Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: auto X in Marina
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
smokey
Any one interested ? Andy will have the 3.6 there. popcorn[1].gif smoke.gif driving.gif Hey andy. Can i have a ride ? pray.gif idea.gif . i want to know what my 3.2 will feal like.
smokey
This weekend 30th. monterey county.. Marina airport... All welcome.. 14ers
grantsfo
I think it should be a good showing. I think Brad will be there helping to setup the Beast. I'm still sorting out my car and hoping to have slicks by then. I think Brad has arranged for discounted entry fees, but check the club site for details.
Borderline
I'll be there....wait..didn't we already have this thread in the garage?? Should be...interesting group of people there.
Chris Pincetich
I just made plans to spend Friday night in Santa Cruz with my buddy so I can shorten my drive to Marina Saturday morning beerchug.gif
I just have to remember not too have too much fun (beer) the night before the race or I will be too groggy and sleepy to make a showing - FYI that's why I missed the RR AX last weekend! drunk.gif
After WCR, I think the only way to show up in style at an AX in my 914 is with a huge caravan of 914s! We had almost 10 in a row at WCR. I'll be driving from Santa Cruz to Marina Saturday morning, and if anybody feels spirited or organized enough to caravan down HWY 1 just shoot me a PM beerchug.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Jun 27 2007, 10:07 AM) *

I just made plans to spend Friday night in Santa Cruz with my buddy so I can shorten my drive to Marina Saturday morning beerchug.gif
I just have to remember not too have too much fun (beer) the night before the race or I will be too groggy and sleepy to make a showing - FYI that's why I missed the RR AX last weekend! drunk.gif
After WCR, I think the only way to show up in style at an AX in my 914 is with a huge caravan of 914s! We had almost 10 in a row at WCR. I'll be driving from Santa Cruz to Marina Saturday morning, and if anybody feels spirited or organized enough to caravan down HWY 1 just shoot me a PM beerchug.gif

This sounds like a great idea. We should have quite a few 914's headed down Hwy 1 through Santa Cruz area
Borderline
I usually take 101 from my place as it is faster, but I can head over to 1 just as easy. What time are you heading to the AX. I'm taking the LPR trailer over to Marina Fri afternoon, so I feel I should be there early to help set up. Chris, you have a good time Friday night. beer3.gif beer3.gif I need every advantage I can get beer.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(smokey @ Jun 25 2007, 10:27 PM) *

Hey andy. Can i have a ride ?

i can't take you on a run as PCA rules mandate that if you have a passanger, at least one of the occupants has to be a PCA instructor.

but i can give you a ride on the backroads ...
biggrin.gif Andy
grantsfo
This is going to be a riot. At least 3 fast 914-6's and a bunch of fast stockish 914-4's. Andy's car should be TTOD car with 3.6 and race slicks. I couldnt pull together my slicks in time - will get them next week.

I'd love to see us put Logan and that supercharged Miata in 4th or 5th place. There will probably be a screaming fast Works Mini Cooper on 710's too.
EdwardBlume
I'll see if I can stop by with wifey and the kids.... I want to see if you girls have learned how to drive... av-943.gif
DanT
wanted to, but can't make it on Saturday sad.gif ....if it had been on Sunday like LPR's events usually are....I could have made it. Have fun and beat the Mazda. biggrin.gif
smokey
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif oK , i can t wait . Thanks Andy . See ya saterday. This should be a great showing of 14s.
Borderline
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jun 27 2007, 08:38 PM) *

wanted to, but can't make it on Saturday sad.gif ....if it had been on Sunday like LPR's events usually are....I could have made it. Have fun and beat the Mazda. biggrin.gif

Dan, sorry you're not going to make it. How's the new engine running?

I just put my last coat of Formula V traction treatment on my Victorocks! This is going to be fun.

Anybody drive their dot-r's on the hwy? To & from the track or AX site? I'm going to run the azenis in the morning and switch to the kumhos in the afternoon. I'm thinking about driving home on the kumhos so I don't have to changed the tires again.
grantsfo
QUOTE(Borderline @ Jun 28 2007, 04:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jun 27 2007, 08:38 PM) *

Dan, sorry you're not going to make it. How's the new engine running?

I just put my last coat of Formula V traction treatment on my Victorocks! This is going to be fun.

Anybody drive their dot-r's on the hwy? To & from the track or AX site? I'm going to run the azenis in the morning and switch to the kumhos in the afternoon. I'm thinking about driving home on the kumhos so I don't have to changed the tires again.

