Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 tool kit --what should be there?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PinetreePorsche
I got my car ('73--yeah, and the 2nd one. a '72, too) without a tool
kit--the roll-up assortment. I found one, in pretty fair shape,
incomplete, for cheap-- it's medium brown (tone is slightly reddish-
brown) , grained naugahyde with 2 black snaps, about 14 in long,w/6 pockets
between the main piece and the slant-cut sewn-in second layer. I have
picked up tools--I now have all 4 wrenches, the double-ended screwdriver,
and the lug/plug/jack wrench (?), and the 15" round bar. A few questions:
Q1 -The handle-less socket wrench won't fit down in the recessed holes of the
Fuchs wheels--I assume the wrench, which also fits the jack, was made for the
steel or other wheels of the first years. -?? Did they make a thinner-
walled one later--or has anyone machined theirs down slightly at the
corners so it will go in the holes (presumably weakening it, possibly
fatally)? It's also too small, probably too short also, for a spark
plug wrench--could have been made longer and double- ended, you would
think. That's what I'd do if I ran the zoo (I had a motorcycle wrench like that)!
And Q 2-- My 1/2 inch round-stock bar (or maybe 12mm diameter) ia
14 3/4+inches long, about an inch too long to fit in the tool roll-- it sticks
sticks out the top. Did the bar come in a 14-inch size for 914s and a 15"
I have for 911s, or some other such mix, that would explain the non-fit
Q3: - I once found a link on some site, not so long ago, that had lots of
info--pics, even, on these tool rolls -- 914s, both 4 and 6 cyl, 911s, etc.
Anyone know where that site is? -Thanks
Johny Blackstain
There's a thread on this in "Originality & History". Here's what should be in your car.

cool_shades.gif
73Phoenix20
Yepo, that is Correct, Mr. Blackstain! You win the Prize at the bottom of the Cracker Jacks Pack!

In fact, the photo is of my 1973 914 2.0 "S" Tool Kit. Although, I have seen the "Pouches" made from other vinyl materials, including one type that looks like it was covered with small "bumps"...go figure...

Later 914's got the VW Tool Kit treatment, with the few essential wrapped up in a black plastic "Bag", and held together with a rubber band... black and about 7mm wide...
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(73Phoenix20 @ Jun 22 2007, 06:37 PM) *

Yepo, that is Correct, Mr. Blackstain! You win the Prize at the bottom of the Cracker Jacks Pack!

In fact, the photo is of my 1973 914 2.0 "S" Tool Kit. Although, I have seen the "Pouches" made from other vinyl materials, including one type that looks like it was covered with small "bumps"...go figure...

Later 914's got the VW Tool Kit treatment, with the few essential wrapped up in a black plastic "Bag", and held together with a rubber band... black and about 7mm wide...

Got the photo from this site:

http://www.p914.com/p914_tools_kits.htm

cool_shades.gif
NC-914
...and it is, in fact, a photo of the toolkit from my 1973 2.0 (or "S"). Mr. 73Phoenix20 must have a very similar kit (and a similar white towel that photographs as bluish in evening lighting).
icon_bump.gif
73Phoenix20
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 22 2007, 03:37 PM) *

QUOTE(73Phoenix20 @ Jun 22 2007, 06:37 PM) *

Got the photo from this site:

http://www.p914.com/p914_tools_kits.htm

cool_shades.gif

So you did...now I wonder where "They" got those photos...?
These are all taken in my living room... very interesting...
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
73Phoenix20
These are all taken in my living room... very interesting...
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
[/quote]

And one more, showing the Bag with the Red Sash...

BUT, now I see that the Pliers are not exactly the same , nor is the Tow Hook!

Amazing how similar the photos can be....
Click to view attachment
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(NC-914 @ Jun 22 2007, 08:35 PM) *

...and it is, in fact, a photo of the toolkit from my 1973 2.0 (or "S"). Mr. 73Phoenix20 must have a very similar kit (and a similar white towel that photographs as bluish in evening lighting).
icon_bump.gif

If I may ask, what does your tool kit have to do w/ that website? Might you have something to do w/ that website? Any history behind it? Just curious.

cool_shades.gif
NC-914
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 22 2007, 05:54 PM) *

QUOTE(NC-914 @ Jun 22 2007, 08:35 PM) *

icon_bump.gif

If I may ask, what does your tool kit have to do w/ that website? Might you have something to do w/ that website? Any history behind it? Just curious.

cool_shades.gif

It's my site.

Honestly, I created it because I got really tired of seeing people totally misrepresenting things on eBay and in other online sites as "factory Porsche 914" equipment or "rare original 914/6" when it was aftermarket or VW or standard 914/4 or otherwise incorrect. For things like tool kits, gauges, mirrors, etc., I couldn't find a good, free, online repository (especially one with pictures) to spell out what was correct for a given 914 or 914/6 model year, so I figured I'd start one.

