Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield out for paint?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
xsurfer
Why do some of us leave the windshield in? I can't understand not removing the windshield while painting. How do you assure yourself that no problems await without taking the windshield out?

Is there windshield rubber available. I want to show the car.

Thanks

Gene
Ferg
I think it comes down to "how far" you are going with the resto...

You say you want to show it, so yes, take it out... Keep these things in mind.

1. If you have a original sigla windshield, find a expert, it's not easy to remove the glass without damaging or breaking it.

2. Same goes for the metal trim, find someone "old school" that has experience with metal trim work. Not some mobile glass place 20 year old.

3. Be prepared for a surprise (rust) in the lower corners.

I think many leave it in for those reasons as well, as it's easy to just remove the trim targa seal ect and paint. Once the metal trim is reinstalled you would not be able to tell...

Ferg

stevesc_us
For me the big reason is the damn metal trim. Once you remove it to get the windshield out it is next to impossible to get put in back in place without it being bent. It just won't fit back as flush against the glass again. Ofcourse if your metal trim is not in great shape to begin with, I would put new metal trim when the windshield is reinstalled. I do hear, however, that the trim pieces are no longer being made, but I gotta believe someone like AA can get them for you.
Pat Garvey
Well, to remove it you have to remove the trim. To do so without bending it (in the slightest) is VERY difficult. To replace it is mucho costo IF you can find it.

The biggest reason for not removing the windshield is that most shops will not take responsibility if it cracks. Oh sure, they'll find you a cobbled up windshield from Taiwan (or worse), but you WILL pay DEARLY for it.

No reason it can't stay in - unless you have rust around the edges, AND they can properly mask (which ain't rocket science).

Unless you're doing a major resto, for concours or resale to that market, or your windshield is cracked, or your trim is shit - leave it in. Just be sure that the shop knows WHY you're leaving it in & what you expect from them.
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.