Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELP NEEDED! WAS going to go to WCR tommorow!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orange914
BAD NEWS!Click to view attachment
i dont know what to say, but here goes...
we're excited (especially kenny) about tomorrows trip to wcr. well- we are on our way to get gas tonight, the 914 just got on behind us as we entered the freeway. the 914 shut off then pulled off.
got it towed home, fuel pump coming on, wont start with knock (light). not sure if its mechanical or possibly in ign. has pertronix.
grounded coil, still light knock. suspect if mechanical it dropped a valve, except they were just adjusted (professionally) about 500 miles ago (sounded purfect/ not tight).
it was just driven and looked over at reputable porshe shop a week ago for the trip and it's a low mile very well maintained car. 1.7 d-jet.
ANY INPUT OR ??
bummed in ceres

209-537-3749
or call
tweeter
not to change topic...but what wheels do you have they look really nice
computers4kids
Mine shutoff for no good reason last week at a stop light...everthing checked out except no spark. Turned-out to be a 2 month pertronix unit that decided to just go bad. I have had bad luck with those ignitors...even though I love their simplicty. I'm tired of being left on the side of the road....went back to points.

Funny thing, went to two different FLAPS in my area to pickup a dwell meter (figure I might as well go all the way), and in both instances the guys behind the counters didn't evern know what a dwell meter was...that's scary...and ended up not even carrying them any longer. It even took two clerks at Sears before I found one that even knew what a dwell meter was! dry.gif Finally picked-up a nice unit online at Harbor Freight.

PS Sorry for your break down...how disappointing... BTW, beautiful car...other than the old Shelby's, I never have liked orange all that much....I must admit, 914's look pretty awesome in signal orange! piratenanner.gif
r_towle
I called him last night, midnight my time.
Using the phone, and three people we checked fuel, gas and spark.
All of that works. Got it started again, loud clack/clunk sound.
Hard to tell over the phone, sounded like a dropped valve.
For all I know, it could have been something simple.
The motor may have dropped a valve seat, or had some sort of valve train issue, loose rocker, stud etc.
When I finally hung up, they were going to remove the valve covers to see if anything obvious was going on..

Seeing as I am in Mass, I could not go over there and help.
I would have if I was anywhere close.
Well, I ended up calling McMark on his cell, told him the situation, gave him the phone number, and left it in his hands.

I would think that a road trip at 10-11pm on the eve of the WCR to rescue a 914 would have been totally appropriate, so I hope its all good and Kenny and Mike are all good to go.

They had two junk motors, many good heads, all the same size.
So, they had what was needed to get it done, but maybe the extra help would make sure it got done.

dunno.

Rich
Justinp71
I had a dropped valve seat once and the motor wouldn't turn past the cylinder that dropped the seat.

Maybe an exhaust leak or something with the rockers...

Thoughs wheels are called western wheels.
r_towle
with 400 914 owners or more in CA, you guys really need to think about how to help this guy, versus what wheels he has.

Go over there, show the 914World how we unite to fix a broken 914.

Stop talking, actions speak louder than words.

I know that Brad would have driven the two or three hours to get this done, no questions asked.
smj
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 16 2007, 08:44 AM) *

with 400 914 owners or more in CA, you guys really need to think about how to help this guy, versus what wheels he has.

If I were any use in an engine bay, I would. I passed on the auto-x and am at loose ends here at WCR, if somebody needs unskilled hands or a lift.
Rand

I know that Brad would have driven the two or three hours to get this done, no questions asked.

I am so with you!! Wish I was close enough to step up and help!

HOWEVER, I would not rag on tweeter because he wanted to know about the wheels. (They look like "Westerns" to me.) beerchug.gif

Brad? Brad who? Brad is the man. On some other board. But I haven't seen him around here lately. In my neck of the woods, plenty of guys would step up and go help out. So I appreciate that challenge. Ok, all that aside....

Very cool of you to step up Rich!!!!! beerchug.gif Hope some locals join you.
orange914
QUOTE(tweeter @ Jun 16 2007, 05:46 AM) *

not to change topic...but what wheels do you have they look really nice

thanks, i like them too. they are westerns, weird hard to find lugs though
orange914
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jun 16 2007, 07:17 AM) *

Mine shutoff for no good reason last week at a stop light...everthing checked out except no spark. Turned-out to be a 2 month pertronix unit that decided to just go bad. I have had bad luck with those ignitors...even though I love their simplicty. I'm tired of being left on the side of the road....went back to points.

i had pertronixs in a 76 2.0 l-jet bus. it ran good but under smog test conditions h.c. readings where excessive (more than normal vw!). it was basically shutting off even though you couldnt hear/feel it.
the pertronix are not the problem here unfortunately stromberg.gif
orange914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 16 2007, 08:07 AM) *

I called him last night, midnight my time.
Using the phone, and three people we checked fuel, gas and spark.
All of that works.

Rich

this guy is what makes this club great. smart, very helpful and patient, remember he was dealing with a grouchy dad and a 17 year old. we had to take a short break as we were exhausted and have to regroup and look over our repair options
thanks, rich thumb3d.gif
Johny Blackstain
Just curious... what coil are you running w/ the Pertronix? Thanks.

cool_shades.gif
orange914
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Jun 16 2007, 08:40 AM) *

I had a dropped valve seat once and the motor wouldn't turn past the cylinder that dropped the seat.

Maybe an exhaust leak or something with the rockers...

