Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Push rod tubes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eldiosyeldiablo
I tried to search the BBS but it does not like words that are less than 3 characters. sad.gif

How much is it to pay someone to do push rods for oil leaking from them?

Any articles on how to do it yourself?

Thx,
David smilie_pokal.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
I'll shoot for the obvious and say, "have ya looked in a shop manual?". Haynes, Clymer or somewhere in the ones on this server?
eldiosyeldiablo
Well as I don't own a 914 yet and thus don't have any manuals... nope I have not looked smile.gif laugh.gif

I'm downloading the manuals from the /downloads/ folder now. Waiting .... waiting...

Anyone have the cost on paying someone to do this?

Brad? Normal cost that your shop charges?

-David
eldiosyeldiablo
I am unable to download the files sad.gif Either their is a lot of traffic tonight on the site or my laptop is trying to barf on me. sad.gif ohmy.gif

-David
Bleyseng
Its not that hard to do even with the motor in the car. You have to do a valve adjustment at the end of the process but even that is pretty easy.

Geoff
Jake Raby
Use Viton seals inborad and outboard... CLEAN THE SURFACES OF ALL OIL!!
Then ensure there are no sharp edges inside the cylinder or case bores(this is a major rookie problem area, the seals are cut as son as they are installed and leak immediately)

Then use loctite 7516 Thread sealant on the inside and outside of the o rings... Leaks are gone.

I have built engines so dry underneath that the pushrod tubes actually rusted completel out- Then they leaked after 12 years!!
eldiosyeldiablo
Ahh I see now (i think). The push rod tubes seals are where the rocker arms are. Yes?

So the seal is right there. Ok. Thx guys.

Now its time to call MikeZ.

-David
Jake Raby
There sre two seals that are actualy o rings... The book says to install them with oil, BUT we NEVER do... they always leak like that!

To get to them the rockers, and pushrods have to come out.

I would personally remove the engine- Job will be faster and cleaner with better results.
ldino21
I actualy called a local VW shop to ask them how much they would charge to do it. They told me they would have to charge me a minimum of 5 hours or Approx. $300 bucks!!!
Joe Bob
QUOTE(ldino21 @ Dec 12 2003, 09:11 PM)
I actualy called a local VW shop to ask them how much they would charge to do it. They told me they would have to charge me a minimum of 5 hours or Approx. $300 bucks!!!

Go someplace else...unless that includes the tubes and seals.....

Pushrod tubes house the pushrods....duh blink.gif

They have seals on each end, use Viton....one on the head and one on the case. After a few (years) cycles of heat and cold they start to leak. Replacement requires removal of the rocker arm assembly(s) and then push rods, then the tubes. A hint is to keep the assemblies on the same side to minimize adjustments....assumimg they were close to begin with.

Easy if you have done VW or Type IV motors before. Can be done in a couple of hours.....

YMMV, just my experience, beer will double the time involved.....letting dumass brother do it for ya will handgrenade the motor.....
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 12 2003, 07:32 PM)
Use Viton seals inborad and outboard... CLEAN THE SURFACES OF ALL OIL!!
Then ensure there are no sharp edges inside the cylinder or case bores(this is a major rookie problem area, the seals are cut as son as they are installed and leak immediately)

Then use loctite 7516 Thread sealant on the inside and outside of the o rings... Leaks are gone.

I have built engines so dry underneath that the pushrod tubes actually rusted completel out- Then they leaked after 12 years!!

Going off on a tangent here but...Jake, have you thought about taking these little tidbits of information and compiling them into a booklet? Kind of like the "914 Tech Tips 700" by G. Hussey but for engines? Because I would follow the shop manual but with your hundreds (thousands?) of engine building experiences I would find your help more, uhm, helpful smile.gif It would be kind of like an addendum to the shop manual.

My pushrod tubes are leaking like crazy (as is most of the engine) so I will be replacing those seals, using your advice on what to do smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.