Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How would you spend your money?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cbenitah
Just curious to see how you would spend your money.. and yes I will take your answers under consideration smile.gif

wavey.gif by the way, its been a while since I last posted here.. Life is great and car runs real strong

Thanks for your opinion
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
I have a friend that has a 3.6 in his 914. I have rode in it many times, SCARY
FAST, to fast for me. He can light the tires up at just about any speed ,in any gear. I was with him,at 70mph in 5th pulled out to pass a truck,and left 2 black markes as long as he wanted to .
Another friend has a 2.7 built well i like that much better,it's easer to handle,easer on parts,and fun to drive. This is my 2 cents,lot's of guys will disagree. Dave slap.gif
KaptKaos
No option for driving lessons? poke.gif

All kidding aside, I would want a car with that much power without some proper training.
JPB
18K is a decent chunk of change and its good to have when a real deal comes along. Good things come to those who wait. beer.gif
r_towle
I would not spend it on the 914.
Go shopping, buy another car, then you can have two.
Look at something newer, faster etc..

Rich
zymurgist
Call me boring, but I would pay off my second mortgage and invest the rest.
LowGT
I would probably use it to finish my project and use the rest to pay off bills. smile.gif But then it would only take 2-3k to finish my car.

Based on your options, I would put a smaller 6 and have some left over money. Lots of power is fun, but sometimes it's annoying too. I have to check the weather before I decide to drive my V8 to work, if there is a chance of rain I won't do it. It's too much of a handful even if it sprinkles.
Coy
You know, just to get around the country side in; I really like my 2 liter 4 cylinder. If your 914 runs good and looks good I'd spend the money on something else... IMHO there are just so many cool toys out there waiting to be driven, ridden, shot, programmed, listened to, etc... I personally can't (don't want to) invest to much time/money on just one toy.
scotty
Down payment on a used Elise?
effutuo101
do all of the go fast stuff. Longs, GT stiffening kit, brakes, flares, paint, rims and tires, tranny, suspension, and a smaller /6. There goes 18k. Or if you have done most of it, get a smaller /6 and have $$ to invest.
cbenitah
Here is my little car...

I am more curious what you would have done. I haven't decided yet, but I like all your answers..

BMXerror
No 'Save it for 928 S4 motor?' confused24.gif
Mark D.
RoninEclipse2G
buy an old tail-dragger and convert it to 73 RS spec and paint it to match the creamsicle biggrin.gif
cbenitah
creamsicle ? What is that
smj
I'd rebuild the 3.0 SC in my /6, suspension upgrades, and some modest rounded flares. Or if I didn't have that I'd go for a 3.0/3.2 conversion of a solid /4 shell.

Though I agree that a happy 2.0l T4 with a good suspension is sweet.
PeeGreen 914
I would want get a 2.4l in my car. I like the 2.0l, but I think if Ihad a 2.4l built up my car would compare to an Elise on the track. On your car I would have gone with the original Fuchs/. I love the look of them, and they are still rather lite.
RoninEclipse2G
QUOTE(cbenitah @ Jun 16 2007, 02:04 PM) *

creamsicle ? What is that

look at my avatar, it's a 74 2.0 LE creamsicle, light ivory and phoenix red (phoenix red is VERY orangy) built to comemorate the success of the 73 can-am race season with the 911 RSR's of which the factory cars ran the same paint scheme

more info!
http://members.rennlist.com/914_canam/
PRS914-6
I think more info is needed......If I was younger, I would put my money torwards paying off my house and reducing bills. ( I did) Now that I am retired, kids gone and money not an issue it's really fun to build a 3.6 car that is impractical, expensive and too much HP and you don't have to feel guilty.

