Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has anyone ever proven that the Bursch exhaust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
Dyno?

Seat of pants?
SirAndy
i've seen a dyno sheet a long time ago where someone compared all the available mufflers ...

stock, bursch, monza etc.

the bursch came out on top. i'm sure it was posted here at one point ...
bye1.gif Andy
TROJANMAN
Doesn't triad have a comparison on their website?
So.Cal.914
It was posted here, I think it was Raby that posted it.
thomasotten
that looks like a test from a six cylinder.
maf914
The only muffler/exhaust system comparison dyno test I recall was from Grassroots Motorsports Magazine, when they did their 914 restoration a few years ago. You might be able to locate a copy of the results on their website. Compared to the stock 2.0 muffler the Bursch gained a couple and lost a couple of horsepower at different points on the power curve. Relatively no difference for half the cost.
Al Meredith
I remember reading the GRM article. If I recall the Pete Weber now Tangerine / Chris Foley 4-2-1 setup got 5 HP from a stock 2.0L at 5000 RPM. That was the best results. I got one for Blake's E Production 1.8L race car which was pulling 2X the stock HP. Figured 5 HP from a stock engine would be a big + for racing. PS sounds better also
Johny Blackstain
I honestly don't know... upgraded my pistons to euro-spec at the same time as I put on the Bursch. Sounds awesome, is not too loud & the seat of my pants is quite happy biggrin.gif !

cool_shades.gif
Bleyseng
the grassroots tests showed that the Bursch is better at some rpms and worst at other rpms than the stock banana. Really it showed the banana muffler is quite good and so is the Bursch, all others are crap. Now the Tangerine Header came out heads and tails above everyone. thumb3d.gif
Joe Ricard
If you want real power get the Tangerine.
It's lighter too.

Had a Bursch for 4 years two different cars, Early 1.7L and my now old hopped up 2.0L.
Loud and unfortunately nothing stock to compare it to.
agrump
I've had both a Bursch and Dansk Banana on my 2270. Only difference I could tell in performance was at the very top end where the Bursch seemed to have a bit more power but well within percentage of error for seat of pants testing.

As for sound, I like the Dansk better until the seam opens up and you have to weld it, again and again and again until you have welded the entire thing. The Bursch is louder and sounds more vw-ish to me.

If you are running an O2 sensor I would recommend the Bursch. It’s much easier to get a good sample from it then the stocker.

914rrr
Anybody have any HP specs on the 'sport muffler' mod to an OEM 2.0 muffler? Is there a link that shows how to build/mod one?
IronHillRestorations
From everything I've read and my own personal experience, the stock 2.0 banana muffler is pretty hard to beat.

Pretty much the same for 911 engines too, until you get into really high HP engines.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.