Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So I drove my first 914 yesterday...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seejay5
I had listed my 1984 300D Benz on craiglist and said that I might be interested in trade for an older VW. I got a call from a guy that said he had a '73 porsche 914 and wanted to know if I was interested in a trade for the benz. I drove about 90 miles to Ocean City Yesterday to go look at the car and got to drive it about 15 miles. I really liked the ride but knew that the car was no where near a straight trade for the benz. Theres probably 2 weeks of body work in the car before paint and quite a few things that are rigged up to drive but not put together right. Luckily the guy has 3 other 914s so we are gonna work out a deal for parts with the car.

A few quick specs:
Converted to 1.8 8 Valve VW engine (Watercooled)
Engine originally had Digifant II FI but was converted to a 2 Barrel carb
Big hood scoop looking thing in front for radiator
Alignment issues, car is sitting way lower than stock\
Wont stay in 1st gear-its a tail shift so that might be part of the problem

All in all I think Im gettin an okay deal but I figured Id throw it up here and see what you guys think. Im a watercooled VW guy so I dont know much about these cars to begin with.

JerryP
popcorn[1].gif
URY914
This is some kind of a joke right? confused24.gif

Ferg
What was your Benz worth???

Hard to say what's fair, to many variables, but on the surface, I would say no deal...

Ferg
VaccaRabite
I have never seen radiator placement like that before.

If you wante dot be free of the big scoop, I bet it would be pretty easy to take a good hood from a parts car, and put the radiator below the bumper. There are lots of threads about lower mounted radiators on here.

Being as the car is an OC car _CHECK IT FOR RUST_!!!!!!

If you don't know a lot about 914s, look on the passenger side behind the rocker panel (where the jack point is. Also, make a point of looking under the battery tray (passenger side, where the frame meets the firewall in the engine bay. I am going to guess that those two areas are going to be riddled with rust. This is bad, as that is the backbone of the car, and is a lot more then 2 weeks worth of work to fix.

914s did not have galvanized steel bodies, so they tend to rust pretty bad. The car you are trading for, as it has been reengined, and modified in a way that would put off most people looking for a 914 (the hood scoop) would have very little resale value if you decided to get rid of it a little down the road. Check it very carefully. if you spring for it, post back and let us know. Tons of info on this board, and we will help any way that we can.

If it was me, though, I'd probably pass on it. If you just sold the 300D, you could buy a nicer 914 then what you are going to trade for. I fear that it is going to cost you thousands to make that white car right, or even safe.

Zach
messix
uhm................................NO! icon8.gif
BMXerror
barf.gif I'd go drive a REAL 914 before settling on anything. I mean, if this car's really your cup of tea, then go for it. However, it'll be tough to find any kind of technical or parts support for such a custom job. I personally wouldn't be hauled dead in the trunk of that thing, but that's just me.
Mark D.
1970 Neun vierzehn
icon8.gif words escape me.
jonferns
av-943.gif av-943.gif im sorry, but when I scrolled down, and saw that scoop, I almost fell off my already wobbly computer chair....av-943.gif av-943.gif eh, I dont like it...but thats just me biggrin.gif how many 914's is he giving you in trade for the benz??? --JON biggrin.gif
PeeGreen 914
av-943.gif I think everyone is thinking the same thing here. "Hey, look at the kid with the really big nose." av-943.gif Who would do such a thing to the beautiful lines of a 914 WTF.gif
jonferns
yup...still laughing.... av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
914nerd
I personally don't like the look that much, but to each his own
How does the motor install look, what are the specs on it, and what overall shape is the car in
The nose can be replaced if need me and it won't cost too much
Also, what's the value of the Benz? and what other parts is he willing to throw in?
It could be a good deal or a crappy one depending on these and other factors
bbrown
What the hell is that?
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(914nerd @ Jun 14 2007, 12:59 PM) *

I personally don't like the look that much, but to each his own
How does the motor install look, what are the specs on it, and what overall shape is the car in
The nose can be replaced if need me and it won't cost too much
Also, what's the value of the Benz? and what other parts is he willing to throw in?
It could be a good deal or a crappy one depending on these and other factors

agree.gif Yes, all laughing aside. This could be a good car if you get some good stuff with it.