I drive treaded DOT's as daily commute tires on HWY 17 sometimes. laugh.gif Those Kuhmo's will be fine. When I first finished my 914 I had big bald Victo's on the back and had to drive home in the rain. 2000 lbs with slick 265/45/16's over HWY 17 with sheets of water flowing on the road were a driving expereince to be remembered.

As for Marina event I have caught a nasty head cold so if I show up it will likely be in my 4 Door Mazda Sedan as the last thing I want to do is prep my 914 and haul it down there with a head that feels like its going to explode.
Dave_Darling
Lisa and I will be on our way to San Diego for Parade... smile.gif We promise to wave as we go by!!

--DD
nine14cats
It looks doubtful that The Beast™ will make the outing. If the AX were Sunday I'd say we'd be there for sure. It looks like we will need and extra full day to complete assembly.

The car is running now and electrical is essentially completed. But the loose ends are many and the car is coming out too nice not to want to finish it the way it should be. If we have a tremendous day tomorrow day and night, maybe we make it.

At this point we will probably go to the SVR AX on July 21st to shake her down.

Bill P.
grantsfo
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Jun 29 2007, 12:33 AM) *

It looks doubtful that The Beast™ will make the outing. If the AX were Sunday I'd say we'd be there for sure. It looks like we will need and extra full day to complete assembly.

The car is running now and electrical is essentially completed. But the loose ends are many and the car is coming out too nice not to want to finish it the way it should be. If we have a tremendous day tomorrow day and night, maybe we make it.

Bill P.

There's an Infineon Track Day on July 21st with Trackmasters. Not sure if its still open? I'll be there shaking my car down for Hoopa.
SirAndy
well, i have the tank filled up and the tires loaded ...
4 racing schlicks packed in a 914 without a usable front trunk screwy.gif

got my AAA card as well,
biggrin.gif Andy
McMark
VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO! I want to see Andy's runs in particular. driving.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Jun 29 2007, 01:33 AM) *

Bill P.

Bill,

Matt promises to put together a great course. He will be there the afternoon before to set up and will probably stay in an RV on the Infinion grounds.
I actually think it is a good idea to shake the car down in an autocross setting. 60 second bursts of WOT and 4 times the turns of a track event. If it will break it will probably do it then. The only thing that doesn't apply to is the brakes. Gotta get them hot to know how they will work...
I am sorry to say though that I will miss that event too... I will be herding grad students at a week in residence in Jacksonville FL.
grantsfo
The Beast made it with very tired looking crew, Its a wicked fast Beast. It will be even faster once they get things sorted out 100%. I think it still set TTOD. Andy's car is ripping fast - who can start in second gear and burn rubber from a stop? ...Andy can! I decided to drag my car down too. Bill (Borderline) ran DOT R rubber and was setting some very respectable times in the afternoon. Chris gets the award for getting his street tires to howl around the entire course. The other two 914's had the skinest tires ever and both get the understeer award..

Overall I sure had fun - great weather and fun little course. clap56.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jun 30 2007, 04:45 PM) *

The Beast made it with very tired looking crew, Its a wicked fast Beast. It will be even faster once they get things sorted out 100%. I think it still set TTOD. Andy's car is ripping fast - who can start in second gear and burn rubber from a stop? ...Andy can! I decided to drag my car down too. Bill (Borderline) ran DOT R rubber and was setting some very respectable times in the afternoon. Chris gets the award for getting his street tires to howl around the entire course. The other two 914's had the skinest tires ever and both get the understeer award..

looks like the beast is going back into it's cage. rumor has it, it DID break. sad.gif

my car is too fast. well, for now, at least. i'm back to the drawing board (see post with same title) ...

but most importantly, i had FUN out there today. and nothing broke ...
driving.gif Andy
nine14cats
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jun 30 2007, 05:45 PM) *

Overall I sure had fun - great weather and fun little course. clap56.gif

Hi Grant,

It sure was a nice day to AX! And I was happy to see you get your car out there even though you were under the weather....maybe playing with your toys will help you feel better! w00t.gif

I don't know if The Beast™ got TTOD. If it did, it wasn't fair and square since we were always wrenching on the car fixing things and the Loma Prieta Region was gracious enough to let us run back to back runs a couple of times to get our alloted number of runs in. If we do win TTOD, we will declare we were doing "fun" runs...we were there to sort the car.

