Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: looking for euro or quality pistons for 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orange914
what new o.e.m. quality (raised compresion) piston/cylendars out there for my 1.7? what oversize can i go to (without heating problem or case/ head machining)?
Allan
Pelican has oem p/c's and I have seen them on ebay as well. I don't know that I have ever seen euro spec 1.7 pistons.
Cap'n Krusty
Pelican's 90mm piston/cylinder sets are NOT OE. The Cap'n
orange914
QUOTE(Headrage @ Jun 19 2007, 02:40 PM) *

Pelican has oem p/c's and I have seen them on ebay as well. I don't know that I have ever seen euro spec 1.7 pistons.

are 2.0's drop in?
Allan
IIRC, the 1.7 is 90mm and the 2.0 is 94mm so no.

BTW, the Cap'n is correct (again) on the oem thing.

I would call Dave at GPR and see what he might have.

1-800-321-5432. Tell him that the guy from Bakersfield sent ya...
orange914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 19 2007, 03:30 PM) *

i need to look up 1.7 spec's i assume 90mm is 2.0 bore? i'm still looking for answers on what the largest cylendar size is i can use with out machining to case/heads and are there heaing issues as the walls get thinner as i've seen with type I. i also hear stories about made in mexico pistons confused24.gif i'm ready to buy pistons/heads and want the proper set up gaining as much reliable h.p. as realistic while doing this.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(orange914 @ Jun 19 2007, 06:15 PM) *

i need to look up 1.7 spec's i assume 90mm is 2.0 bore? i'm still looking for answers on what the largest cylendar size is i can use with out machining to case/heads and are there heaing issues as the walls get thinner as i've seen with type I. i also hear stories about made in mexico pistons confused24.gif i'm ready to buy pistons/heads and want the proper set up gaining as much reliable h.p. as realistic while doing this.

No, 90mm (as someone else just said) is 1.7 bore. 94mm is 2 litre (they also said that). 93mm is 1.8. The 93s and 94s drop in the case, but not into the heads. 94s have a different pin height, so you need the appropriate crankshaft and rods. If you're gonna buy heads, 1.7s are essentially unavailable, so you end up buying 1.8 or 2 liter heads. In that case, you need the appropriate pistons and cylinders. I have a set of K&S 1.7 914 pistons (higher compression than the T4 or Bus), but I want an arm and a leg for them. If you want to big bore, 96s seem to work OK, but larger sizes MAY have temperature issues. BEWARE that there are a lot of seriously substandard 94mm piston/cylinder sets out there. OE 93mm sets are NLA, too, AFIK.

The Cap'n
orange914
QUOTE(Headrage @ Jun 19 2007, 06:13 PM) *

IIRC, the 1.7 is 90mm and the 2.0 is 94mm so no.

BTW, the Cap'n is correct (again) on the oem thing.

I would call Dave at GPR and see what he might have.

1-800-321-5432. Tell him that the guy from Bakersfield sent ya...

i'll give him a call. hey, saw you had fun at wcr! i'm bummed we couldn't make it. sad.gif

side note: headrage... i have to contact you and about 6 guys other guys who responded earlier about the sept. 22nd car show at kennys high school. i'll try to get back to you all soon. GOTTA get this top ended before then! clap56.gif
mike
orange914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 19 2007, 06:29 PM) *

No, 90mm (as someone else just said) is 1.7 bore. 94mm is 2 litre (they also said that). 93mm is 1.8. The 93s and 94s drop in the case, but not into the heads. 94s have a different pin height, so you need the appropriate crankshaft and rods. If you're gonna buy heads, 1.7s are essentially unavailable, so you end up buying 1.8 or 2 liter heads. In that case, you need the appropriate pistons and cylinders. I have a set of K&S 1.7 914 heads (higher compression than the T4 or Bus), but I want an arm and a leg for them. If you want to big bore, 96s seem to work OK, but larger sizes MAY have temperature issues. BEWARE that there are a lot of seriously substandard 94mm piston/cylinder sets out there. OE 93mm sets are NLA, too, AFIK.

