Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Ride Height
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nick mironov

I need to lower the front by about 1/2 inch.
Does anyone have step-by-step instructions for adjusting the torsion bars to lower the front ride height?
Do you use the adjustment screws first or do you reindex first?
Where are the adjustment screws?
How much height adjustment do they offer?
At what point to the torsion bars need to be reindexed and how is that done?
Crazyhippy
The adjusters are @ the back center of the A-arms. You can reach them w/ the car on the ground, reach from behind the tire. 10MM if memory serves me correctly.

I would adjust w/ the adjusters as much as possible. 1/2" should be easily do-able. remeber to re-settle the suspension before measuring (drive around the block is ideal, but rolling 5' back and forth works too...

BJH
SirAndy
QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Jun 24 2007, 02:15 PM) *

The adjusters are @ the back center of the A-arms. You can reach them w/ the car on the ground, reach from behind the tire. 10MM if memory serves me correctly.

I would adjust w/ the adjusters as much as possible. 1/2" should be easily do-able. remeber to re-settle the suspension before measuring (drive around the block is ideal, but rolling 5' back and forth works too...

close ... biggrin.gif

11mm bolt, losen the bolt to lower the car, tighten to raise. adjuster cap is at the backend of the a-arm ...

for lowering, you'll have to re-index if the adjuster arm (the lever the bolt goes through) hits the top of the cap. at that point, you're out of adjustment.

to re-index, jack up the front (unload), take the bolt out of the cap, slide cap off the torsion bar and put back on rotated by one notch. for lowering, that would be rotating clockwise.
put bolt back in, let the car down and continue adjusting.

important, like mentioned above, you need to settle the car after each adjustment. roll it around a bit. otherwise, your measurements will be off ...

smash.gif Andy
iamchappy
I believe this will also effect toe in...
burton73
All the above. I take a tape measure to CK height from side to side. I bounce it up and down to settle it out. This is the same for 911 or 914 for me. ½” in not that much. Now you guys want to tell me why bouncing does not work? It is harder for me to push it around.

Bob
sww914
Bouncing alone doesn't work if the tires have traction on the surface that the car is resting on because the tires will hold the car close to the position it was before you made an adjustment. The tires need to spread or move closer together as the suspension moves up and down, and rolling allows them to move.
Bouncing works if you have the car on turn plates that allow the wheels to move sideways in relation to each other.
burton73
Thanks for that answer. When do you your set ride height? Full tank of gas?

Bob
Crazyhippy

close ... biggrin.gif

11mm bolt, losen the bolt to lower the car, tighten to raise. adjuster cap is at the backend of the a-arm ... smash.gif Andy

Damn brain... time to go back to killing you w/ alcohol beerchug.gif beer3.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(burton73 @ Jun 24 2007, 04:46 PM) *

Thanks for that answer. When do you your set ride height? Full tank of gas?

~1/2 tank of gas and the weight of the driver in the drivers seat ...
bye1.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.