Soooo......if your pocket book allows spending $$ on toys, go for it. If you are young and owe a bunch and your mortgage is high, be smart and pay it down. Sorry, I can't help playing the Dad role. My daughter gets these lectures all the time. alfred.gif
cbenitah
I don't have any bills, I am young, and the money is for whatever right now. I still have a few months before I need to decide since the money isn't at hand yet, but come september they are biggrin.gif

But like I said, I don't know what route I will take, I like to listen to you guys though and see what (crazy) combinations you can put out..
merrill
Wow, I really like the look of your car! Personally I would spend as little as possible for the biggest bang. I have been thinking of getting in line at RAT for a big 4.
degreeoff
is your car already a six?
cbenitah
no, its a strong 1.8 /4 laugh.gif
jonferns
how about an LS2 6.0 out of a new GTO....now thats a mustang killer....400HP and 400 ft/lbs tq..... biggrin.gif ---JON (or you can write me a check) Click to view attachment

Johny Blackstain
I would save up & shop for a very late 3.6 w/ a matching 6 speed & try to get that to work. Monster power & six speeds... drooley.gif ! My .02.

cool_shades.gif
fiid
Save half and spend half smile.gif. Get a 6 - maybe a 3.0 or a 3.2 and stick the other 9k in a savings account or diversified investment for a rainy day. Just my 2c.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(RoninEclipse2G @ Jun 16 2007, 01:35 PM) *

buy an old tail-dragger and convert it to 73 RS spec and paint it to match the creamsicle biggrin.gif

Ooohh, I kinda like the idea. Have a '73T I'm "deciding" on what to do with. What if it were a reversed creamsickle - white on orange, rather than orange on white? It's already orange. So, I guess I'd have to paint wheels orange to make it work. Stripe would have to be added too. Hmmmm
orthobiz
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 17 2007, 10:10 PM) *

QUOTE(RoninEclipse2G @ Jun 16 2007, 01:35 PM) *

Ooohh, I kinda like the idea. Have a '73T I'm "deciding" on what to do with. What if it were a reversed creamsickle - white on orange, rather than orange on white? It's already orange. So, I guess I'd have to paint wheels orange to make it work. Stripe would have to be added too. Hmmmm

It wouldn't be original. Save your effort, Pat. You wouldn't be able to live with yourself!

Paul
VaccaRabite
Since you are young, put the money in the bank.You are eventually going to want a house of your own with a garage to store and work on your car. 18K would go a long way towards making that happen.

Zach
markb
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 17 2007, 06:53 PM) *

Since you are young, put the money in the bank.You are eventually going to want a house of your own with a garage to store and work on your car. 18K would go a long way towards making that happen.

Zach

agree.gif
Root_Werks
I already did the "not prestine 914-6" thing so I voted to buy a Boxster. Nice cars.
drewvw

If i had enough money to buy a boxster, I would "save" the money to buy a sweet 356 instead...
boxstr
Buy LOTTO tickets.....No Invest NOW, get on a plan that will allow you to have the bigger and better things in life when are ready for them.
Buying cars and spending money on big motors or small motors, it is not a financially sound investment. I know, you do not want to hear any of this. CCLIN914NATION
seejay5
Throw a party, buy some hookers and blow
TonyAKAVW
400 HP tuned STi motor. Same weight as your current setup, more power than a 3.6, less expensive. Or maybe close to the same actually.

-Tony
smokey
smoke.gif smoke.gif smoke.gif smoke.gif smoke.gif smoke.gif smoke.gif icon8.gif blink.gif barf.gif barf.gif SO much cash , I cant wait for the power . 3.2 w/ a 901 limited slip . Patrick Motorsport . For parts . Don Welch Oil Tank ( Great work ). Advan a048 (yoks) tread wear of 95. I cant brakem loose with the 2.0 . I think it wont be any trouble with the 6/er. I am a newby to the site . Most of the locals know me . Nor cal . I will update the thread as the car comes along. 90 days or so . Rick
cbenitah
QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Jun 17 2007, 10:25 PM) *

400 HP tuned STi motor. Same weight as your current setup, more power than a 3.6, less expensive. Or maybe close to the same actually.