For instance, In the three tool kits pictured by 73Phoenix20, the top one (bag w/ white ties) looks 100% correct for a '70-'73 914/4. By the presence of the 914 tow eye-hook, I expect the second picture is supposed to be a 914/6 tool kit, but 914/6 tool kits had no tire gauge, the bag is aftermarket (white interior and polished snap are wrong), the spark plug socket is for a 912, the open-end wrenches appear to be "SELECTED-SPECIAL-STEEL" (post 1974 911) instead of the correct "DROP FORGED STEEL" wrenches, the P208 pulley wrench is aftermarket (should not have a hole in the end), and the screwdrivers and pliers are also wrong. The third kit is a Beetle kit with a painted 914 tow eye-hook and a spark plug socket likely from a VW single or crew-cab. Most people wouldn't know or care yellowsleep[1].gif about any of this... but, for those that do, I built P914. I'll be adding a "badges" section when I get a chance.

I hope that's what you meant by "...history behind it." smile.gif
NC-914
...and it sounds like the creator of this thread got taken by one of the aforementioned "misrepresenting" sellers. Man, that sucks.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(NC-914 @ Jun 22 2007, 11:31 PM) *

It's my site.
Honestly, I created it because I got really tired of seeing people totally misrepresenting things on eBay and in other online sites as "factory Porsche 914" equipment or "rare original 914/6" when it was aftermarket or VW or standard 914/4 or otherwise incorrect. For things like tool kits, gauges, mirrors, etc., I couldn't find a good, free, online repository (especially one with pictures) to spell out what was correct for a given 914 or 914/6 model year, so I figured I'd start one.
For instance, In the three tool kits pictured by 73Phoenix20, the top one (bag w/ white ties) looks 100% correct. By the presence of the 914 tow eye-hook, I expect the second picture is supposed to be a 914/6 tool kit, but 914/6 tool kits had no tire gauge, the bag is aftermarket (white interior and polished snap are wrong), the spark plug socket is for a 912, the open-end wrenches appear to be "SELECTED-SPECIAL-STEEL" (post 1974 911) instead of the correct "DROP FORGED STEEL" wrenches, the P208 pulley wrench is aftermarket (should not have a hole in the end), and the pliers are wrong. The third kit is a Beetle kit with a painted 914 tow eye-hook and a spark plug socket likely from a VW single or crew-cab. Most people wouldn't know or care yellowsleep[1].gif about any of this... but, for those that do, I built P914. I'll be adding a "badges" section when I get a chance.
I hope that's what you meant by "...history behind it." smile.gif

Cool! I've been using it to piece together a tool kit for the six off of eBay. I came w/ no kit or jack, but I had a six jack lying around. Thanks for the info.

cool_shades.gif
scotty b
That's really cool of you Steve. One of my pet peeves with the "restoration" books ( for all makes) is they NEVER go into real details such as the tool kits, under carriage colors ( suspension being flat, semi or gloss) correct colors for all of the misc. bits, optional accessories...I could go on and on. I restore cars for a living and while most people aren't that anal, it would be nice to know these things if and when the anal guy shows up ! Some of the shops that do REAL concourse werk amaze me as to the details, ie: getting the correct tone paint for the markings on the suspension blink.gif
NC-914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 22 2007, 07:59 PM) *

That's really cool of you Steve. One of my pet peeves with the "restoration" books ( for all makes) is they NEVER go into real details such as the tool kits, under carriage colors ( suspension being flat, semi or gloss) correct colors for all of the misc. bits, optional accessories...I could go on and on. I restore cars for a living and while most people aren't that anal, it would be nice to know these things if and when the anal guy shows up ! Some of the shops that do REAL concourse werk amaze me as to the details, ie: getting the correct tone paint for the markings on the suspension blink.gif

I think the vast majority of suspension components are semi-gloss black, and the under carriage is the same color as the rest of the chassis... but you really need to confirm stuff like that in the "Originality & History" forum with the concours guys. I will never be a concours guy, because I try to correct the original engineering problems (battery placement, fuel pump placement, tie rod bind, etc. - known issues) during my restos... so I'm not so concerned with the gloss percentage of the paint on the trailing arms. I just get them powder coated in whatever semi-gloss black they normally use at Top Coat. biggrin.gif

I'm glad you like the site, though.
scotty b
Yeah I powder coated my dads suspension all in a "mild" gloss. It is actually called "cat black". I have decided in the future to use Matte black. It looks much better IMHO not quite as "blingy" slap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.