Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Shift Knobs - What are the good ones worth ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
propricer
Have a 914 shift knob that is almost NOS ... anyone want to hazard an estimate of what it would be worth to someone who would appreciate the value - such as a 914-6 owner who does concours ???

On a scale of 1 to 10 where 10 is NOS, what would 5 through 9 be worth ???

Thanx for your guidance
PeeGreen 914
I have sold a few that were perfect for $50 each, and I sold one that was close to perfect for $35.
jasons
I think its the same knob as 911's from that era and since early 911 guys like to spend money, I'm going to say $100+ assuming no cracks in the clear plastic and solid condition.
Brando
I hope it's not the same as a 911... Shift pattern would be real awkward in a tail dragger!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
exact repros in the works, samples look great! They will be $39.50 each

(shouldn't this particular post be in the vendor section??)
PeeGreen 914
I have never seen one on a 911. My '71 didn't have one that look like my 914 nor does my '78. I don't know. I could be wrong. It's happened once or twice before biggrin.gif .
JeffBowlsby
The last 914 NOS shiftknob sold on ebay in Mar 2007 for $202.

I have been tracking NLA parts prices inclduing their condition, for some time now and keep them updated on my webpage here:

http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibles/NLAParts.htm

biggrin.gif
jasons
QUOTE(Brando @ Jun 13 2007, 12:41 PM) *

I hope it's not the same as a 911... Shift pattern would be real awkward in a tail dragger!

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....ight=shift+knob
PeeGreen 914
Well I'll be damned. I guess they are the same. WTF.gif My '72 must have had a newer trany. I know the '78 can't be the same as it is all stock and the R is over with 1st being up.
jasons
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Jun 13 2007, 02:13 PM) *

Well I'll be damned. I guess they are the same. WTF.gif My '72 must have had a newer trany. I know the '78 can't be the same as it is all stock and the R is over with 1st being up.

I'm sure 78 would have a 915 transaxle. I think your 72 should have had a 901, did it have an engine swap? Was it a 4 speed?
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 13 2007, 11:44 AM) *

George is funny laugh.gif

Ferg stole one off of my parts car b/c it was in good shape. So they must be worth something. Especially if it is in Ferg Condition
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(jasons @ Jun 13 2007, 02:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Jun 13 2007, 02:13 PM) *

I'm sure 78 would have a 915 transaxle. I think your 72 should have had a 901, did it have an engine swap? Was it a 4 speed?

Yeah, the owner before me had a new engine put into it. It was his track car. I only owned it for about 6 months as I wanted the '78 I know have.
brer
good clean used one, with no cracking and light wear sold on Pelican last week for $170

PeeGreen 914
Wow, I still have a few that are pristine. Maybe I should see what I can get for one on EVilbay.
Dominic
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 13 2007, 01:36 PM) *

The last 914 NOS shiftknob sold on ebay in Mar 2007 for $202.

I have been tracking NLA parts prices inclduing their condition, for some time now and keep them updated on my webpage here:

http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibles/NLAParts.htm

biggrin.gif

I know someone who paid $500 for an NOS shift knob for their early 911 blink.gif
True Story.
Eric_Shea

72 would be the first year for the 915. 70-71 were the last year for the new style 901 with the push clutch assembly dubbed the 911.

914 Shift Knobs - What are the good ones worth ?

Aren't you supposed to be the "propricer"?? We should be asking you! biggrin.gif

I'd say excellent are bringing $200+ Realistic is around $100
Cap'n Krusty
As usual, I have the REAL answer to your question, and all others like it. That shift knob's value can be found at the point of intersection of what you're willing to take for it and what your buyer is willing to pay for it. No more, no less. You can use my formula to find the price for ANYTHING. The Cap'n
Eric_Shea
pray.gif How "does" he do it?? confused24.gif

biggrin.gif
propricer
With STYLE !!!
Ferg
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Jun 13 2007, 03:07 PM) *

George is funny laugh.gif

Ferg stole one off of my parts car b/c it was in good shape. So they must be worth something. Especially if it is in Ferg Condition

"stole" confused24.gif I gave the guy five bucks biggrin.gif

I think nice one's are 100 plus, NOS or perfect one's 200+++

Ferg
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jun 13 2007, 06:22 PM) *

"stole" confused24.gif I gave the guy five bucks biggrin.gif

I think nice one's are 100 plus, NOS or perfect one's 200+++

I rest my case...........tongue.gif

I still feel bad about that old lady with the 911....
that lived in a shoe....
with her 10 grandchildren sad.gif
Porsche Rescue
A decent one just went for $41 on Ebay. Someone got a deal.
A couple of years ago real nice ones were $75+. Much more now.
type47fan
I sold this one last year to a guy in northern California for $170.00 biggrin.gif I believe he subsequently sold it for much more to someone in Japan.

