Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear suspension mod
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ottox914
Chris Foley has a mod for the rear shock tower, to add what looks like a piece of tubing to extend the top mount of the shock up off the inner fender a couple inches, thus giving back some travel to lowered cars. I need to call him and see if a koni shock, with its taller top for the adjustment, and a 914 roof, will all fit with his mod. I need to keep my car dual purpose and be able to store the lid in back when its not on top.

Here's what I'm thinking. If you took out the lower shock bolt, and found some really thick walled tubing with the same I.D. as the O.D. of the bolt, could you weld this tubing on the bottom of the rear trailing arm, in line with the factory hole to maintain as much as possible the same geometry, and in this way gain a couple inches of travel for your lowered car.

waddya all think?

Use of the car is street driving and auto cross, no big track stuff.
Mugs914
Actually, that is done more often than you think. Works well.... You need a bit more beef than just welding a tube to the bottom of the arm though.

URY914
I would say that it would be against the rules as most rules say you can't change the shock mounting location on a production based racecar. But for a street car give it a try but depending on how you're going to do it you may not gain that much travel.
You would have to build up the area on the arm pretty good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.