But I can't stop laughing at that hood av-943.gif av-943.gif
orange914
not to discourage your interest in 914's, but i think you'd end up hating them after trying to get that one usable. i always try to find untampered with vehicles unless of course it's a parter car. -nothing worse than chasing past owners hack jobs- beer3.gif i would think you could buy a much nicer one w/ the cash fom the benz. what kinda book does the benz have?
mike welcome.png
mzapisek
I would pass on a car with that many stories. Sell the Benz and buy a 914 with a better history.
sww914
That kind of a conversion is worth about the same as the change in your pocket. If the hood is any indication of the quality of the work, that thing belongs on a ranch hauling shit around on dirt roads.
914's are great cars, just not that one.
Keep looking.
nomore9one4
I am speechless! blink.gif
N14
To each their own but that car is horrible barf.gif
BMXerror
QUOTE(mzapisek @ Jun 14 2007, 01:09 PM) *

I would pass on a car with that many stories. Sell the Benz and buy a 914 with a better history.

agree.gif Much better put than my reply. I was still in shock, I think. Seriously though, don't jump into a deal just because it's available. If I were you, I'd sell the Benz and lurk around here to get a car that hasn't been that jack around with. At the minimum, I would see if I could drive a stockish one first to decide if you want a 914, or you want THAT 914. I also would question the quality of the engine swap on a car with.... THAT done to it.... Sorry... If you're in love, I don't mean to rip on the object of your affection, but that thing is something else. You can't deny that.
Mark D.
P.S. Enjoying your popcorn, Jerry?
iamchappy
First thing that comes to mind is Gustl car question what is it... maybe some sort of Studebaker ...
jonferns
yea...go for an original as possible car...that will give the car a better value knowing that most of the parts are original, and it wasnt tinkered with....and maybe one that wasnt repainted??? ---JON biggrin.gif
So.Cal.914
blink.gif Aaaaaah, I would have to agree...with everyone. Get yourself a basiclly

stock 914 to start, I think you would be much happier. Besides wouldn't you like

to fuch it up yourself rather than getting one fuched up by someone else.

If you love 914's set if free, if it dosen't come back, count your blessings.
nomore9one4
I think we scared the guy off confused24.gif Only one post! unsure.gif
PeeGreen 914
Well, I guess if he was going to get that 914 he would hate us all anyways. I don't see how that car would make a happy teener. That thing is just weird. blink.gif
PanelBilly
I think he should buy it and report back frequently on the things he has found. I need the entertainment. On second thought, I hate to see anybody make bad decisions......Run away from that car!
URY914
He should have posted his question on uglyasscarsforum.com

made ya click biggrin.gif
Brando
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 14 2007, 07:49 PM) *
He should have posted his question on uglyasscarsforum.com

redirects to a lambo forum? confused24.gif
DonTraver
That is just so wrong, run away, run away.
rhodyguy
you still haven't driven a 914. sorry man.

k
Pat Garvey
RUN! FAST! Away from this abomination!

It's UGLY!

It's purposeless!

It's UGLY!

So, what's the purpose of the front "scoop"? To cool the spare tire?

Did I mention it's UGLY?

Better off putting your cash into a Yugo. At least they'll be "cute' in about 15 years - this.....UGLY?
thomasotten
My six year old son exclaimed "oh, please!" when he saw it...
bottomend
Dont listen to these guys. Grab the hood ornament from the Benz and you'll see all these haters lining up to bid/drool/copy this "hella ride". yikes.gif yikes.gif yikes.gif yikes.gif yikes.gif yikes.gif yikes.gif yikes.gif yikes.gif yikes.gif yikes.gif yikes.gif
914nerd
I would have to find out more about the actual workmanship involved in the transplant
It is possible that things are mechanically sound, and the person just had very strange taste
The only part you can really see (as it dominates he picture) is the scoop on the front
But, with another front lid and some reworking, the radiator could be moved down into an aesthetically better position
To each his own

Not that I don't appreciate the general crustiness of this club, but perhaps people could have heard this person out a little more and he might have gained from the experiences and knowledge of other club members

This is only my $.02

Still, this person only got one post in before becoming discouraged and I think that that is not in the true spirit of this site

Now let me put on some nomex and let the flame begin
seejay5
Hey all sorry for not replying sooner I had to work three 14 hour days in a row and didnt much feel like getting on a computer.

