Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sell engine whole or break it down?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
racunniff
As part of my electric conversion, I now have a 4-cylinder 1.7L engine that I have no use for. Engine number is EA 026762 which correlates with the 1972 model year (interestingly, my car is a '75 - obviously a transplant). Has aftermarket Webers, as you can see. Seemed to run just fine before I extracted it.

My gut feeling is that people would find this more useful as parts than as a whole. But I'm curious what y'all think?

Click to view attachment
Rand
I would think it depends on how the motor was built....

If your motor was rebuilt with a cam that was suited for the carb conversion, I would think it would be worth more as a package.

If the carbs were thrown on a stock motor because there were unresolved FI issues, then maybe you're better off selling the carb package separately and trying to part it out.
brant
I might be interested.
I have a chassis with a blown motor that I haven't gotten rebuilt.
how long ago did it last run?
how well did it run?
when was it last tested for emissions?

my direct email is:
brant914@hotmail.com

thanks
brant
racunniff
I have no idea whether the cams were redone with the carbs - I'd have to take it apart to find out, I think (unless there is some easy trick that I'm unaware of).

Regarding, how long ago did it last run - it was decomissioned in July of 2006, so, 1 year. I'd say it ran "OK" - started a bit hard, and missed occasionally at idle. Acceleration was reasonable, no excess exhaust - but I'm pretty sure the main seal leaks. The clutch was saturated with oil. Persistent smell of gasoline, but the fuel lines were pretty well shot when I pulled them out.

As far as I know, it has never passed emissions (the last certificate I have is for Colorado, which lets you "pass" after some rather small dollar amount of effort, something like $100).

QUOTE(brant @ Jun 25 2007, 04:47 PM) *

I might be interested.
I have a chassis with a blown motor that I haven't gotten rebuilt.
how long ago did it last run?
how well did it run?
when was it last tested for emissions?

my direct email is:
brant914@hotmail.com

thanks
brant

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.