-Tony

I think "they" quoted me around $16k for a WRX setup out the door..
zymurgist
QUOTE(RoninEclipse2G @ Jun 16 2007, 03:35 PM) *

You could buy my tail dragger and be about 3/4 of the way there!
cbenitah
i like our little 914 though..

maybe ride in a 3.0/3.2/3.6 to determaine how it feels..
anthony
I'd only dump $18K into a car if it was an affordable amount of disposable income to allocate to the car hobby. For me that would be adequate rainy day savings in the bank, 401k contributions on track for retirement goals, etc, etc.

I wanted to do the big six conversion for a long time. I finally gave up when I saw that it would eventually lead me down the path of the $35K+ 914 that would be worth $20K when I was done. I bought a 911SC instead of a doing a six conversion and enjoy two cars now. The 911 has gone up in value since I bought which is saying a lot for car hobby purchases. The big six conversion is worth half of what you pay for it the second it is done. I'm doing a 2270 4 banger for the 914. The price fit in the above criteria.

If I was really after big horsepower, I'd probably go Subaru even if it wouldn't be that 914-6 experience.

cbenitah
Well, the 911 route is one way, but my fear is that Im going to end up spending a ton on rust repair and such instead of enjoying it.. I already did that to my 914 so I see myself half way there, all i really need now is more power and the car is done (they are never done but you know....) subaru is sill not true porsche and it cost the same as a /6...

I'm thinking the 911 will come later in my life..
anthony
You'll never have the rust issues with a later galvanized 911 (SC, Carrera, 993..) that you will have on a 914.
cbenitah
but a later sc, 993 is above the said amount.. I will get a 993 which is the car I love once I can spare that money. For now the performance of one is fine laugh.gif
jaminM3
Wow,
Is is really $18K for a 3.6 conversion? Someone show a loose breakdown.

Also, what is the cost on an estimated 3.2 or 3.0 conversion?

Damn..
dflesburg
2007 boxster S
SirAndy
QUOTE(cbenitah @ Jun 16 2007, 01:39 AM) *

Thanks for your opinion

i'm biased. now that the 3.6L is running, i have a hard time wiping that grin off my face ...

so that's where my vote went ...
driving.gif Andy
Dr. Roger
i voted to hang on to your money. you already have a great car. =)

$18k invested in a strong mutual fund (mine is performing (>25%), let's say conservatively 20%, will give you $21,600 next year. reinvested another year gives you $25,920.
3 years, re-invested, gives you $31,104 !!!
5 years is $44,789.
10 years = $111,451.32
A ONE TIME INVESTMENT.

if you have no investments you should start now. they pay off BIG TIME later in life. i like to live like there's no tomorrow but hedge with a little investing for the future.

of course Andy's 3.6 conversion is pretty damn sexy... LOL wink.gif

Allan
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Jun 19 2007, 05:16 PM) *

i voted to hang on to your money. you already have a great car. =)

$18k invested in a strong mutual fund (mine is performing (>25%), let's say conservatively 20%, will give you $21,600 next year. reinvested another year gives you $25,920.
3 years, re-invested, gives you $31,104 !!!
5 years is $44,789.
10 years = $111,451.32
A ONE TIME INVESTMENT.

if you have no investments you should start now. they pay off BIG TIME later in life. i like to live like there's no tomorrow but hedge with a little investing for the future.

of course Andy's 3.6 conversion is pretty damn sexy... LOL wink.gif

Who is your broker and what is the fund?
cbenitah
a great car and a fast car is different smile.gif I see what you mean though, but I will make an engine swap, just need to figure out what kind.. This is my chance to get the car of my dreams at a relatively early age. I have about 15K in the car as of now.. And I feel it would be sad to see it stay as it is. I would never invest money into any car to be able to make money on it later on, then I would buy a scooter and invest it in Dr Roger's fund..

But please continue comment, its fun reading and it is also good help to hear your opinion, since this is such a large topic around here, maybe even others can benefit from your opinion..

I would love to experience that grin Andy.. Such a shame that I'm up in SF next week then laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.