Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Let's plan the next NorCal/NorthBay drive
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RoadGlue
If you enjoyed our little drive on Sunday, then I say we do something similar again soon! Maybe just the local yokels will make it, maybe I'll end up driving it alone or perhaps we can get a some of the bay area crowd to join in the fun.

There are endless amazing routes I have in mind, and I'll post some of those here in Yahoo! Map link form in a few minutes to get your feedback.

How about an early afternoon drive that lasts a 2 - 3 hours with plenty of scenic stops, then we end at one of the local micro-breweries for beer and dinner?

Here are two different weekends that work for me. We could do just one of the days, or one day from each weekend for two different drives:

August Sat 11 or Sun 12

and/or

July Sat 7 or Sun 8

Stay tuned for some of the route ideas,
RoadGlue
Here's the first idea. We start in eastern Santa Rosa at the Calistoga Road Safeway Parking lot (are you excited yet??). We then head over the hill to Calistoga, over Mt. Saint Helena to Middletown (we could stop for a single beer here perhaps), over Cobb Mountain over to Clear Lake (not the town, but the lake itself), along Soda Bay road, over to the edge of Lakeport and over Hopland Grade (an AMAZING road) and down into Hopland. We could then drive down to Healdsburg for food/beer at The Bear Republic Brewery or to Santa Rosa's 3rd Street Aleworks (Mark likes this place as well).

130 miles, 3 hours from Santa Rosa out and back to Santa Rosa.

Here's the route:

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&q9=santa+...28376&mag=8
RoadGlue
Idea #2:

Start at Mark's shop in Napa. Head up 121 to Lake Berryessa, drive along the lake shore up to the north end of the lake. Take the CRAZY/Wonderful/desolate Berryessa-Knoxville Road to Lower Lake, CA. Then south west to Middletown, south on Butts Canyon Road to Pope Valley, over the hill to Angwin and then back down to the center of Napa Valley. I know Mark has a burger joint he likes in St Helena, so I ended the tour there (about 20 minutes north of Napa).

119 miles, 3 hours 20 min. Here's the route:

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&q14=saint...08286&mag=9
Scott Carlberg
is there ANY chance McMark will be picking up the Fuel Costs???
poke.gif fighting19.gif hide.gif

Randy, this thread brings back some very fond RoadGlue memories.

any chance a 914 owner could attend..... in their OTHER (German) car?
RoadGlue
Last idea for the night:

Start in the Santa Rosa area and drive up 101 to Cloverdale. Take 128 west to Boonville. Stop in at the Anderson Valley Brewing Company (http://www.avbc.com/) if we wish to do so, then head over Mountain View Road down to Hwy 1 near Point Area. Then it's a dash down the coast to Jenner and then inland to Graton (near Sebsatopol) for dinner and/or drinks or into Santa Rosa, etc.

161 miles, 3 hours 35 minutes (the first 30 miles, 30 min are on 101, though it's a nice part of 101). Here's the route:

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&q6=graton...11233&mag=9

RoadGlue
QUOTE(Scott Carlberg @ Jun 20 2007, 10:56 PM) *

poke.gif fighting19.gif hide.gif

Randy, this thread brings back some very fond RoadGlue memories.

any chance a 914 owner could attend..... in their OTHER (German) car?

Scott, if it meant seeing you again, I'd even let you come out in a FIAT! smile.gif
McMark
A Sunday in July would be better for me. driving.gif
jgara962
Either weekend would work for me. August might be better because I need time to get my battery tray fixed sad.gif
ppickerell
Tentatively in, road trips are the bomb.
Chris Pincetich
I could go for July 8 #1 route. #1 route was the only time the word AMAZING was used, so it must be good. beerchug.gif
Newer cars should stay at the back of the pack, to pick up any loose parts that fall off the 914s laugh.gif
Eric_Shea

He's working on a Performance Guarantee.

If you do not average over 40mph for the stated 3 hour trip Mark will pay back 75% of $1.00 per mile, per mph not acheived, per vehicle. This should workout to be roughly a $357.00 refund per vehicle Performance Guarantee windfall.

Meaning; yes McMark will be picking up the Fuel Costs. wink.gif
Krieger
I like idea #1. Any of those dates. I think Berryessa may have a lot of boat traffic. How bout in the morning, maybe less police/automobile activity. I love those roads. I drive them every 5 weeks or so for work in the Fusion. What's strange is it's only 1 year old and the tires are done. piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
Krieger
Oh wait I got four tires piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif . Can you tell I am very excited
jgara962
icon_bump.gif
RoadGlue
At this point, Sun the 12th would work great for me. We could always do another run in August as well.

I'm open for any of the routes, though route 1 is fantastic.

Sun the 12th work for others?
jgara962
Sunday's usually don't work to well for me, especially if we are going to head out in the afternoon and be gone until evening. Saturday's work best for me for an all day event. Gives me Sunday to regain my hearing. biggrin.gif
RoadGlue
QUOTE(jgara962 @ Jul 2 2007, 07:26 PM) *

Sunday's usually don't work to well for me, especially if we are going to head out in the afternoon and be gone until evening. Saturday's work best for me for an all day event. Gives me Sunday to regain my hearing. biggrin.gif

That Saturday should work OK for me if it's the best day for others. I just have a big event I'm attending in Oregon the following weekend, and Saturdays are the best work-on-the-914 days for me as I have access to a shop (not Mark's) in Napa on Saturdays. The car's pretty much good to go, I just need to bleed the brakes and slap on the turbo tie rod kit and the plan is to do that this Sat.

smile.gif

So who's in Sat July 14th?
McMark
Er? blink.gif

July 12th is a Thursday.
RoadGlue
Yeah, my dates were messed up. July 14th or 15th works best now. Is that OK for others?
jgara962
I have our National Sales Meeting next week which extends into the weekend sad.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jul 2 2007, 07:32 PM) *

Yeah, my dates were messed up. July 14th or 15th works best now. Is that OK for others?

14th would work for me ...

driving.gif Andy
Chris Pincetich
July 7/8 - drive and or take apart 914 to start next project beerchug.gif
July 14/15 - SoCal trip for friend's wedding beer3.gif
July 21/22 - AX/AX driving.gif
July 28/29 - CO mountainboard trip drunk.gif

shoguneagle
Anyone of the suggested trips are great drives. Born and raised in that country and it is one of the best driving areas. Cannot make it during July but will be in the Bay Area for the Monterey Historics (Saturday) and could take a drive on one of the Sundays. Any plans for August??

Steve Hurt
RoadGlue
I'm sorry for not keeping on top of this tour event. I have a bunch of mini-vacations stacked up this month and have had a hard time coordinating anything else.

I could still do a drive tomorrow, but maybe something scaled down would be better. Like a scenic drive out to the coast and then hanging out at the beach. Or a drive to the redwoods in Guernville combined with a walk around the park. Probably not what most of you wanted, but I can't really wrap my head around a big drive being that I'll be driving 1000 miles next week and another 300 + miles the week after.

Open to other ideas as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.