Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch Cable Installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tyler
Has anyone installed one of these "Terrys"? A tech article says their expensive (which I don't mind for quality) and there's "too much cable." I don't know what's meant by "too much cable."
Any problems with the installation? It seems straightforward, but there's usually something unexpected.
TravisNeff
Very straightforward. The cable itself might be a little thicker than stock, it has been a long time since I have looked at one.

I personally like the stock cables vs. the Terry, better fit at the firewall and less $$.
Trevorg7
I replaced mine 18 months ago with a Terry cable. I've had no problems. No issue with length either.

Hardest part was the clevis pin at the peddle assembly.

T
Dr Evil
The only tip I can think of is to cut a small piece of tube to put on the threaded cable end at the clutch arm so you dont have to go so far to cinch the nut down.
914-8
I've used Terry cables in the past.

I've found them to work, but they are too long (at least they were on my stock 4 cylinder cars).

I modified them to fit, by cutting them down with a Dremel. Not quite as easy as it sounds, because you have to cut the end of the cable housing off, then cut a section of the housing out and reattach the end, but it's do-able. I found that while they worked when too long, the feel was MUCH better when shortened.

Oddly, while the factory cables seem to be a bit shorter than the Terrys, I found I liked the feel of the factory cables when shortened a bit, too. I know the cable needs to have some "slack" to make up for some engine/trans movement, but they seem to have quite a bit of extra length to them, and I've shortened them down with no problem.
SirAndy
i just ordered a 914-6 clutch cable from AA and installed it today.

it's thicker than the stock /4 cable and went in without any trouble. perfect fit and should be plenty strong ...
bye1.gif Andy
914Sixer
I use stock 914-6 cables on everything. They are only $4 bucks more and more heavy duty.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.