How I Feel About It!
thomasotten
You know, one of the things I always hated about getting the car inspected is explaining the gearing. For that reason, I am going back to the stock knob.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Here is a picture of a couple of crude prototypes!
mzapisek
George,

When can we expect to see the final product for sale?
bbrown
I've got 2, one on the car and a spare. At least $50 for an OK one. Try to find one w/o cracking. Nearly impossible. Crush rings are avaiable at your local P-car dealer.
propricer
For those who contributed, a 901 knob just sold on eBay at $ 375.02.
Anyone who has a 'jewel' for sale at less than $100, I'll buy it !!!
Allan
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Jun 13 2007, 06:30 PM) *

A decent one just went for $41 on Ebay. Someone got a deal.
A couple of years ago real nice ones were $75+. Much more now.

There you go....
iamchappy
It's easy to make and old crummy crazed cracked one look new again, all it takes is a buffing wheel.
JeffBowlsby
Look at the bidders on that $375 knob auction...

Bidder 7 places multiple bids, only running up his his own bid amount, then Bidder 4 snags it at top dollar. Bidder 7 has been ebay registered...only 1 day.

Do you smell what I smell?
robby750
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Jun 23 2007, 12:10 AM) *

It's easy to make and old crummy crazed cracked one look new again, all it takes is a buffing wheel.

What do you buff it with?
iamchappy
Rouge,and a buffing wheel mounted on a bench grinder. I like the Tripoli on plastic any rouge made for plastic will work.
914-8
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 22 2007, 11:00 PM) *

Look at the bidders on that $375 knob auction...

Bidder 7 places multiple bids, only running up his his own bid amount, then Bidder 4 snags it at top dollar. Bidder 7 has been ebay registered...only 1 day.

Do you smell what I smell?

Bidder 7 wasn't running up his own bid. You don't understand how proxy bidding and the e-bay system works.
PeeGreen 914
agree.gif It was someone that kept bidding, but #7 had set his limit higher than the bid of the other. So every time the other guy bid bidder #7 came out ahead.
Porsche Rescue
Still crazy money! I said "a lot more" but not that much more! Time to go mining for black nuggets at every swap meet in the land! I think it is the early 911 crowd that is driving the market, not NARP drivers.
boxstr
Which way to the Vendors Section????
CCLIN914NATION
914-8
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Jun 23 2007, 09:39 AM) *

agree.gif It was someone that kept bidding, but #7 had set his limit higher than the bid of the other. So every time the other guy bid bidder #7 came out ahead.

Almost, but not quite.

If you look at the auction bid history, you can tell what happened. It went like this:

The eventual winner, Bidder 4, had entered an initial proxy bid of at least $375.

Bidder 7 came in with an initial bid of $316.99. As soon as he entered that bid, he was notified that he had been outbid (by Bidder 4's proxy bid, which automatically bid to $321.99 on his behalf).

However, Bidder 4's $316.99 does not show on the bid history, because it was an automatic proxy bid, and those don't show up on the history.

So Bidder 7 upped his bid to the next minimum increment, $321.99. And was again outbid by Bidder 4's automatic proxy bid, which would have come in at $326.99.

Bidder 7 tried again at $331.99, same thing happened.

And so forth and so on, until Bidder 7 finally gave up, and Bidder 4 won it at $375.
bembry

exact repros in the works, samples look great! They will be $39.50 each

Sounds great George--I'll buying one of the repros--$375 for original one on ebay is NOT for me. beerchug.gif
Porsche Rescue
I see the future! If George's repro is a real good "counterfeit" we may soon be debating whether or not an Ebay offering is factory or not!
Or more likely, the bottom will drop out of the "original" market. Then again, maybe George will decide $395 is a better price for the repro. Let the good times roll!
bmendel
Someone is likely to be very disappointed on that ebay knob, I bought that exact same knob about 8 months ago (for a lot less). Seems the seller has a really nice picture that he keeps re-using to sell used knobs that aren't even close to the condition in the picture. On the good side, at least he did refund my money when I called him on it.

anyone want to guess what George's knobs will go for on ebay when they first come out and people don't realize they are readily available?
propricer
Interesting ... I had EXACTLY the same experience with that seller a year or more ago. The quality of the knob I received was NO where near the one in the pix and, as it turns out, he keeps using the same pix so there must be MANY disappointed buyers. As with you, he took it back for a full refund but someone should call him on the practice of not using the actual pix of the knob for sale.

Still looking for the good ones ....
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(bmendel @ Jun 25 2007, 09:55 AM) *

Someone is likely to be very disappointed on that ebay knob, I bought that exact same knob about 8 months ago (for a lot less). Seems the seller has a really nice picture that he keeps re-using to sell used knobs that aren't even close to the condition in the picture. On the good side, at least he did refund my money when I called him on it.

anyone want to guess what George's knobs will go for on ebay when they first come out and people don't realize they are readily available?

and of course when we introduce it we will clearly state that it is a reproduction but exact and one that I approve of! It will be available in 901 and 915 shift patterns.
bmendel
I have no doubt you'll advertise/sell it as a repro, I just don't have a lot of confidence in some of the people who will buy them from you, and immediately resell them. Like the guy who sells repro hood badges using the term "original" to describe the appearance while insinuating the badge is what is original, and gets 2-3x the price the parts houses sell them for. Half the "NOS" or "Rare" stuff he sells is just new parts available at Stoddard for half to a third what he asks...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.