Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adjusting Valves and Checkin Head Torque
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I believe I have asked this before but couldn't find it using the search function.

Is it possible to adjust the valves and re-check the torque of the heads with the motor in the car?

Plus, I got pretty good at adjusting the valves on the /4. Is it alot more difficult on a six?
PeeGreen 914
Valve adjust isn't too hard to do, but I don't know about checking head torque. I think the dog ears would get in the way. Oh, what valve covers do you have. If you have the vented covers you would have to have them altered in order to take them off and put them on with the engine in. If they are the stock covers they should be fine.
Allan
QUOTE(Blood red 914-6gt @ Jun 22 2007, 08:13 PM) *

Oh, what valve covers do you have. If you have the vented covers you would have to have them altered in order to take them off and put them on with the engine in.

I have the modified turbo valve covers.

brant
Once again the patric motor mount pays off...

I (before it was wrecked) changed my oil, adjusted valves, and checked head torques every single race weekend without actually dropping motor.

PeeGreen 914
I think I am going to do that mount. I don't like my qiuck six bar anymore after hearing about all the cool mounts like yours.

So, if your valve covers are not altered yet you need to take off some of the fins that would make things difficult in getting the covers off with the hoses and dog ears in the way. The first pic is from the right bank, and the second is from the left near the oil cooler. They come off fairly easy after you do this.
Allan
My valve covers have been modified so they can be R&R'd with the motor in. I think I have the factory looking mount that is welded to the bulkhead. My big concern is, how do you know the valves are in the correct position for adjustment if you can't see the fan. I do have the flywheel marked at 0 tdc.
brp914
you should have 120 degree marks on the front pulley. don't rotate the engine backwards.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.