Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
firstknight13
biggrin.gif ok so i went to marthas vineyard to work at a friends 2 houses.... before i left i was bidding on some 993 series wheels for my 914 to go with the 88 sc front suspension... i thought they were 6"... any way i ended up winning them of course it was a pick-up deal... as luck would have it i got off the ferry and on my way home picked them up.... what luck!!! or so i thought... they turn out to be 7 and 9 inch... so the ? is how do i get them to fit??? blink.gif or what do i have to mod to make them fit..... any input would be greatly appreciated.... driving.gif
Demick
Simple. Big flares.
McMark
A set of fiberglass GT flares is the easiest way to fit them. BIG MEATS! laugh.gif
PeeGreen 914
f you don't like flares you can always roll the fenders to make it fit. If your interested I can let you know a very simple way to do it.
firstknight13
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Jun 18 2007, 09:22 PM) *

f you don't like flares you can always roll the fenders to make it fit. If your interested I can let you know a very simple way to do it.

ok you got my attention!!!
PeeGreen 914
You go out and buy a kids wood baseball bat. You would need to cut of the nub on the handle. You start with the small end of the bat, and you runit from back to frontrolling the car back and forth. You keep doing this until they are streched out enough for the wheels you want. It works very well but go slow. I have seen people do this and fit 10s under there. The fronts should be fine for the most part. You may need to roll them out a little, but I don't think much at all for 7s.
Demick
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Jun 18 2007, 11:14 PM) *

You go out and buy a kids wood baseball bat. You would need to cut of the nub on the handle. You start with the small end of the bat, and you runit from back to frontrolling the car back and forth. You keep doing this until they are streched out enough for the wheels you want. It works very well but go slow. I have seen people do this and fit 10s under there. The fronts should be fine for the most part. You may need to roll them out a little, but I don't think much at all for 7s.

Where's the Bullshit smilie when you need one?

I'm not saying it is not possible, but you are giving the advise that stretching the rear fenders by 3 inches with a baseball bat is simple. It is not. It is possible to reform your current fenders without adding flares, and for that I would recommend buying John Kelly metalworking DVD. Buy the DVD and watch it before jumping in and ruining your fenders so that you know what you are in for.

Custom Metal Bodywork DVD finally finished, Fender flares/dent repair/custom/restoration techniques
PeeGreen 914
Hey Demick

I never said it was simple. But it is rather easy. I have done it on two cars with excelent results. Maybe it is because I am an artist with attention to detail on those sort of things, but getting 10s under there was easier than doing flares. I like the look of both, and if I had not bought my 6 with the GT flares I would never do it as I like the look of the reshaped sides. I do agree that buying that DVD would help anyone wanting to do this. It is especially helpful if you have to bring out the doors to match your work.
Demick
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Jun 18 2007, 10:22 PM) *

If you don't like flares you can always roll the fenders to make it fit. If your interested I can let you know a very simple way to do it.

Actually, you did say it was simple. biggrin.gif But my intention is not to be argumentative, it was just to make sure that a bunch of people don't start baseball batting their fenders thinking it's easy to stretch them by a few inches.

If you have any pictures of the cars you have done that way I'd love to see them. Even better, a bit of a tutorial. Lots of people would be interested in what can be done!

Demick
PeeGreen 914
So I did say that... oops. Well okay, it was simple for me. The guys I sold my cars to is local so I can try to get some pics of it. The most important part is that you are patient in this process as you have to do it very little by little as you will ruin your fenders if you don't. The reason a kids at is best is that it starts at 3/4 inch and goes out to 2 1/2 inches. You have to figure that it will take about an hour per inch you want to pull with the last inch being the most critical. I will try to get some pics up soon.

Jon
firstknight13
biggrin.gif yes pics
orange914
QUOTE(firstknight13 @ Jun 18 2007, 09:44 PM) *

biggrin.gif ok so i went to marthas vineyard to work at a friends 2 houses.... before i left i was bidding on some 993 series wheels for my 914 to go with the 88 sc front suspension... i thought they were 6"... any way i ended up winning them of course it was a pick-up deal... as luck would have it i got off the ferry and on my way home picked them up.... what luck!!! or so i thought... they turn out to be 7 and 9 inch... so the ? is how do i get them to fit??? blink.gif or what do i have to mod to make them fit..... any input would be greatly appreciated.... driving.gif

sawzall-smiley.gif
Dr Evil
There are many ways to flare your car. It all depends on ability, time and preference. Here are some pics of different techniques that have been demonstrated on the board over the years. Perhaps some of the people that these belong to will chime in.

Jim Kelly does these, has a video and is IMHO one of the best but most time consuming methods.
Click to view attachment

Glen Sager using a bat.
Click to view attachment

This is the method used on my car. You cut, split the metal, and weld in metal.
Click to view attachment

Another version of the same concept.
Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
I have 9" with 255 on the back and 7.5" with 235 on the front. The fronts need very little if any flaring. You can just beat it out a little.
For my rear flares the shop did not cut the flare off and the re-weld it in. They cut it around at about 2.5" from the wheel well and then split both sides of the metal. Then welded more metal in. Here are the results:
Click to view attachment

Not my car, but identical in result
Click to view attachment

Here is what I was going for. This is by far the best, most subtle flare I have ever seen.
Click to view attachment
firstknight13
rocking nana.gif biggrin.gif now were talking!!! spoke to CFR and i'm going to have the "EXPERT" do it for me aktion035.gif so i pick it up from the body man then to CFR....then back again.. i like your flares EVIL....
PeeGreen 914
Wow... Your teener look dead sexy with those flared out like that. Nice work Dr. Mine didn't come out as clean, but I think that was more of a paint issue.
Edit......Oh, I see that is not yours after looking again, but I guess yous will be when finished with it;)
Dr Evil
Nope, here is mine when finished (this was before I adjusted the rear end to its correct height, pics of that at a later date). The front, rear and rockers still need to be fit correctly.
PeeGreen 914
That is one hell of a hot car. drooley.gif I feel kinda funny.... like when you climb the rope in gym class huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.