Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Billstein Front Struts/Inserts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nor.Cal.914
Do I need Billstein front struts to run Billstein gas inserts? Let me know please. Thanks
-Chris
PeeGreen 914
huh.gif I don't get what you are asking.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Nor.Cal.914 @ Jun 13 2007, 05:26 PM) *

Do I need Billstein front struts to run Billstein gas inserts? Let me know please. Thanks
-Chris

nope! drop right in! Don't even have to remove the tire!
Nor.Cal.914
I'm asking if I can put a Billstein gas insert into a stock 914 strut (911 actually since I converted). I was worried that I may have to buy a Billstein strut in order to use their gas inserts up front. But apparently I can use my current struts! Thanks
-Chris
Dave_Darling
What 911 strut do you have? Some of them are pretty specific... What color are the housings?

I think the Doc was assuming you had stock 914 struts, not 911 ones.

--DD
davep
Yes, you have to be very specific as to the strut you have. Basically there are Bilstein inserts for pretty much every strut, but they are all different. There are strut inserts for a stock 914/4 strut but the special 914/4 Bilstein strut takes a completely different part. There are Bilstein, Koni, Boge and Sachs struts for the 911.
Nor.Cal.914
Well unfortunately I don't know the exact year of the strut I have. When I bought the conversion setup the P.O. was unable to specify which year they came from, but apparently they are early 911 struts. That's all I know so I think I'm better off not getting Billstein inserts just because of the fact that I don't know specifically which year I have. Thanks
-Chris
Dave_Darling
What color are the housings? Are the inserts held in by a pin?

--DD
Nor.Cal.914
Well it's all been painted black so I'm not sure if it's a different color than that. The inserts are held in by a large nut that tightens down into the bottom half of the strut. Thanks
-Chris
brp914
where do you get gas shocks? If they look like this, they are bil struts. Note roll pin at bottom. also, measure distance between caliper mount holes.

brp914
oops, like this...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.