Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targa seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
Does the repro targa seal have a porsche tag on it?

SLITS
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Jun 20 2007, 12:51 PM) *

Does the repro targa seal have a porsche tag on it?

Now think about that question Britt.

Porsche and their part numbers are trademarked.
eric914
Does not stop an unscrupulous vendor from making up some tags and passing reproductions off as originals. Also (just thinking out loud) if you have a bag sealer it would be a piece of cake to slit the factory bags, swap the seal for a repro, and then reseal the bag. Then save the originals for when they are NLA again.

All speculation though, as far as I know all 914 vendors follow the highest ethical standards.
bd1308
Exactly where I was going.

Ron, I knew that. How do I tell if I have a repro or not?
SLITS
If it is in a Porsche package, I don't think you can tell. I have never compared them side by side.

The aftermarket "repro" seems to be a bit fatter and doesn't seem to fit as well into the channels (it seems to sit higher). We used one on Toasts' car.

But .... there are no part numbers or ID stamped into the seal.

Perhaps a lab analysis of the rubber from each one would tell the story but I ain't gonna pay for it.

Sorry Britt for taking the negative.

bd1308
hmm, me either. Guess time will tell eh?

Does look 10x better than my old seal though.

It does have a Porsche label and it looks remarkably similiar to a factory seal. Come to think of it, the seal on my car was a repro before hmmm.....
bd1308
I was shocked when the repro seal I ordered came in a Porsche bag. I'll have to check the part number to see if its in the seal.
GWN7
If you have a printer, photoshop program and $10 for labels from your local office supply store you can make all the "official" labels you want......just don't get caught or the nice folks from P of America will come visit you with sherrifs officers in tow. Might even have a FBI agent or two with them also.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I did not know that ANYONE was making a repro these days! We made some ten years ago but without the metal in them and are making them again as I write, but the genuine bagged Porsche parts are all that is currently available. (Porsche bagged parts HAVE in the past suffered quality differences, but the way to tell if you have the genuine article is to see if the spring steel is installed across the lateral portion of the seal. If so it is Genuine, as anyone reproing this seal would have to spend 50 grand to make the seal with the metal in it. (I should know!!!!)
I also doubt that anyone would go to the extreme to take an old repro part from long ago and bag it in a Porsche bag
Tobra
I don't know that I would be willing to risk that kind of federal crime to get a few hundred bucks out of a bunch of cheap ass 914 guys.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.