Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with A/C repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shadygrady
The a/c in my 73 2.0 does not work. It needs several things including a compressor. Are there more efficient new ones out there that are bolt on or have new mounts? I plan to convert to R134. I was thinking of taking the old lines and getting new ones made locally.

I know most of you will say you don't need a/c, take the top off. But my better half who helped me buy the car likes a/c so that is not an option. So any advise and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
904svo
There is a kit out there that converts the system to R134A using a Sandon SD508 compressor. I forgot who sell the kit but if you do a search of 914 A/C kits you will
find it.

This is the site you have to call them for a 914
http://www.griffiths.com/porsche/ac/

Hope this helps you.
914rrr
QUOTE(shadygrady @ Jun 22 2007, 05:50 PM) *

The a/c in my 73 2.0 does not work. It needs several things including a compressor. Are there more efficient new ones out there that are bolt on or have new mounts? I plan to convert to R134. I was thinking of taking the old lines and getting new ones made locally.

I know most of you will say you don't need a/c, take the top off. But my better half who helped me buy the car likes a/c so that is not an option. So any advise and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Amen on having AC, especially in the south. There is no way I would use a 914 as a daily driver there w/o AC. When I lived in FL, my daily driver 74 2.0 had a DPD AC system with the old school piston style compressor running R12. That system blew ice cubes, and really didn't drag the engine down all that bad. Sooo, old style equipment with new lines could work.

One side benefit is that it will defrost your windows in seconds.

You MUST replace the AC lines. R134 runs at a much higher pressure than R12. The OG lines were barely adequate when new for R12, 30+ years later, no way.

I know a guy in FL who is deveolping an all new AC system for 914's. Supposedly the compressor mount (using a small rotary compressor) is below the engine sheetmetal and you don't have to cut anything in the engine bay to install it.

He has installed AC systems in aircooled VW's for years. Link to follow.

http://www.gilmore-enterprises.net/GH/index.htm

2-OH!
To take the "Dr.914@autoatlanta.com" approach...

Hey I got a new compressor for sale, just P.M. me...

I thought about putting A/C in my 73 restoration, but changed my mind at the last minute...I had already purchased the compressor...

2-OH!
Tobra
There is an outfit in San Antonio I believe that does A/C for AC VW cars, should be able to hook you up.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(2-OH! @ Jun 22 2007, 04:15 PM) *

To take the "Dr.914" approach...

Hey I got a new compressor for sale, just P.M. me...

I thought about putting A/C in my 73 restoration, but changed my mind at the last minute...I had already bought the compressor...

2-OH!

excellent and very efficient r 134 custom 914 systems with dual condenser are available for the car and they work great. No problem these days. The guy who designed the dpd so called factory system now makes the most modern and efficient system money can buy (about 2 grand!)
ClayPerrine
Betty's car has a DPD system that was converted to R134a. It was easy. I bought the compressor kit from IceAC. It is literally a bolt on setup. I then took the hoses off and had them remade with barrier hose at a local AC shop. Bought a new dryer and o-rings, and hooked it all up. This was 5 years ago. I had to do a top off of the refrigerant for the first time this spring. It will cool you down with no problem on a 100 degree Texas day.

Good luck on the AC. It makes a 914 a true daily driver.
rfuerst911sc
Just a few comments as I have redone the AC in my 911 and I will be adding AC to my 914. First off the Sanden 507 or 508 are excellent compressors but are not rotary they are wobble plate piston type. They are very quiet,small,efficient and use very little horsepower. You do want to replace the old porous rubber lines with new barrier hose. If you can find a local shop to work with you all the better that's what I did. I used the old fittings and had new hose crimped on just make sure for any angled fittings you have the clocking position correct. The normal downfall for Porsche AC is not enough condensor space and poor effiencecy evaporators. The two condensor setup from what I can tell works very well but I wouldn't rule out a 964/993 OEM setup from the 1990-1998 Porsches. This condensor is efficient and has a powerful fan and I think it will fit in the rear wheelwell of a 914. Also in place of the standard receiver/drier there is a product called a Procooler which will help with additional cooling. I don't know what's available for a evaporator, I know Rennaire and others offer a upgrade for 911's but I have to learn about 914's. And last I like useing HC12 for refrigerant instead of R134A. HC12 is flammable but it cools better than R134A and runs at lower pressures. This is mostly for the DIYer as most shops don't want the liability of flammable refrigerants. Good luck with your AC project.
Brando
Barrier lines and R12...

It's doable. I've seen 914s with a huge dual-pass condensor under the car (not in the front trunk). Just got to be careful with speed bumps! That car blew 50ยบ out of the vents...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.