jimkelly
besides the 6 motor??

Jim
pffft
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jun 17 2007, 10:35 AM) *

besides the 6 motor??

Jim

What, a sbc isn't enough?!? biggrin.gif

Try here, James had a pretty good write up.

six conversion

patrick
jimkelly
i just found a 6 with carbs for $750. figured i could at least start collecting parts : )

i got a 1975 914-4 2.0, the 914-8 sbc, but need a six for the high rpms : )

jim
a914guy
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jun 17 2007, 09:35 AM) *

besides the 6 motor??

Jim

Hi Jim,

The posts pretty well get you the detail of the conversion basics and the parts needed. I often get the same question and have a parts breakdown of the common items needed.

As you probably know I'm one of the guys that build and supply 914-6 conversion parts. I produce many of the custom pieces and usually can affordably source the others for most conversions.

When I embarked on my first project it was a relatively undone process around the Dallas area and I had to work pretty hard to find detail to make good decisions. It looks like you have a pretty good start via the 914World information. That's a great aid in getting off on the right foot. I'll offer my help with added detail if you have specific conversion questions. I have done just shy of a dozen conversions and can draw from that experience. I've been directly involved in a few more here in the DFW area and have sold just shy of 500 engine mounts. I don't mean that to say anything more than I've had reasonable exposure to a broad range of six conversions.

Here is a list of items I would suggest you use as a base guideline on what items would work for your conversion project.

914-6 Conversion Parts:

1. 914-6 OE style reproduction engine sheetmetal set. Steel 5 piece set.
2. 914-6 bulkhead engine conversion mount with instructions.
3. Conversion mount hardware, 911 sport mount set, brake proportioning valve replacement "T".
4. CIS/DME/Weber accelerator linkage kit.
5. 914-6 OE oil line set. Two OE 914-6 flex lines, one OE 911S flex line to replace the OE hard line).
6. OE or reproduction oil tank.
7. Oil tank installation kit with oil filter neck and oil filter console.
8. 901 cup flywheel for 2.7, 2.4, 2.2 or 2.0L or earlier engines.
9. 911 oil cooler modification to 90 degree 914-6 style cooler.
10. 901 side shift rod modification (exchange).
11. Bursch headers, 1 & 5/8" or 1 & 3/4".

Optional Conversion / Upgrade parts

1. 901 Guard Transmission torque-biasing or limited slip differential.
2. Tall 5th gear sets (32/19 overdrive).
3. Preformed trailing arm kit.
4. GT chassis kit.
5. Longitudinal reinforcement kit.
6. Koni F&R externally adjustable shock sets.
7. Koni or Bilstein shock, rear adjustable coilover spring set.
8. 5 lug front & rear suspension conversions.
9. Boxster monoblock front and rear caliper kits for late 911 front struts and 914 rear trailing arms.

Additional Notes:

1. You can upgrade the early 911 alternator to a late internally regulated unit and eliminate the relay board in the engine compartment. This make access to the oil filter much easier and provides a cleaner look to this part of the engine bay. You would need a late Carrera alternator and a modification to the alternator housing to accommodate this upgrade.
2. For street conversions secondary oil coolers can be setup to mount under the trunk area of the car. This keeps things simpler and saves the front trunk are when compared to the 914-6 GT style setups. I can provide suggestions and the rear mounted kits if needed.
3. Interior gauges will be a focus at some point. I like to use North Hollywood and convert the three gauge set to match cosmetically, I suggest sourcing the 911 combo gauge that matches the engine and modify the tach to include a fuel gauge. This keeps all critical gauges in dash.
4. Don't forget to consider braking, suspension and chassis improvements when planning your project. As an old friend once said, "Now that you have the GO you better work on the WOH".

OK, there is some points from my POV and some part detail. Feel free to email, call or post here if you have more questions. I'm typically available in the evening and on weekends. I'm an IT person by trade, Porsche lover by good grace and 914 conversion fanatic by choice.

Best regards,

Rich
(972) 398-9146 Cell
'71 914-6 Conversion (http://www.914conversions.com/html/rich.html)
tracks914
Jim:
Sounds like too much work....you should sell it to me. biggrin.gif
jimkelly
rich and all,

thanks a TON for all the info : )

jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.