Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: elephant poly bronze rears
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pffft
I need to swap over to a different set of trailing arms
and while I'm at it I am considering going poly bronze.

Anyone wanna share experiences?

patrick
Eric_Shea
I've installed a ton. Excellent quality. The only thing I'm not whipped over is the small 5M x .8 bleeders. They're a pain to install and get right.

Some people have installed them without the bleeders. I'm thinking that you pre-lube those slots and throw it together and the no bleeder route might be fine.
rhodyguy
i sure like the set on the front i have. someday i'd like to do rears on one of the sets of trailing arms i have.

k
Lou W
I did front and rear on my car. I agree with Eric on the fittings, I broke one and had to order a replacement from Elephant.

If you decide to do the front, I would recomend getting the "Self Aligning A-Arm Bearing Mount Set" from Tarett Engineering. Tarett Engineering
Mueller
QUOTE(Lou W @ Jun 26 2007, 08:21 AM) *

I did front and rear on my car. I agree with Eric on the fittings, I broke one and had to order a replacement from Elephant.

If you decide to do the front, I would recomend getting the "Self Aligning A-Arm Bearing Mount Set" from Tarett Engineering. Tarett Engineering

you should only need to use those if your chassis is "tweaked"..oh wait, that pretty much means most smile.gif

rhodyguy
the elephant fronts perform the self aligning feature when installed correctly.

k
Mueller
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 26 2007, 09:13 AM) *

k

the kit is for tweaked chassis only (or if your original housing are toast)..what is nice about the needle bearings is that the tolerance between the sleeve and the bearings is tight fitting, the bearings allow up to 2° misalignment (I'd have to look at the spces to be sure)

for the Elephant bushings, this is a good place for some Kytox grease....too bad it's like $300 per pound or something crazy like that....
Joe Ricard
I am going to figure out a way to put some roundy round car steel control arm bushings in my traling arms.
Stay tuned.
pffft
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 26 2007, 09:24 AM) *

k

the kit is for tweaked chassis only (or if your original housing are toast)..what is nice about the needle bearings is that the tolerance between the sleeve and the bearings is tight fitting, the bearings allow up to 2° misalignment (I'd have to look at the spces to be sure)

for the Elephant bushings, this is a good place for some Kytox grease....too bad it's like $300 per pound or something crazy like that....

Move along, Mike, no volvos to see here! biggrin.gif

BTW, drove the white car w/v8 for the first time this weekend. Pretty neat till
I gassed it a little bit in 3rd and the clutch slipped. I can rev it as I drive along
in 3rd or 4th, (actually 4th and 5th, I suppose, on the 901) without accelerating
so I'm just gonna swap in the 930 box and clutch. I have some
trailing arms that already have 911 stubs in em that I will use with my hybrid
911/930 axles, and I figure I might as well redo the bushings before I put them
in.
Lou W
QUOTE(pffft @ Jun 26 2007, 10:29 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 26 2007, 09:24 AM) *

k

Move along, Mike, no volvos to see here! biggrin.gif

BTW, drove the white car w/v8 for the first time this weekend. Pretty neat till
I gassed it a little bit in 3rd and the clutch slipped. I can rev it as I drive along
in 3rd or 4th, (actually 4th and 5th, I suppose, on the 901) without accelerating
so I'm just gonna swap in the 930 box and clutch. I have some
trailing arms that already have 911 stubs in em that I will use with my hybrid
911/930 axles, and I figure I might as well redo the bushings before I put them
in.

My original housings where out of round from wear, that's why I used them. smile.gif
PRS914-6
The Poly-Bronze are great. No problems with the grease fitting unless you install them the way the instructions show. I let Chuck know that they need to revise the instructions but I don't know if that has been done. Here is the correct location.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Brando
Installed a few in customers' car. Really changed the ride quality. Felt like 993 out of the box. Stock suspension.
Eric_Shea
No problems with the grease fitting unless you install them the way the instructions show. I let Chuck know that they need to revise the instructions but I don't know if that has been done. Here is the correct location.

Didn't we talk to you about gloves before??? biggrin.gif
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Jun 26 2007, 07:46 PM) *

Here is the correct location.

Sweet. I hope to be installing new rear bushings myself in early July, and am most nervous about the grease fittings.

Where can I buy the threaded grease fittings? FLAPs? Home Depot? Summit? McMaster Carr?
Lou W
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Jun 27 2007, 11:34 AM) *

QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Jun 26 2007, 07:46 PM) *

Here is the correct location.

Sweet. I hope to be installing new rear bushings myself in early July, and am most nervous about the grease fittings.

Where can I buy the threaded grease fittings? FLAPs? Home Depot? Summit? McMaster Carr?

They come with the kit from Elephant.... when I broke one of mine (trying to get them facing a certain direction) I checked all the local flaps.... they are a wierd size, so no one had them, so I called Elephant and they shipped me a replacement.
JoeSharp
So Thomas and I were joking about how stiff Linda's car would be with Bill's all the way around and the new springs and sway-bar. We thought it would be as stiff as a race car. To our surprise she liked the ride and after I drove the car I thought the same thing. The ride quality had increased because of the bushings.
PRS914-6
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 27 2007, 09:37 AM) *

Didn't we talk to you about gloves before??? biggrin.gif

Yep, and I think I gave the appropriate reply..... bootyshake.gif biggrin.gif

Eric_Shea
mad.gif

lol3.gif
nsr-jamie
icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif

This thread is like 5 years old or so, sorry for the bump. I am going to attempt to install the rear Elephant bushings this weekend with my friends help if its possible and before we tried, he took a look at the rear and is telling me we need to drop the engine. Is this true? Can these not be installed somewhat easily? I have done some searches and have not had any good luck and the Elephant directions are not the easiest for me to understand...is this a lot of work ? better to leave to a shop? Any help or advice would be great......and while I am at it I will do the front too along with some new turbo tie rods
rnellums
Engine drop not needed, but it would ease access to the inner bolt. Just removing the headers should suffice though. A 4 wheel alignment is gonna be required once you put them back in though as you'll have to remove the outer suspension mount.
Eric_Shea
There's a newer thread from last month that gives better details (you're in it too).

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=162781
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.