITA and $$$$ to find

These 2 in that shape I would tend to agree with 500.00 each

agree.gif

I bought my 88 944 NA in March for $7800. Had 62k miles on it, it is clean clean clean. I looked for 3 months before I bought it and seen everything from $500 junkers to $20K dreamers. Just like a 914 a well kept 944 brings higher $$, but one that needs a lot of repair, well....

My 944 is pulling double duty while my 914 is getting painted. It is daily driver & AX toy.

spare time toys
He said they are both 1986 and autos. I told him to contact the local guys at 44andmoreparts.com they may want them just as a parts source sawzall-smiley.gif
Brando
Autos = junk. Too costly to convert to manual...
Joe Ricard
Pass them up. you do not want them headaches.
Because they have Porsche dollars attached to all the parts it will kill you in repairs. the engine with the broken timing belt is not worth as plugged nickle but will cost you better than 5 G's to fix.
jasons
Sold my S2 on ebay a few weeks ago for $7200. It had 159k miles, but was in exceptional shape, new clutch ($$$$) and new timing belts and chain($$$), and a rare car at 1 of only 2000 such models.

That doesn't really tell you anything except the right cars bring some money. Most 944's aren't good cars anymore. The 2 you mention, don't sound good either.

spare time toys
[quote name='Joe Ricard' date='Jun 12 2007, 07:04 AM' post='910592']

I am not buying them he just asked me if I knew some one who may be able to give him an idea of what they are worth. I got my shock on Porsch parts prices when I got the gasket set for the 928 engine for $350 on sale from a well known west coast parts house huh.gif
effutuo101
buy one and put a LS1 motor in it. Drive it for years.
i love porsche
the automatic transmissions really take away anything the car could be worth...yes you can put a price on it...but the trouble is finding someone who actually wants an automatic 944.. they are out there..but few and far in between
Brando
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jun 12 2007, 05:04 AM) *
Because they have Porsche dollars attached to all the parts it will kill you in repairs. the engine with the broken timing belt is not worth as plugged nickle but will cost you better than 5 G's to fix.

If you do a lot of the work yourself - which is fairly simple on a 944 - you can take that $5k head job down to $2500-$3000. Although, if I had a timing belt break on a 944 I owned, I'd swap it out for a converted 16v unit from Lindsey Racing and have fun from there.

Swapping engines cross-changeover is going to be a bitch. Be prepared to sit around with at least two sets of wiring diagrams trying to tie the newer engine's wiring into the older chassis. They changed over the electricals from that crappy fuse-relay panel in the driver's footwell to a central-electrics system (much like on 964s). Don't forget the DME for the later engine as well.

Just to repeat myself: Automatics = part them out. You'll be in over your head switching over to a manual trans as you'd need the bellhousing, driveshaft, transmission, axles, linkage, shifter, different center console.

Part them out and post on the Pelican Parts board.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.