Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedo Replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
warrenoliver
I want to replace my speedometer. Before I get too far into this project, I need to know if I can do this with the steering wheel on. When I look at the dash, it looks like I remove the screws around the guage cluster and it should slide out. But, the steering wheel and steering column might be in the way for it to slide out far enough for me to get at the retainer for the speedometer.
Hopefully this won't be a bigger project than I initially thought.

Thanks

Warrenoliver
914nerd
You can slide the gauges out with the wheel in.
It isn't too bad, ass long as you don't force anything (might break the plastic).
KaptKaos
The gauges just pull out of the dash, no need to remove the dash.

Each gauge has a rubber grommet (for lack of a better word) areound it that holds it into place. It should slide forward fairly easily. If it is stuck, then you will need to push from behind by pulling the dash.

If you have a stock steering wheel, the horn pad is rtemoved by rotating it (clockwise? - I forget) and it will pop off. Don't do this too hard, as it may break the horn wire.

The wheel is held on by a 27mm (please confirm) nut, so you will need a big socket to get that off. Make sure the wheel is @ 12:00 o'clock before you pull it. Makes getting it back on easier.

Also, if you pull the wheel. Make sure you go back and tighten the nut that holds it on after you have driven the car for a few days. Those buggers can work loose.

Have fun.
warrenoliver
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Jun 25 2007, 10:06 AM) *

The gauges just pull out of the dash, no need to remove the dash.

Each gauge has a rubber grommet (for lack of a better word) areound it that holds it into place. It should slide forward fairly easily. If it is stuck, then you will need to push from behind by pulling the dash.

If you have a stock steering wheel, the horn pad is rtemoved by rotating it (clockwise? - I forget) and it will pop off. Don't do this too hard, as it may break the horn wire.

The wheel is held on by a 27mm (please confirm) nut, so you will need a big socket to get that off. Make sure the wheel is @ 12:00 o'clock before you pull it. Makes getting it back on easier.

Also, if you pull the wheel. Make sure you go back and tighten the nut that holds it on after you have driven the car for a few days. Those buggers can work loose.

Have fun.

Wow, KaptKaos, you sure are up early for a California guy! I am confused now about the speedo guage removal. My car is a 73 - does the guage just slide out from a rubber grommet? I sure don't see any evidence of a grommet. I thought I remembered seeing a U shaped bracket that attaches to the speedo guage that holds it tight against the dash. Am I mistaken?
BTW, how were the brats?
Thanks.

Warrenoliver
Dr Evil
All original gauges just slide right out. The rubber grommet is only evident by the little black lip around your gauge. Just twist and pull.
ptravnic
I've done this with and without steering wheel removal. The time I think I'm saving by not removing the steering wheel is usually lost due to me not having elf hands - it's awefully cluttered & tight fitting/obstructed with the steering wheel on.

For the steering wheel nut I use vise grips or channel locks - never had a problem with it working loose.

I agree with the above about marking the steering wheel before you slip it off.

-pt
Lavanaut
The folks who've already weighed-in on this know oceans more about these cars than I do, but having dismantled the whole gauge cluster myself (replacing PO's not-so-clean wood dash install), I'll say this:

1. My gauges were very much stuck in the cluster surround, there's no way I could have gotten them out w/o pushing on them from behind.

2. If you use anything to pry the gauge out (perhaps just enough to get something to grab hold of), be careful. I nicked the side of one of my gauges doing this. Pry gently. blink.gif

Here are a couple pics, not sure how useful they'll be. As you can see, I went through the whole process with the steering wheel in place. It's doable. But if I were to do it again I'd definitely pop the steering wheel off...incredibly simple and will make your life a lot easier.

beerchug.gif
Reid
RON S.

The gauges are easy to get out.

The only thing that is a PITA is the wires are usually short,and everything starts coming loose as it comes out.

I solved that issue by adding about 6'' to each wire.Now it is a lot easier to remove and replace.

Ron
warrenoliver
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Jun 25 2007, 01:08 PM) *

The folks who've already weighed-in on this know oceans more about these cars than I do, but having dismantled the whole gauge cluster myself, I'll say this:

1. My gauges were very much stuck in the cluster surround, there's no way I could have gotten them out w/o pushing on them from behind.

2. If you use anything to pry the gauge out (perhaps just enough to get something to grab hold of), be careful. I nicked the side of one of my gauges doing this. Pry gently. blink.gif

Here are a couple pics, not sure how useful they'll be. As you can see, I went through the whole process with the steering wheel in place. It's doable. But if I were to do it again I'd definitely pop the steering wheel off...incredibly simple and will make your life a lot easier.

beerchug.gif
Reid

lavanaut,

Nice dash and steering wheel. Thanks for the pics.

Warrenoliver
KaptKaos
QUOTE(warrenoliver @ Jun 25 2007, 08:53 AM) *

Wow, KaptKaos, you sure are up early for a California guy! I am confused now about the speedo guage removal. My car is a 73 - does the guage just slide out from a rubber grommet? I sure don't see any evidence of a grommet. I thought I remembered seeing a U shaped bracket that attaches to the speedo guage that holds it tight against the dash. Am I mistaken?
BTW, how were the brats?
Thanks.

Warrenoliver

The Brats were awesome. I made a bunch for one of Joe Sharp's BBQs a few months back.

Glad to see you are getting things done on the car. That's awesome.

Mine is a 73 and there are no brackets holding the gauges in. Twist it gently and you will see how they come out. The grommet should stay in the gauge, but it might not depending on the condition of the rubber.

As for being up early, a late flight from NJ yesterday and I am a little jet lagged. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.