Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need a little help.... Flywheel Bolts won't budge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hwgunner
OK, so I need a little help. For all the cars I have pulled apart, I am pretty much a maverick and just start pulling things off without reguard for order or proper form. I am trying to change that and pretty much hit a brick wall right off the bat. I can not get the flywheel bolts (17mm) to budge. I have not hit them with the impact wrench but have hit them with penetrating oil. Any good tips. I know these get torqued down to 120lbs or something but now how do I get them off. I want to get the flywheel off so that I can mount it on my engine stand with the steel 'ring' which brings up the second question. If you ae facing the trans end of the engine, which side does the ring go on so that you cansplit the case and get to all the good stuff in side. I know this is long but your help is appreciated. Here is a pic.
sww914
Impact will work better than torque. Put your ratchet on there and HIT it with a hammer, or use your impact driver or impact gun.
IIRC, you build (and install the mount on) the R side of the engine as installed in a 914, the L side as installed in a VW or 911.
I may make it down to SM later this week, I'll call you of I head that way.
PeeGreen 914
agree.gif You will never get them of without an impact gun. Well, I guess never is a little over kill, but it would be very very difficult. Put an impact on there and them zip right off. clap56.gif
hwgunner
Thanks, I will try the hammer. The one thing that I did find is that the heads of the bolts are so shallow the socket does not like to 'grab'. I will try though.

just call me and I will do everything I can to meet you. thanks

QUOTE(sww914 @ Jun 18 2007, 11:01 PM) *

Impact will work better than torque. Put your ratchet on there and HIT it with a hammer, or use your impact driver or impact gun.
IIRC, you build (and install the mount on) the R side of the engine as installed in a 914, the L side as installed in a VW or 911.
I may make it down to SM later this week, I'll call you of I head that way.

hwgunner
Is that a challenge??? Remember I said "maverick"!!! I can get them out without the impact for sure, no question!! The grinder is a little loud at 10:13 even in my garage though. sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

I wont go there.

QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Jun 18 2007, 11:04 PM) *

agree.gif You will never get them of without an impact gun. Well, I guess never is a little over kill, but it would be very very difficult. Put an impact on there and them zip right off. clap56.gif

PeeGreen 914
av-943.gif Challenge on. Do it to prove me wrong. clap56.gif
hwgunner
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Jun 18 2007, 11:18 PM) *

av-943.gif Challenge on. Do it to prove me wrong. clap56.gif

You're not helping. Bliss around here, three kids and a wife, has been hard to find lately and now you want me to go dig out the grinder in the middle of the night??? Nope, peer pressure wont work!! I learned that a long time ago somewhere between the railing and Marina Vallarta (the water). Damn that hurt!!!
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Jun 18 2007, 10:04 PM) *
You will never get them of without an impact gun.

A flywheel lock and a big breaker bar worked pretty well for me!!

Come to think of it, last time I used a screwdriver jammed into the flywheel teeth instead of the flywheel lock. (D'OH!) I'm probably lucky I didn't break anything--but I didn't.

--DD
PeeGreen 914
chairfall.gif I know the feeling. My little 10 month old's bedroom is right next to the garage. I can't wait to build my secondary garage out back so I can work late at night. Honestly though, air gun...Zip,Zip,Zip,Zip,Zip...done
McMark
agree.gif with Dave.

I use a large screw driver between the bottom stud and the flywheel ring gear teeth. Never had a problem. Big breaker bar if necessary. They are torqued to 80 ft/lbs IIRC.
PeeGreen 914
So you guys prove me wrong. It's not like I have never been wrong before biggrin.gif Air tools are just easier.... as long as you don break bolts av-943.gif and I've never done that before headbang.gif Gotta learn somehow right?
fitsbain
I did it with a half drive breaker, and 10 ft of pipe. Only took 1 finger to get them out.
rhodyguy
go to a vw parts retailer and get one of these. i think i paid about $10. break out the impact gun. you'll spend more time waiting for the compressor to charge with air than you will removing the bolts.

k
hwgunner
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 19 2007, 10:06 AM) *

go to a vw parts retailer and get one of these. i think i paid about $10. break out the impact gun. you'll spend more time waiting for the compressor to charge with air than you will removing the bolts.

k

Actually I am not haveing a problem with that at the moment. The motor is not turning over. I was just not able to get good grip on the bolts and get enough pressure on them to loosen them. I am going to hit them with an impact when I get home.

PeeGreen 914
clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif
736conver
I remember being at a junkyard once picking up a chevy 350. The guy tried an impact on the flywheel bolts, didnt budge. He brought out the torch heated them up and they came right off with the impact.

Heat helps alot. And not the propane handheld type.
Joe Ricard
6 point impact socket

not just a 6 point chrome one from the craftsman tool set. Well unless you want to break it.

Air tools ROCK!

brute force is even better. 3/16" thick x 2" wide 36" long flat bar. put the pressure plate bolts back in with a thick washer. put flat bar against flywheel engage two bolts and then get your 1/2" drive breaker bar with 3 or 4 ft. of pipe.

Now stand on it man!!!!!!!!!!! or jump if your a little guy.
hwgunner
ZIP! ZIP! ZIP!

Got it!!!
Air tools ROCK!!!
hwgunner
BTW, I said somthin' to the Cap'n about this and the grinder and he suggested cutting slots in the bolt heads and then using the impact screwdriver to get them off. No kiddin', he has an impact screwdriver you hit with a hammer.
Allan
QUOTE(hwgunner @ Jun 19 2007, 07:26 PM) *

BTW, I said somthin' to the Cap'n about this and the grinder and he suggested cutting slots in the bolt heads and then using the impact screwdriver to get them off. No kiddin', he has an impact screwdriver you hit with a hammer.

Unfortunately I have said things that didn't jive with what the Cap'n said and was wrong.

I'm glad you got the flywheel off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.