Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Wheel of Choice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HalM
Somewhere in the past, my '73 picked up an after market steering wheel. The PO then replaced whatever was on the car with a 320mm Momo Monte Carlo. I like the wheel but it blocks all the usable parts of the tach and speedometer. And I think seeing the tach during a DE in 3 weeks will be important since the motor doesn't have a rev limiter! biggrin.gif

So I am thinking about replacing it with a 350mm Prototipo or maybe the 350mm Monte Carlo.

What else should I look at? I loved a 930S in my '70 911 but that is a lot more money. Other recommendations, please.
type47fan
I like the retro GT style look. . . .all gauges in plain sight. Of course, mine is currently on jackstands so I'm not worried about handling or revs, at this time biggrin.gif .
HalM
Wayne, that would be ideal. Is that a reproduction or the real deal? If a reproduction, where can I buy one?
blitZ
I have an older 13.5 inch Momo and really like the feel and extra knee room. It would be hard to go back to a standard size wheel. I think I would try repositioning my tach first.
type47fan
QUOTE(HalM @ Jun 12 2007, 07:26 PM) *

Wayne, that would be ideal. Is that a reproduction or the real deal? If a reproduction, where can I buy one?

It's the standard skinny grip leather wrapped 380mm wheel with an early 911/912 horn button. The logo center piece is a vinyl reproduction I got on ebay for $20. The metal ring is currently being rechromed. Good luck with your decision and project.

See below:

I originally had a very nice, small diameter, fat grip, mid '70s Racemark RAID wheel, but had the same problem you mentioned of not being able to see the gauges. Wheel would benefit with a spacer as I kept clipping the wiper lever while turning.
HalM
Thanks again Wayne. that is a great looking wheel you have.

Les, I guess you are saying that the 350mm size wheel doesn't eliminate my problem? I really need to find a 380mm wheel?
Allan
Momo Pilota
woobn8r
Prototipo is the ONLY way to go....
I have a racemark too, but I won't use it on the teener....
AZ914
I have a 350mm Momo Competition. I love the wheel but it does block the tops of the gauges.. I sit high though at 6'3" so perhaps if you sit a little lower, it would be ok.

I really appreciate the additional legroom over the old stocker. You can always rotate the tach a bit to get the important parts in view.
eg914
Here is my vote for the Prototipo. I have one, and it does not block the tach from view. I am 6'2", and the top of the tach is actually blocked from view by the hood over the gauges (though not enough to be a problem). The Prototipo does block the upper right portion of the speedo and the upper left portion of the gas gauge.

It is also the best looking steering wheel in my most humble opinion.
PeeGreen 914
Bad pic, but it is all I have on hand. It is a Dino. I want a new one, but I have other things to buy first.
nomore9one4
This is the one I have. Looks great,but conceals the gauges and is too small. Of course it does not matter,the car has not left the garage in 3 years(and it runs) dry.gif
jasons
Well I keep seeing it mentioned, but no pics.... Prototipo

I like Waynes OG wheel too.

BigDBass
I have a LeCarra Mark 4 GT waiting to be installed:
IPB Image
HalM
Thanks for all the pictures and ideas. It has been a lot of help.

I think after seeing Jasons photo, my only remaining question is Silver or Black spokes?
szuccaro
Dino
Kargeek
How about an 80's 911 wheel..back splines shortened and 914 horn ring and turn signal cam adapted to backside.
jonferns
IPB Image
IPB Image
--JON
N14
Will be installed this weekend:
marks914
Pulled the ratty Dino 13" wheel and replaced it with this
Grant 13.75" leather one.
I will probably hit the polished spokes with satin clear to match the brushed alminum accents on the IP.

Mark
JohnM
Regarding steering wheel choice, a couple other things you might want to consider besides the diameter vs. guage view factor:

1. With no finger grip bumps on the back of the wheel and no other grip contouring at all such as on a Prototipo (and others), during hard cornering like on AX or repeated laps on a track day or on a long, hard, twisty drive you will be wishing you had something better to get a grip on, especially when your hands start sweating. It is a bad feeling when you are worrying about the wheel slipping out of your hands and having to apply superman grip strength to hold it creates a lot of stress and fatigue, especially true for the smaller diameter wheels as there is less leverage.

2. With a non-stock wheel you may want to add a spacer between the adapter and wheel or option for a longer adapter to bring the wheel farther away from the wiper and turn signal switch arms. Without a spacer the standard momo adapter and shallow or non-dished wheel leaves about a finger's width clearance, which I found to be a bit too much on the tight side. The spacer will help a little with guage view issue as well by moving the wheel up a bit and gives a more comfortable seat/arm/wheel postion as well.

I like the vintage look of the Prototipo and feel it would be perfect if it had the finger grips. I am using the 350mm Monte Carlo with Momo adapter and 1 1/4 inch spacer now and find the grip contouring adequate and comfortable (much better than the smooth Prototipo) but IMO finger grips would make this one even better, too. John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.