Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Check those lug nuts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
URY914
http://www.teamjamoto.com/dixeregionpage.htm

This is why there are tech inspections. Maybe he was too busy puttin' on those race shoes.....
grantsfo
Holy moleee! How did he not feel those wheels moving around? Amazing he actually lost all 4 too.
URY914
I don't how you miss putting ALL the nuts on the car? blink.gif
mudfoot76
I saw this on Jalopnik last night. Apparently his new track wheels required non-stock fitting lug nuts. One of the commentators was at the event and wrote that they were torqued to "spec", but the fit was off just enough that they sheared off once lateral loads were applied WTF.gif

This type of accident gives me the creeps. I often do tech inspections for our DE, and I would feel terrible if I let a car through and this happened. If I know a car has track tires, but pulls up to tech with their street ones on, I won't give them the final OK until I can check the car with track wheels mounted.
Joe Ricard
Stupid people do stupid things.

I know because I is 1 of dem.

What I wanted to see is how they got the car up off the ground and the wheels put back on.

Right lug nuts would be a good idea too. and correct amount of thread engagement.

Hey them Spacers are a bit too big there bubba.

I was called by a 914 guy early this week asking how much torque the lug bolts get. Got a snicker or two after I provided the info and hung up.
SirAndy
WTF.gif

this is funny and scary at the same time ...
driving.gif Andy
PeeGreen 914
I have know idea how anyone could let this happen. All four wheels? WTF.gif
jhadler
Yeah, I saw that a couple days ago.

If it wasn't so tragic (poor car), it'd be hysterical. Really, it looks like it was deliberately staged for the camera. All four wheels at once????

-Josh2
jonferns
see the members rides gallery???

av-943.gifav-943.gifav-943.gifav-943.gifav-943.gifav-943.gifav-943.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
av-943.gifav-943.gifav-943.gifav-943.gifav-943.gifav-943.gifav-943.gif
PeeGreen 914
av-943.gif You would think they would at least choose better cars to do that to poke.gif
DerekKim
Is it just me or are his shorts just a little too short? Yeah I know how he feels... Luckily mine was only one wheel... doh!
PeeGreen 914
WTF.gif Sorry, I wasn't looking at the guys shorts. blink.gif
DerekKim
How could you not they were right there in your face.
Joe Ricard
Um Derek, My mom says you can't come over anymore.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mudfoot76 @ Jun 13 2007, 08:19 AM) *

I saw this on Jalopnik last night. Apparently his new track wheels required non-stock fitting lug nuts. One of the commentators was at the event and wrote that they were torqued to "spec", but the fit was off just enough that they sheared off once lateral loads were applied WTF.gif

This type of accident gives me the creeps. I often do tech inspections for our DE, and I would feel terrible if I let a car through and this happened. If I know a car has track tires, but pulls up to tech with their street ones on, I won't give them the final OK until I can check the car with track wheels mounted.

I am not sure I buy the part about the "sheared off once lateral loads were applied". In the video they are finding and counting lug nuts and were one short. How could they be sheared off if they are finding them and not commenting that they were sheared.
A guy in the Minnesota Autosports Club named Don Gettinger once had a front suspension member break and lost the wheel and the part of the suspension that was outboard. That was spectacular. Not something tech would pick up on...
byndbad914
QUOTE(jhadler @ Jun 13 2007, 10:21 AM) *

Yeah, I saw that a couple days ago.

If it wasn't so tragic (poor car), it'd be hysterical. Really, it looks like it was deliberately staged for the camera. All four wheels at once????

-Josh2

I have to agree here from somewhat of a personal experience with my first car. In this case, the driver hardly covered any real distance to allow the lugs to back off. On the left rear you can see the studs are sheared off, but the other wheels still had studs, implying the fasteners had to fully back off, on the other three wheels, within a few seconds of running.

When I was 16 I bought some used Crager S/S wheels ( aktion035.gif ) for my Mustang. I used a standard mag wheel lug nut with a standard washer - but my wheels were "universal" wheels that had slots so they would fit either Ford, Chevy or Chrysler bolt diameters, and that setup required special offset washers that were eccentric in nature.

So, I puts my wheels on with the wrong washers and heads to skool the next day which was around 5 miles away, and my typical driving style at that time in podunk Iowuh was to run about 100-110mph the whole way (car would top out at 118, and this day was no exception). Everything was fine. I think it was a couple days later in fact (tho' exact timeframe is shady in memory) that I arrived at school after my typical commute velocity and pulled in and the car was shaking rather violently so I quickly parked. All four wheels were in fact missing lug nuts and three of the four were completely loose and held on by maybe one or two nuts that hadn't completely fallen off! But even that took 2 or 3 days of driving and typically at around 100 if it was in the AM.

Even with the right washers those mags would have to be torqued after installation, driven a couple days and completely retorqued to seat and stay. To this day I always check torque on wheels a couple days later and then a couple days later again if they were removed.
jhadler
From another discussion about this, it's possible that the guy was given 1/2" lugs by the tire shop, and not 12 mm. It's a subtle difference, but 12 mm is slightly smaller than 1/2" and there was probably only a couple thousandths of an inch of actual thread that was engaging the stud. Just enough to resist the torque of the wrench, but not enough to survive the lateral loading of race tires on pavement. So the threads just stripped out of the lugs and off they came...

Oh, I don't think the studs sheared, I think they're just short... which would explain why the wheels came off so easilly. Longer studs and at least they might have stayed with the car after shaking violently...

Of course, I could be wrong...

-Josh2
DerekKim
Dang Joe you caught me!

Yeah my lug bolts took a good 7 miles or so to come off. It wasn't instant.
byndbad914
QUOTE(jhadler @ Jun 13 2007, 08:35 PM) *

From another discussion about this, it's possible that the guy was given 1/2" lugs by the tire shop, and not 12 mm. It's a subtle difference, but 12 mm is slightly smaller than 1/2" and there was probably only a couple thousandths of an inch of actual thread that was engaging the stud. Just enough to resist the torque of the wrench, but not enough to survive the lateral loading of race tires on pavement. So the threads just stripped out of the lugs and off they came...

I actually thought of this later as well as a possibility, and that somehow the thread pitch is similar enough too to get them on. Just seems like you would have to be a real dipshit to not notice that. I put every lug nut on my car by hand and run them down on the threads by hand in an attempt to notice if a thread had become "boogered" or damaged and make sure they "feel" right. It is really bad practice to run lugs down with an airgun or wrench of any sort. IMO.

Oh, I don't think the studs sheared, I think they're just short... which would explain why the wheels came off so easilly. Longer studs and at least they might have stayed with the car after shaking violently...

Of course, I could be wrong...

-Josh2

If you watch the vid again you will see the first hub they focus on is the left rear and those studs are sheared off (you don't see protruding studs and you don't see holes, meaning the sheared off stud is left behind plugging them). It looks like I see one hole implying that stud came out or was missing to begin with. The other hubs appear to have complete studs.

It is just crazy that all four came off at one time - the statistical odds of that must be pretty impressive. I need to play poker with this guy for money as with his luck I clearly cannot lose! laugh.gif
sww914
It's a good thing he set the parking brake before he got out, you wouldn't want the car to roll away! av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.