Thoughs wheels are called western wheels.

unfortunately the 914 was entering the freeway behind us, i would imagine higher rpm's (didnt want to ask). dont get me wrong in wasnt abusive high. but i have a feeling we're looking at pistons and head. i'll be looking inside the engine next week probably.
any input on upgrades for h.p. while i'm in there? (with stock d-jet)
orange914

hey we're game. i'll even feed ya' all! if in fact it dropped a valve and a piston, i figure if the motor is out why not 8.5 compression set and maybe rebuilt heads or ? it would take alittle searching and a few $ but would be the time confused24.gif
orange914
QUOTE(smj @ Jun 16 2007, 11:53 AM) *

If I were any use in an engine bay, I would. I passed on the auto-x and am at loose ends here at WCR, if somebody needs unskilled hands or a lift.

i'm open to any help, i can instruct fairly well as i was a mechanic for 25 years before my accident. maybe we could get a few experianced guys on 914 engine r&r. i've got a equipt shop in back beerchug.gif
mike
orange914
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 16 2007, 07:09 PM) *

cool_shades.gif

i'm running a "flame thrower". probably an overpriced giget but seems to work. got a "blue" coil sitting around, what kind of voltage/amperage are they supossed to put out? and the pertronix, as cheap as it is did improve drivability. someday maybe a real elctronic ign. is there a modern complete f.i./ign. system out there for these?
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(orange914 @ Jun 16 2007, 10:31 PM) *

cool_shades.gif

i'm running a "flame thrower". probably an overpriced giget but seems to work. got a "blue" coil sitting around, what kind of voltage/amperage are they supossed to put out? and the pertronix, as cheap as it is did improve drivability. someday maybe a real elctronic ign. is there a modern complete f.i./ign. system out there for these?

It specifically says in the Pertronix installation instructions not to use a HEI coil & was curious. The flamethrower is a Pertronix product is it not?

cool_shades.gif
orange914
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 16 2007, 07:36 PM) *

QUOTE(orange914 @ Jun 16 2007, 10:31 PM) *

cool_shades.gif

It specifically says in the Pertronix installation instructions not to use a HEI coil & was curious. The flamethrower is a Pertronix product is it not?

cool_shades.gif

good question. i didnt know that, i also dont know if its a pertronix product huh.gif
its supposed to put out more voltage tooth.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(orange914 @ Jun 16 2007, 10:55 PM) *

good question. i didnt know that, i also dont know if its a pertronix product huh.gif

I checked... it is a Pertronix product & it's supposed to be the perfect coil for the Ignitor system.

cool_shades.gif
orange914
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 16 2007, 08:02 PM) *

QUOTE(orange914 @ Jun 16 2007, 10:55 PM) *

I checked... it is a Pertronix product & it's supposed to be the perfect coil for the Ignitor system.

cool_shades.gif

cool, seems to work great thumb3d.gif thanks for checking it out for me. got enough stromberg.gif happening lately to fix
Dave_Darling
Re: dropped seats-- The last one on my car (don't ask!) was tough to diagnose until I noticed my starter cranked rather unevenly. "RR-RR-RR-..-RR-RR-RR-..". One cylinder wasn't providing any resistance to the starter, because it had zero compression.

Might be something simpler than a dropped seat; I hope it is!!

--DD
Tobra
I know a guy with a few motors. PM sent
r_towle
Did you get a chance to take off the valve covers and have a look?

Rich
orange914
QUOTE(Tobra @ Jun 18 2007, 08:29 AM) *

I know a guy with a few motors. PM sent

thanks toby
thought id copy my p.m. i returned to you for all as I HAVE A PLAN! clap56.gif

thanks, thats definately an option that i havent thought about yet.
i just talked to keith (owns a porsche repair shop here in ceres) that has done a few things on it before. he offered to help kenny pull and install the engine in his shop. we would then do the pistons? and or heads here at home.
i've been looking at every options however as cost are an issue. good if we can sell off his parts stash-bad if not blink.gif
i'm thinking the best option would be euro pistons w/ 2.0 plug heads confused24.gif and hustleing up a few hands to guide kenny with engine assembly (on the bench)
what do you think?
mike beerchug.gif

orange914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 18 2007, 08:10 PM) *

Did you get a chance to take off the valve covers and have a look?

Rich

hi rich
thanks again for walking kenny through diag. steps.
we havent pulled the covers yet, but keith (local porsche repair shop owner) today confirmed at minimum there is a dropped seat.
he has graciously offered his shop lift and to help kenny r&r the engine, then we'd bring it home to do piston/cylendar repair (not sure of exacts yet). this is an opertunity to upgrade for alittle power if reasonably possible. but he'll have to move his parts $ stash
mike
McMark
Kenny & Crew, sorry to hear about the unfortunate news. Let me know if there's anything I can do and don't hesitate to call if you have questions. Keep us posted here. We'll be able to help and offer advice. Good luck!
orange914
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 18 2007, 08:26 PM) *

Kenny & Crew, sorry to hear about the unfortunate news. Let me know if there's anything I can do and don't hesitate to call if you have questions. Keep us posted here. We'll be able to help and offer advice. Good luck!

acually i'm looking for advise and will soon be laying down the $'s for repair. when you have a moment i could use a few good ponters before purchasing. heres the post that lays it out. thanks everyone out there giving me some very respectable information already.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t=0#entry913120
mike thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.