Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: plastic rivets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
joeav8tor
Hi Guys,
probably has been asked several times...are the white plastic rivets for the sill plates still available, and where.
thanks
flag.gif
joe
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(joeav8tor @ Jun 18 2007, 05:13 PM) *

Hi Guys,
probably has been asked several times...are the white plastic rivets for the sill plates still available, and where.
thanks
flag.gif
joe

Hi joe. The plastic rivets are a very particular size for the thresholds and rocker panels, and only available at the factory. The cheaper aftermarket rivets look the same but are larger and have to have the holes in the thresholds enlarged to fit or one leg of the rivet broken off. For your car Joe, there is no substitute for the factory plastic rivets. They usually cost about $1.35 each (but these days don't quote me on prices!!!!)
joeav8tor
thanks george, I will call and order some.
Joe
Allan
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 18 2007, 04:49 PM)
The plastic rivets are a very particular size for the thresholds and rocker panels, and only available at the factory.

That's because the freaking plastic rivets have been removed and the holes have been filled with aftermarket aluminum rivets for the last 30 plus years.

I have a set of the "Perfect factory" ones and they fit like crap.

WAY too small.

If you have TOTALLY unmolested rockers it MIGHT be okay.

If not, don't waste the money....
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 18 2007, 06:49 PM) *

QUOTE(joeav8tor @ Jun 18 2007, 05:13 PM) *

Hi Guys,
thanks
flag.gif
joe

Hi joe. The plastic rivets are a very particular size for the thresholds and rocker panels, and only available at the factory. The cheaper aftermarket rivets look the same but are larger and have to have the holes in the thresholds enlarged to fit or one leg of the rivet broken off. For your car Joe, there is no substitute for the factory plastic rivets. They usually cost about $1.35 each (but these days don't quote me on prices!!!!)

George - wrong! The aftermarket rivets fit fine & are undectable. No trimming necessary for my car - "popped" right in & hold tightly. A hell of a lot less expensive. I defy anyone to tell the diff & I am the ultimate CW.
Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(joeav8tor @ Jun 18 2007, 06:13 PM) *

Hi Guys,
thanks
flag.gif
joe

Joe,
Don't overpay! The aftermarket rivets work perfectly.

PM Tod914. He may still be sitting on a bunch of them. If not, let me know. I still have a bunch of white and black. They ar inexpensive, work fine and are undectable from orig's. Should have been here a year ago - they sold like hotcakes. Trust me, they work & are cheap..
Pat
Tobra
I have the aftermarket ones and they seem to fit fine. I admit I have not painted my car so the rocker covers are still off, so it is not certain, but I did test fit and they look right.

I would venture a guess that many of the cars have had the holes enlarged a bit from wear and taking them off and putting them back on
tod914
I have plently left in black and bone colored if you need them. It was clearly described on how to install them if they are too tight. Last time I checked with Porsche about 2 years ago, only clear was available and they were 80 cents each at the time. These are 20 cents each. If you need some let me know. Heads are a perfect match. Just click the link and you'll see. Joe, if your car is a 74, you would want black rivets for the plastic threshold plates and rockers. The factory clear I wouldn't do .. no substitute for the right color lol
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Headrage @ Jun 18 2007, 06:19 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 18 2007, 04:49 PM)
The plastic rivets are a very particular size for the thresholds and rocker panels, and only available at the factory.

That's because the freaking plastic rivets have been removed and the holes have been filled with aftermarket aluminum rivets for the last 30 plus years.

I have a set of the "Perfect factory" ones and they fit like crap.

WAY too small.

If you have TOTALLY unmolested rockers it MIGHT be okay.

If not, don't waste the money....

yup I hate to say it but we used to flare the holes to fit the aftermarket Wurth rivets they used to make!
tod914
Hey all, been really busy and haven't had a chance to respond to all the inquiries. If you dont hear from me by midweek, please PM me again so I don't miss you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.