Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine smokes and idle climbs after 30 secs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
highways
Ok.... the goal is to get this thing off the jackstands today. Yes today!

When I start the car... it sounds good and looks good except that the idle is slightly higher then it used to be (now it's 1,500- used to be 900). After about 30 secs it starts to warm up, more and more blue smoke at tailpipe and idle climbs to 2400.

Condition of the car- engine sat for 4 years. I sprayed some WD40 and a small shot glass of marvel mystery oil into the spark plug holes a few months ago before starting for the first time. Engine has run for a total of about 5 minutes since then so I don't think the extra lubrication is what's making the smoke.

Timing- distributor is in the same position as it always was.

Vacuum lines- I think I have them hooked back up correctly to the best of my knowledge.

Engine tin- there is a crack under the coil. Could this affect vacuum severly enough to cause the problem?

Heat exchanger flapper boxes are only partially hooked up. Plumbing for heat is not complete. But the heat exchangers are in place with the proper copper washers. NOTE; forgot the copper washer on one side (was letting alot of air blow out from where exchanger meets engine)... replaced them last night and the idle dropped from 2000 to the current 1500, no more air blowing out. So that definitely had something to do with it.

Any ideas on what to do next?
bd1308
the idle will be a bit high due to the auxillary air regulator being open, as a consequence of the car starting/running cold.

Your oil smoke is no doubt the WD40, Marvel oil, or just plain time.

I've had engines on the stand make smoke for a bit, they usually stop after a few moments.

Check valves!
Brando
agree.gif

Don't forget to get it to the gas station, put new fuel in it and change the oil after a few miles.
bd1308
ah yes!

I was going to edit again (thinking some more on this)

I completly agree. Sometimes even small amounts of rust form on the camshaft and parts (especially if not driven for a LONG time) but I compeletly agree with the oil change and gas fill-up. Varnished gas and old oil are not good things to start on.

How long has it been sitting?
highways
Most things are rebuilt except the engine- which was running very well in December 2000. It still sounds like it's running great... smooth with no hunting or missing.

The fuel system has been redone- new fuel lines throughout, gas tank cleaned, new filters, fresh gas.

Oil has been changed. Valves adjusted. Throttle cable rests in the fully closed position.

The engine does not smoke when you start it. It looks completely normal. As it warms up the smoke gets progressively worse, and the idle climbs to 2400rpm.

Brando
If the idle does not come back down after 5-10 minutes, start making sure your vacuum lines are properly hooked up and that there are no vacuum leaks (go around with a can of brake cleaner and spray).
computers4kids
Leaking cold start valve?

Faulty head temp sensor (TS2)?...to check, after warm-up, unplug the sensor wire were it plugs into the FI harness by #3. Take a jumper wire from the harness and take it to the negative side of the battery terminal...this will simulate "full warm-up running condition" without any additional enrichment.

Aux air valve is not full closing after warm-up (higher idle, but not smoke)

just a guess,

Twystd1
Does the smoke smell oily or like gasoline?

CCC
highways
I think the smoke smells oily... lots of good advice here. Thanks everybody. I've found the general area of a vacuum leak... I think it's a manifold boot. Will replace those in the next hour or two and give it another try. Right now- tires are on and it's coming off the damn jackstands!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.