Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 oil pressure gauge question ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
is there an older style (pre '90s, before they went all plastic) 911 combo oil-temp/oil-pressure gauge that will work with the later style 993 5 bar sending unit?

i currently have a '74 911 S gauge and it reads exactly double. the 993 motor uses the newer style sending units with the large threads, so using an older sending unit is out of the question.

is there such a thing as an earlier style gauge that works with the 5 bar sending unit?
idea.gif Andy
904svo
Goto www.nhspeedometer.com look under vdo they list all the senders with the
threads and range of the sending units.
bondo
Why is an older sender out of the question? The newer sender uses larger threads, so an adapter would be easy to make. I made an adapter to go the other way, which is harder. smile.gif

Check my progress thread for pics of my adapter.
SirAndy
QUOTE(bondo @ Jun 25 2007, 04:29 PM) *

Why is an older sender out of the question?

because i'm tired of waiting on the machine shop for a week only to get the wrong part and then i have to wait all over again ... rolleyes.gif

someone on pelican mentioned that the SC and 3.2 Carrera used 5 bar sending units as well.

if that is correct, i'd rather get one of them gauges ...
idea.gif Andy
Cap'n Krusty
Call Palo Alto Speedometer. They're close by, probably have what you need in stock, and know their stuff. The Cap'n
Dave_Darling
The SC does have a 5 bar gauge. Don't know the range of the sender, but the gauge is 5 bar.

...Just drove one last week, so the memory is pretty fresh... wink.gif

--DD
Dr Evil
Maybe this will help you?

SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 25 2007, 07:18 PM) *

Maybe this will help you?

not really, as the '95 993 sending unit is not on there ...
smile.gif Andy
McMark
Can you just call EASY and ask for a 5 bar or 80 psi gauge unit? There ain't nuthin' fancy about them gauges. '95 or '75, they'll work just fine.
Dr Evil
Duh, my bad. You have one of those rich 3.6 engines rolleyes.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 25 2007, 08:54 PM) *

Can you just call EASY and ask for a 5 bar or 80 psi gauge unit? There ain't nuthin' fancy about them gauges. '95 or '75, they'll work just fine.

already did. they couldn't come with anything that worked ...
sad.gif Andy
Grngoat
I bought a SC temp guage and sent it to North Hollywood Speedometer to put numbers on it and when it came back, they sent a new sending unit as well. It screwed right in in place of the old 993 unit. I haven't started the car yet, but it fits. Either NHS or Palo Alto will have the correct sending units.
PRS914-6
Andy, when I had North Hollywood rebuild mine, they provided me with an adapter to fit the larger hole of the 993 while using the early sender with 77 gauges.. Call them and ask for Kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.