Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Will a 1970 Steering column fit in a 1975?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
poohsan
I did a search and I’m still confused.

Will a complete 1970 Steering column, housing switches and wheel fit in a 1975?

I ask because I just purchased one on ebay and well I think I messed up.

Arron

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
bondo
Bad news: No, a 1970 column won't fit in a 1975. (easily)

Good news: That is not a 1970 column.
poohsan
Can anyone identify the model year of this column?

I might sleep better tonight.

Thanks,
Arron
bondo
It has a wiper switch on it, so the short answer is it's what you want. I'm not 100% sure all the wire colors will be the same, but it should have all the wires you need. I don't know what year it is, just that it's a "late" one. Not sure of the cutoff year, but it's either 72 or 73. (73 for sure has the late column, 71 for sure has the early one)
markb
That column will work fine in a 75. The only thing it may not have is the 4th position on the wiper stalk for the intermittent feature. The wiring should be the same (even the 70/71 wiring for the wiper switch has the same color wiring as the later).
poohsan
What a relief!
I hate spending money and not being able to fix the problem.

Next Question: Does anyone know where I can find the female plug from wiring harness for the wiper switch?

The PO cut the plug from the harness. @#$%!
SLITS
If the dumpster hasn't left I might be able to come up with both pieces ..... yes there are a total of 3 connectors from the main harness .... wiper, headlights and ignition.
914Sixer
The 70,71 cars had a small mounting plate. It is about 10mm smaller al the way around. If you are doing a -6 conversion with a real six column you will need the mounting plate from the chasis.

Your column is a 73-74 because of the chrome ignition switch. 75-76 has a chrome dome with a black plastic surround.
SLITS
If you need the plugs ..... I just rescued them from the dumpster (roll off). Send me a PM with your addy ..........
poohsan
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 13 2007, 11:48 AM) *

If you need the plugs ..... I just rescued them from the dumpster (roll off). Send me a PM with your addy ..........

PM sent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.