Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: clutch cable adjustment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
evan
The nut on my clutch cable adjustment rod keeps backing off, should there be two nuts or what. How far do I tighten it up. Or how far should I need to push in the clutch pedal to engage or disengage the clutch.
PeeGreen 914
Well, the one that is suposed to be on there is a nylock(sp?). However, if you don't have one on there you can do the two nut thing. You want it adjusted so that the pedal is no more than 1/4 way to the top before it engages. Mine is about 1/3, but I always have another on hand in case biggrin.gif
SGB
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Jun 11 2007, 08:38 PM) *

Well, the but that is suposed to ...biggrin.gif

???

Um, yeah, I use two as well. Not a lot of threads showing back at the clutch end. If it is too tight it will slip.
Cap'n Krusty
Early cars originally came with 2 nuts (7mm), IIRC. Many have been replaced with nylocs. HOWEVER, if your cable keeps losing adjustment, the FIRST thing you should check is the clutch cable tube where it exits the firewall. If there are cracks there, or the tube is loose, report back for instructions. The Cap'n
evan
Have a good amount of threads showing. Could not find the correct size nylock nut at Lowes. 7mm right??
PeeGreen 914
yup. Not something Lowes would have. Maybe try a specialty place. Do they have Tacoma Screw around there?
Dr Evil
Actually, you may hay a 7/16 nut on yours. Some are standard, actually, many are.
SirAndy
metric. two of them. never had any trouble that way.

and i agree with the cap'n, check the clutch tube for loosage ...
bye1.gif Andy
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 11 2007, 08:34 PM) *

Actually, you may hay a 7/16 nut on yours. Some are standard, actually, many are.

Say what? The Cap'n
Dave_Darling
I found that the Nyloc nuts still backed off on my clutch cable. So I just double-nutted the damn thing.

--DD
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 12 2007, 02:33 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 11 2007, 08:34 PM) *

Say what? The Cap'n

Yes all knowing, all seeing, tis true I tell you. Might have been a few Terry cables.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.