The Beast™ continues to haunt me to no end. Our crew spent the entire night working on the car and after 3 and 1/2 years I was stoked to see her run. But it wasn't to be. I didn't get to run the car due to a host of problems with it. Par for the course during this build. So I watched Randal and B drive but I didn't take a run.

We did prove that the Sheridan body work cannot take a hit by an AX cone. We split the nose piece when we were doing spinouts and cone collection manuevers. We will need to go back to Yeaman Autobody for some work. And the topper was that during one of B's runs we may have lost a rocker or encountered a mechanical failure in our motor as the engine now has a nice load metal ticking sound.

Just another day in the saga of The Beast™.... headbang.gif

Bill P.
grantsfo
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Jun 30 2007, 06:53 PM) *

Hi Grant,

It sure was a nice day to AX! And I was happy to see you get your car out there even though you were under the weather....maybe playing with your toys will help you feel better! w00t.gif

I don't know if The Beast™ got TTOD. If it did, it wasn't fair and square since we were always wrenching on the car fixing things and the Loma Prieta Region was gracious enough to let us run back to back runs a couple of times to get our alloted number of runs in. If we do win TTOD, we will declare we were doing "fun" runs...we were there to sort the car.

The Beast™ continues to haunt me to no end. Our crew spent the entire night working on the car and after 3 and 1/2 years I was stoked to see her run. But it wasn't to be. I didn't get to run the car due to a host of problems with it. Par for the course during this build. So I watched Randal and B drive but I didn't take a run.

We did prove that the Sheridan body work cannot take a hit by an AX cone. We split the nose piece when we were doing spinouts and cone collection manuevers. We will need to go back to Yeaman Autobody for some work. And the topper was that during one of B's runs we may have lost a rocker or encountered a mechanical failure in our motor as the engine now has a nice load metal ticking sound.

Just another day in the saga of The Beast™.... headbang.gif

Bill P.

Oh man! That sucks I thought you guys just had shifting problems as I heard what sounded like gears grinding. ...didnt realize you had motor problems. Hope its not bad. If it makes you feel better that car was fabulous when it was running close to 100%. It hooks up like crazy.

Its going to be a wicked fast track car once you get everything sorted. If I had budget I would love to build a car very similar to The Beast, but with a 3.6.

From my perspective you all set your times fair and square.

On a side note those guys driving that big red BMW were decent drivers and it was hilarious watching that thing.

Borderline
Wow!!! I can't believe that 4 year old Victoracers would be 2 seconds faster than my Azenis! Well I'm hooked on Dot R rubber!!! I figure that with a little care I can get these to last the rest of the season and get new stuff next year.

Those guys in the bimmer were sorting the car out for a "24 hr" race at altamont next weekend. The car can't be worth more than $500!! (by rule).

Chris really has that car moving!

Jane took a bunch of photos. I'll post some as soon as I them downloaded.

Great day! driving.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Borderline @ Jun 30 2007, 09:02 PM) *

Wow!!! I can't believe that 4 year old Victoracers would be 2 seconds faster than my Azenis! Well I'm hooked on Dot R rubber!!! I figure that with a little care I can get these to last the rest of the season and get new stuff next year.

Those guys in the bimmer were sorting the car out for a "24 hr" race at altamont next weekend. The car can't be worth more than $500!! (by rule).

Chris really has that car moving!

Jane took a bunch of photos. I'll post some as soon as I them downloaded.

Great day! driving.gif

I bet you brought them back to life with that Formula V... They were pretty freekin' hard. Another thing to think about though and I brought this up before, I used my Yoko A032R tires which were brand new and the Revolutions with those Victorocks at the same event. I was about 2 seconds faster with the wider wheels and the same size tires. I think the tires work better with the wider wheel. Just a thought...
Borderline
Some photos
Borderline
More
Borderline
Yellow car with yellow wheels...

Question: should I paint the wheels to match the yellow of the car or paint them black?

Jane took over 200 photos!!! If anyone desires more photos of their car or wants higher resolution...PM me.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Borderline @ Jun 30 2007, 10:04 PM) *

Yellow car with yellow wheels...

Question: should I paint the wheels to match the yellow of the car or paint them black?

Jane took over 200 photos!!! If anyone desires more photos of their car or wants higher resolution...PM me.

