Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Windshield Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xsurfer
I have seen quite a few people leave their windshield in while painting.

I have also heard that the windshield rubber isn't available oem. Is there a source for windshield rubber.

I want to show the car.

Thanks

914Sixer
You maybe talking about two different items. The front windshield is held in by buytl(sp) selant. The lower part of the dash has a rubber gasket like the back window. The gasket that was said to be no longer available is the top windshield seal. It is now readily available.
VaccaRabite
Be warned. It is an absolute bitch to take your windshield out w/o breaking it. The Butyl tape just tends to seal up behind you right after you saw through it.

Zach
Tobra
I myself will be tackling this soon. No need to salvage the windshield as it is too badly pitted and cracked. What about removing trim without damaging it? Any trick to that aside from being careful? How about keeping the little number badge on the driver's side of windshield, or putting it back in, is it attached to frame or just stuck into the butyl tape?

Sorry, no intent to hijack
PeeGreen 914
Removing the molding you just need to be careful and you will get it out nicely. On the glass side of it I have always just laid on my back and, with tennis shoes on, gone around the windshield little by little. I have not broken one yet, but that is just waiting to happen as removing them without braking them can be a real b!t@h.
dinomium
Mine just popped out last October and slid down the hood! ohmy.gif I need to get out there and glue it back in! I did have trouble sourcing the windshield to cowl gasket, but now it seems that AA has them...
sww914
I cut them out with a utility knife, with old butyl tape you can spray the blade repeatedly with WD-40.
Don't do the WD-40 if yo're prepping for paint, it causes fisheyes like it was made for that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.