Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust mismatch - maybe mixing 1.7/8 and 2.0?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toomanyinkc
The 914 experts on the forum identified my heat exchangers as '73-'74 2.0 units. I unboxed the exhaust system that the PO provided with the car and noticed that (1) it's the worst quality I've ever seen and (2) the flanges don't match my heat exchangers. The bolt holes are off just a bit.

Click to view attachment

The bolt holes in the gasket match the flanges on the black exhaust. They do not match the heat exchanger. I assume this exhaust is for a 1.7/1.8 and that is why the flanges don't match? This pic shows the gasket on the HX flange.

Click to view attachment

I've been searching the messages for exhaust system recommendations and Bursch seems to be highly regarded. I'm looking for the sweet spot of good quality, price, and reasonable power. I'll give up 5 or 10 hp if the exhaust system costs half as much. I will not, however, go so low that I have to put up with flanges that are badly warped from the welding.

What do you recommend? Engine is carb'd. Nothing special.
Dave_Darling
I believe that the gaskets you have are indeed for the 1.7/1.8 exhaust. If that is indeed the case, you'll also find that the flanges, when mounted on the engine, are a different distance apart than the inlets for your muffler.

--DD
Spoke
I can't tell much from the pic but the muffler looks exactly like the one that came with my 71 1.7L. Also I compared an exhaust gasket from my 2.0L with the 1.7L muffler and the bolt holes looked offset by as much as your pic shows.

Spoke
Demick
Measure the distance on the exhaust (center to center) between the right and left inlets. If it's 25.5", then it is for a 1.7/1.8

Your heat exchangers are definitely 2.0

Demick
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.