Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do CW's use metric washers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ptravnic
So, anyone want to represent the CW contingent?

This was just a random Q that popped into my head while I was @ the hardware store getting a couple M6 bolts...

-pt
Johny Blackstain
Yes. bootyshake.gif

cool_shades.gif
Crazyhippy
A true CW not only uses Metric washers, but the actual metric washers that came on the bolt from the factory.

BJH
SirAndy
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Jun 19 2007, 02:39 PM) *

Do CW's use metric washers?, How far does their "weenie-ness" go?

no CW here, but i use the factory correct parts wherever available.
that includes metric bolts, nuts and washers. those are readily available, so that's one of the easier ones to solve.

now, if you were asking about those NLA early plastic door window channel endcaps ...
stirthepot.gif Andy
Pat Garvey
CW at your service!

I don't get the question. If the good Doctor and his cohorts designed the parts specifically for the car, why would YOU question THEM? Because "other" parts are available in the same size from Sears, et al? Are they the same grade & quality?

And, since you asked the CW question, would you show your 914 with those parts? Don't think a judge would pick them apart? In the case of some parts, maybe not. But, why? Many are available from less expensive vendors than Porsche - and are the same part. Many of these parts crossed manufacturer lines, as you well know. So, buy from VW to save a few bucks (few!).

It's a matter of taste and importance. Do you want your 914 to be a CW car, or viewed with awe by CW's?

Still don't get it - why bring up the CW thing, unless you're a closet CW?

C'mon, let it out - we won't tell!
Crazyhippy
QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Jun 19 2007, 07:28 PM) *

A true CW not only uses Metric washers, but the actual metric washers that came on the bolt from the factory.

BJH

Allow me to correct myself happy11.gif

A true CW would never have driven the car, so there would be no need to ever remove the bolt and afformentioned washer from the car.

BJH driving.gif
Allan
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 19 2007, 06:44 PM) *

no CW here, but i use the factory correct parts wherever available.
that includes metric bolts, nuts and washers. those are readily available, so that's one of the easier ones to solve.
stirthepot.gif Andy

agree.gif
ptravnic
See, the question came up b/c I stripped the cockpit down to metal, then coated it w/Chassis Saver (POR-15 substitute, but 1/2 price). I didn't like the flat head screwdriver topped M6 screws that hold the throttle pedal down so I shuffled myself off to my local hardware store & bought 2 similar length hex head bolts. While there, I wondered about washers - there's plenty of spare washers around the garage that I'm happy to use but wondered how far some people's eccentricities go?

I'd be willing to bet that 99% of people don't notice the difference between a metric vs sae washer once it's installed in the car. The CW crowd seems to be in that other 1%...

btw, this car could never and will never be CW status, nor do I have any ambition to join that crowd (not that I don't appreciate their passion).

-pt

and for your viewing pleasure, here's some pics...

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
914werke
QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Jun 19 2007, 07:53 PM) *

BJH

A true CW would never have driven the car, so there would be no need to ever remove the bolt and afformentioned washer from the car.

BJH driving.gif

Sure there is!
To clean/polish them happy11.gif or better yet.. to have them refinished if a blem is
recognized laugh.gif w00t.gif thumb3d.gif
Allan
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Jun 19 2007, 07:21 PM) *

I didn't like the flat head screwdriver topped M6 screws that hold the throttle pedal down so I shuffled myself off to my local hardware store & bought 2 similar length hex head bolts.

agree.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Beyond the CW issue, metric washers fit as designed, SAE washers basically don't. Quarter inch is far too big to give the design function given by 6mm, 5/16" is pretty close to 8mm, and there's nothing close to 7, 10, and 12mm. Why sacrifice function when the correct pieces are readily available. Besides, ours is the only country still using SAE hardware, and that has left the automotive sector big time. The Cap'n
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 19 2007, 10:47 PM) *

CW at your service!

I don't get the question. If the good Doctor and his cohorts designed the parts specifically for the car, why would YOU question THEM? Because "other" parts are available in the same size from Sears, et al? Are they the same grade & quality?

And, since you asked the CW question, would you show your 914 with those parts? Don't think a judge would pick them apart? In the case of some parts, maybe not. But, why? Many are available from less expensive vendors than Porsche - and are the same part. Many of these parts crossed manufacturer lines, as you well know. So, buy from VW to save a few bucks (few!).

It's a matter of taste and importance. Do you want your 914 to be a CW car, or viewed with awe by CW's?

Still don't get it - why bring up the CW thing, unless you're a closet CW?

C'mon, let it out - we won't tell!

Then provide me some insight on how you tell which side of the washer is the exposed front side? <grin>
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jun 20 2007, 12:51 AM) *

QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Jun 19 2007, 07:53 PM) *

BJH

BJH driving.gif

Sure there is!
To clean/polish them happy11.gif or better yet.. to have them refinished if a blem is
recognized laugh.gif w00t.gif thumb3d.gif

av-943.gif thumb3d.gif

cool_shades.gif
ptravnic
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 20 2007, 12:59 AM) *

Beyond the CW issue, metric washers fit as designed, SAE washers basically don't. Quarter inch is far too big to give the design function given by 6mm, 5/16" is pretty close to 8mm, and there's nothing close to 7, 10, and 12mm. Why sacrifice function when the correct pieces are readily available. Besides, ours is the only country still using SAE hardware, and that has left the automotive sector big time. The Cap'n

Hmm, 6mm = .2362inches, 1/4 = 0.25 for a grand total difference of .01378. I'll agree on a difference there, but you and I will have to agree to disagree on the "far too big". On the 8mm's (seems to be the most popular thread size on the car) the washer's are nearly identical (which you note) as 8mm = 0.31496 (the diff between a 5/16 washer and a 8mm is, ahem, 0.00246inches - a figure that may indeed be important when measuring deck height but washer size?).

Unless every screw & bolt is getting torqued to exactly the factory specs during reassembly, I doubt the original "desigh function" is being mimicked, regardless of washer size.

Availability is relative - California guys have it different than most of the rest of us.

QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jun 20 2007, 06:36 AM) *

Then provide me some insight on how you tell which side of the washer is the exposed front side? <grin>

I believe you get the joke.
davep
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jun 20 2007, 02:36 AM) *

That is easy, you examine the edge.
Johny Blackstain
Being a CW can be an extremely maddening disease & I feel like a hypocrite aligning myself w/ them. Yet I understand & approve almost 100% w/ their ways & methods. I've been happily forced into being one by destiny, i.e. inheriting my Fathers' LE. But I'm really a "renegade purist" at heart, or in other words I like to hot-rod w/ factory parts- i.e. my six. Either way I'm addicted to these little cars & don't give a stromberg.gif if someone doesn't approve of that. A true CW knows he's doing it for history & it has to be perfect for that reason. I cannot go that far- I have an Optima battery in the LE & will never put a wet cell in it again. Most of us Teeners familiar w/ "the hell hole" will never go wet again. Been having to much fun w/ this thread so I thought I'd get honest biggrin.gif .

cool_shades.gif
pin31
There is nothing more agravating than mixing SAE and metric HW except when they mix dissimular metals.

I would substitute original HW for stainless (where appropate) but I would always use the same metric size/type.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.