Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel Bearing Failure
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MZM
This is probably well known to you old hands, but after a couple of days searching, I can not seem to find an answer. Will the stock wheel bearings hold up with spacers, big tires and brakes? I am in the process of assembling parts for my new project, and wonder if 911 bearings are bigger or the same size and type as the 914.

In short, does bigger everything need any bearing upgrades? Thanks for helping a newcomer.

Mike McBride
SirAndy
QUOTE(MZM @ Jun 20 2007, 05:03 PM) *

In short, does bigger everything need any bearing upgrades? Thanks for helping a newcomer.

welcome.png

i've been running stock wheelbearings (911 front/914 rear) with 9" goodyear slicks without any problems ...
bye1.gif Andy
MZM
Thank you Sir! Are the 911 and 914 bearings identical?

MM
GWN7
I believe Andy runs a 911 front end (5 bolt) front and a 914 (drilled for 5 bolt) rear
SirAndy
QUOTE(MZM @ Jun 20 2007, 06:14 PM) *

Are the 911 and 914 bearings identical?

no.

well, there are 911 hubs that fit 914 bearings, but only certain years (exactly which years has escaped me).
but if i recall correct, the 911 bearings have a bigger outside diameter and don't fit into the 914 trailing arms ...

i run a complete 911 front end.
the rear is stock 914 bearings with 911 hubs and stub axles ...
bye1.gif Andy

PS: i heard rumors that the boxster uses 914 bearings as well ...
Eric_Shea
Are the 911 and 914 bearings identical?

Yes. Up to 1974. Then the 911 got a slightly deeper (5mm) and fater bearing. The ID remained 42mm.

The 914 bearing is very common and is used in the early 911, various Saabs, Volvos etc.

Andy "having no problems" is currently living on borrowed time with those slicks. wink.gif

As the wheel sizes changed with the 911, Porsche beefed up that bearing a bit. Any time you move the wheel out with spacers etc., you also put more strain on the bearing.

All that being said; the 914 bearing is fine for almost "any" application. If you're going to be racing, autocrossing or even spirited driving with larger tires and (heaven forbid) slicks, biggrin.gif you'll probably need to change them more often than a regular 914 would. I've "heard", agressive driving with big'ole tires will net you about 3 years. Only hear-say for now...

The front bearings should be treated the same. The 911 strut has a much beefier spindle and bearings but... again, the 914 bearings should be fine for most "any" application.
MZM
Thanks everyone for the info. I am trying not to do it twice!

Mike M
Eric_Shea
welcome.png
SirAndy
well, by all accounts, they *are* wear items and should be checked regularily ... smash.gif

i also run 1 1/2" spacers front & rear which adds even more load on the bearings ...
w00t.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.