The Benz is probably worth around $2500. I base that on the fact that everything works its just really ugly cosmetically.

Yeah I cant say I really like the way the hood scoop looks either, but it wouldn't be the first car Ive owned I had to cut the shit out of to fit an intercooler or radiator. (I once cut almost the whole front off an original Mini to fit an intercooler for a turbo build.) And maybe thats why it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it bothers you guys; I owe no loyalty to Porsche so I don't really care if I gotta hack one up.

The guy is going to throw in a parts car with the deal its a 73 -4, with no title and missing a lot of small parts but all the big juicy stuff is there.

As far as the quality of the conversion, theres a lot of things I would have done differently:

1. Water lines run underneath of car and are very exposed to speed bumps.
2. I have no clue why they abandoned Digi 2 FI for a carb (I've done a lot of work with Digi and its a good setup as long as your not using boost)
3. the way the radiator sits right now it looks like it would actually clear a stock hood but getting air to it would be tricky.
4. Still havent figured out the No 1st gear issue. Probably a Tailshift linkage issue.

Until next time, heres another picture of the car you all have grown to hate:Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
crash914
I have a spare hood....

that car is just plain ugly. I also like the bumper tits and rivs...
PeeGreen 914
Hey. If the rest of the car looks like you could do some nice stuff to it I think you should get it. The people here are actually very helpful. We sometimes question why people try so damn hard to ruin a beautiful car like the 914, but if you were to get it it would be nice as I am sure you would help it be a much better car. Try to get as much 914 stuff from this guy as you can. As long as it is a solid roller you can really do a lot with it.
jonferns
true...very true...biggrin.gif
seejay5
Structurally the unibody looked good. Im planning on pulling it in the shop (I have a 6000 sq ft shop at my house) and completely stripping so I can clean it up. Ill probably put one of my extra VW 8 Valve motors that I rebuilt in there with the Digi2 FI. I just gotta find a place to mount the ecu and I gotta upgrade the fuel pump. Im going to try to get him to throw in a parts car so I can do the low radiator mount. Im not sure yet but I might copy the motor setup I built for a golf. It used a 2.0 ABA wit h Megasquirt standalone on 14 lbs of boost. Nice daily driver and put down 230 hp at the wheels, which should move a little 914 quite nicely.
PeeGreen 914
Sounds like you are going to creat a monster. We want pic of the progress.....Please biggrin.gif If you have any questions or need any help I am sure you will be able to find many that live near you from here.
PeeGreen 914
Oh, and if you want to know a better way to mount the radiator there are many threads on here about it. I am sure many would be happy to help you figure out a way to do that so you can fit a normal hood on there.
Dr Evil
For the missing 1st gear issue, I would ask if the guy blocked 1st because he was expecting the engine to be too powerful for 1st. If not, then you will need to at least replace some expensive 1st gear parts.
seejay5
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 17 2007, 01:47 PM) *

For the missing 1st gear issue, I would ask if the guy blocked 1st because he was expecting the engine to be too powerful for 1st. If not, then you will need to at least replace some expensive 1st gear parts.

Very interesting. The guy I am buying it from did not perform the conversion. When I went for a test drive the car would go into first, but as soon as you let the clutch out it would pop out of gear. And you can hold it in there either. It actually drives pretty nice without 1st but i'd really like first gear; if only for getting the car sideways. driving.gif
Dr Evil
The thing is, these tranzaxles are not meant to do a whole lot of "getting the car sideways." If you want to do that then you will benefit better from a 915, 930, etc transmission. The fact that first is there, but cant be kept engauged tells me that it is toast - Slider $500, Synchro band $66, Teeth $150

If it drives well from 2nd then your engine is likely too torqy for the stock 1st and is probably why your 1st is soo bad (was beaten and wornout).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.