Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gauging Interest- Wheel Cover Kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brer
I recently recovered my stock wheel with an AGA leather kit. It looks alright, but when I compare it to my 914-6 leather wheel I have it looks... well, cheap. The leather is not the same grade, or texture. It does not align the I would like and there were issued with hole count.

So, I'm wondering if it would be worth it to unstich my -6 wheel (has some thread issues anyway) and make a template, correct hole count and spacing and all, from this original cover. I have a leathersmith in my family, so most of the issues I can sidestep I think, but the question right now is do I sacrifice a nice original patina wheel for the cause?

what do you think?
what would you pay?

NC-914
I think producing a correct leather wheel kit is a great idea. How much were you looking to charge?
TravisNeff
I think that would be a great kit. Then even sourcing the 912 horn button for a GT look would be great too.
jonferns
<chanting> do it! do it! do it! biggrin.gif --JON
brer
I can also provide detailed photos of the stitching on my original wheel as I undo it.
The hard part is forming the spoke portions, the original wheel looks like its press formed, or stretched at that point before stitched.

I'll consult with my local /6 pal and see what he thinks. We have been talking about this for awhile. Then I'll figure out what a good price might be.

Still... what do you think its worth?
see the AGA cover in my blog.
markb
I'd be in for one if you made these for a reasonable price. I'd really love to have one cut that I could add some padding to, so that I could have a little thicker grip.
Gint
Killer idea for a nice fitting leather cover. $50?
SirAndy
i've been looking for someone to redo my original early '70s prototipo ...

i *hate* them covers that just go over the old stuff.

but the leather seems to be "fused" to the foam underneath. i don't see any way to get just the leather off without destroying the foam.

if you can figure out a way to do that, i'd be all for it.
idea.gif Andy
Johny Blackstain
I'm in the middle of trying to put an AG cover on a 76 914 wheel headbang.gif . If it sucks, I'm interested as well & would pay the same as I did him- $65.00. Wish me luck sad.gif .

cool_shades.gif
brer
well, I figure these would be hand cut from good material.
made one at a time by me. I would be sacrificing a 600 dollar steering wheel to create the pattern.

more later.
thanks for the input guys. beerchug.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.