Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Caliper Seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
911/914gary
I am in the process of rebuilding my rear brake calipers. I noticed the square “O” ring seal for the outer adjustment screw was not included in the rebuild kit. Is there a replacement for this?
davep
The adjuster O-ring seals may be available in some kits, but not all. I think Part Works of Chicago has these seals available. The advertise on Ebay all the time. It would be better to contact them directly to save time and cost though. The seals themselves are not easy to find. I looked for years without success.

DaveP
911/914gary
I've seen these seals. They cost as much as the rebuild kits!

I ordered rebuild kits form pelican. These are complete kits except for the dust boot retainer (which too big) must be trimmed and the adjusting screw O-ring is wrong. This O-ring is too small in cross section and is circular instead of square. I am tempted to remove the square seal and measure the seal groove on the screw. (I have a lot of seal supplier contacts, through work, that will go out of their way to help me). But I’m concerned that if I damage the seal and my resources can’t find a match, I’ll have a worthless caliper!

Does anyone have a spare screw available that can be measured? If so I need the seal groove I.D. and the groove width measured. I may find a cheaper replacement.
davep
It would take me a little while to get the info for you. May be as late as Monday to get a set of verniers on a screw. I "think" it may be a 4mm ID x 5mm OD ring. I'll take at least 20 rings if you can find them at a decent price. And yeah, the seal kits are way overpriced.

DaveP
911/914gary
w00t.gif
That would be great Dave. I need the measurements taken to .XXX in or .XX mm. Thanks.
maf914
911/914Gary,

If you can find a replacement I'd be interested in buying a couple of pair. Let us know when and how. Good luck.

Mike
tod914
Partwerks advertises them.
davep
I just got the adjuster out of the caliper. The nut was really screwed up. Wrong one also.

The outer adjuster has an O-ring groove and I measured the diameter of the groove as 0.250" . Yeah, not metric at all. Was I surprised! The O-ring split when I tried to remove it, but it measures 0.040" cross-section. The width of the groove is over 0.050" and definitely under 0.062"

DaveP
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.