The Cap'n

o.k. so... if i used the largest size drop in piston, 93mm (stock compression?) in my 1.7 lower end with a set of 2.0 heads this should be maximum reliable bolt on h.p. i'm thinking about the new casting larger valve 2.0 heads by len whats-his-name. i have 3 sets of 1.7 heads to work with/trade or core. i live in the hot central valley of ca. and am concerned about heat so 96's are out anyway.
if i'm correct about the above combo. p.m. me with information on your 2.0 heads (valve size ext...) and 93mm (how do the pistons compare to o.e.m. quality?) and a price. i think i've figured out what i need and am ready to purchase right combo from right source.
mike 209-537-3749
G e o r g e
Mike,

93mm will turn your engine in to a 1.8, at stock i believe they made the same horsepower as a stock 1.7.

no real improvement, go to the 96's you will be fine on the heat angle.

then use your 2 ltr heads.

or split the case drop in a new 9550 or 9530 cam depending on fuel supply and run cooler than you ever have with more power

if your not going to 96's stick with what you have 90's get your heads( 1.7's) redone by Len pickup the 2 pieces of 2ltr engine tin you'll need and enjoy
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(orange914 @ Jun 19 2007, 07:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 19 2007, 06:29 PM) *

No, 90mm (as someone else just said) is 1.7 bore. 94mm is 2 litre (they also said that). 93mm is 1.8. The 93s and 94s drop in the case, but not into the heads. 94s have a different pin height, so you need the appropriate crankshaft and rods. If you're gonna buy heads, 1.7s are essentially unavailable, so you end up buying 1.8 or 2 liter heads. In that case, you need the appropriate pistons and cylinders. I have a set of K&S 1.7 914 heads (higher compression than the T4 or Bus), but I want an arm and a leg for them. If you want to big bore, 96s seem to work OK, but larger sizes MAY have temperature issues. BEWARE that there are a lot of seriously substandard 94mm piston/cylinder sets out there. OE 93mm sets are NLA, too, AFIK.

The Cap'n

o.k. so... if i used the largest size drop in piston, 93mm (stock compression?) in my 1.7 lower end with a set of 2.0 heads this should be maximum reliable bolt on h.p. i'm thinking about the new casting larger valve 2.0 heads by len whats-his-name. i have 3 sets of 1.7 heads to work with/trade or core. i live in the hot central valley of ca. and am concerned about heat so 96's are out anyway.
if i'm correct about the above combo. p.m. me with information on your 2.0 heads (valve size ext...) and 93mm (how do the pistons compare to o.e.m. quality?) and a price. i think i've figured out what i need and am ready to purchase right combo from right source.
mike 209-537-3749

I'm sorry. I typed "heads" and I meant Pistons. I have no heads for sale.

The Cap'n
bam914
Do not look any further I have a set of forged CP pistons for a 1.7 that are .040" over the stock bore. They are exact copies of the stock piston. I have cylinders already bored and read to go. I paid $600.00 just for the pistons. I will let the whole thing go for $450.00.

Click to view attachment
orange914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 19 2007, 07:25 PM) *

I'm sorry. I typed "heads" and I meant Pistons. I have no heads for sale.

The Cap'n

o.k. so what do you have in the way of 93's and cost?
thanks driving.gif
orange914
QUOTE(bam914 @ Jun 19 2007, 08:17 PM) *

Do not look any further I have a set of forged CP pistons for a 1.7 that are .040" over the stock bore. They are exact copies of the stock piston. I have cylinders already bored and read to go. I paid $600.00 just for the pistons. I will let the whole thing go for $450.00.

Click to view attachment

ewww... purdy!!!
i like them, what kindof clearance gap do they have-piston to cylender-? what compression are they? do you have rings and have they been run? my 2 concerns are
1 noisiness of forged
2 what mm size does .040 translate to becouse i'm concerned with wall thickness/ overheating in hot central valley poke.gif
bam914
They are 91mm. I have the rings. They are brand new never used. They have .003" clearance. But with the long skirt I do not think they will be that loud.
orange914
QUOTE(bam914 @ Jun 20 2007, 06:14 AM) *

They are 91mm. I have the rings. They are brand new never used. They have .003" clearance. But with the long skirt I do not think they will be that loud.

i'm more thinking about going to "overbore" 1.8 or 96mm 8.0:1 with 1.8 heads. nice pistons i just dont think they'll fit what i'm looking to do. thanks anyway
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.