Black... Very glossy black with a Porsche negative stripe in black. Nice wheels Bill.
McMark
Here you go Bill! biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 1 2007, 12:43 AM) *

Here you go Bill! biggrin.gif

Nice. Reality is that there would be some gleaming brake rotor in there as well but it looks good. The other possibility is to match the car. Lastly, go blue and had a blue negative stripe put on the car to match the wheels.
Most excellent change though Bill...
Borderline
Thanks Mark! Looks like black it is. beerchug.gif

Rob: I really like the wheels (& tires)....almost wish I had bought the other set too! Do you know what type of paint was used on the wheels? Powder, enamel, urethane? Just trying to figure out if I can remove it easily or paint over it.

Now I gotta get the car to rotate and put some power down on corner exit. we're havin fun now! rocking nana.gif
Chris Pincetich
Marina was awesome. 13 timed runs then 6 more fun runs, and no problems at all with the 914 beerchug.gif
My last AX was 8 hrs and 4 runs sad.gif
There were 2 spots on that course that were understeer nightmares, slow and tight. I've had my rear welty sway bar off for the last 2 events, and kinda wondered how it would have helped this weekend. Almost everyone was diggin in, so I didn't feel too bad. With whatever pressure I put on myself to go fast, it was off in the fun runs, had lots of fun,and I worked on some later braking points to set-up better for those slow turns. I was able to get a nice controlled swing out of the rear to start the corner with some late/trail braking w00t.gif
I was also racing through the post-timing gate section, which was another 2 turns to swing through w00t.gif
I've definitely reached the point where I am confident enough in the car and my driving to push the friction circle through every bit of the course. My tires are screaming for mercy! The way I see it, I gotta keep this up so I can wear them down and justify buying something bigger and stickier beerchug.gif

Bill - go gloss black on those rims vs. mellow yellow beerchug.gif
Andy - can I borrow 100 HP at the next AX? You have some to spare biggrin.gif
Bill/Randal/Brad - The Beast was frickin awesome to see, many wins are in that car's future. Maybe a reliable 3.6 will be cheaper in the long run than a fussy 2.7 race motor? I just hope we don't have to wait too long to see that thing in action again. A Parade contender for sure - next year beerchug.gif
SirAndy
here's the course map ...

SirAndy
and the results (top 10 plus 914s only):

1. Bill Pickering, 914 GT (The Beast) = 34.620
2. Ken Jones, Boxster = 35.074
3. Randall Barrick, 914 GT (The Beast) = 35.256
4. Grant Keyser, 914-6 = 35.566
5. Joe Hoppa, Honda S2000 = 35.792
6. Andy Schmidt, 914 = 36.375
7. Rob Woollen, 993 T = 36.508
8. Bill Dally, Boxster S = 36.584
9. Jeff Reitmeir, BMW = 36.860
10. Roger Haskins, 911 = 36.891

12. Bill Charron, 914 = 37.351

17. Chris Pincetich, 914 = 37.708

40. Larry Chappel, 914 1.8 = 42.882
41. Brian Harney, 914 = 44.118

smilie_pokal.gif Andy

PS: i thought for sure the 993 had me. he looked so damm fast out there ...

PPS: and i also thought for sure logan with his turbo miata would be faster than me. and he didn't even make the top ten ...
grantsfo
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 15 2007, 11:00 PM) *

PPS: and i also thought for sure logan with his turbo miata would be faster than me. and he didn't even make the top ten ...

Logan was on his street tires verses your race slicks on cement. That course required some traction for fast cars to do well. If he had been on 710's like he has in the past he would have picked up another second or two. That 993 wasnt moving as fast as 914's in the corners - He just had awesome acceleration - He could pretty much just drive stupid in the corners and then mash the go pedal.

Ken Jones and Chris P get driver award in my book. Those two were moving the fastest given the cars they were driving. Chris was driving a stockish 1.7 on skinny M&S rated street tires and he wasnt that far off fast times of the day.
nine14cats
Ken and Chris were flying! It was nice seeing all the 914's out there having fun! Marina is a good venue for our cars and we should try to get a bunch of us out there again!

Bill P.
smokey
LPR/ PCA The 29th of this month . I talked to cathy calson last night. Same venue as last month. Hope to see all that were there last month. ANDY. try to show up again. rocking nana.gif mueba.gif smoke.gif
smokey
SUNDAY JULY 29th . MARIA AUTO X popcorn[1].gif smoke.gif
smokey
SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY! mueba.gif rocking nana.gif mueba.gif AUTO X MARINA LPR /PCA ANY TAKERS ? COOL ZONE RACING ? Thunderhill/ HOT//
GTeener
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Jun 29 2007, 01:33 AM) *

Bill P.

clap56.gif congrats on almost finishing! You are a very patient man...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.