Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need restoration shop in L.A. / O.C. area
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SP9146
I bought a factory 914-6 two months ago that was in storage for 12 years. It is a rust free 1 owner Calif. car and I want to restore it. Needs complete paint and some body work.

It seems fewer and fewer shops want to do restoration work these days. I managed to find two great shops but have to wait until next summer to get the car in.

Do you guys know of any top quality restoration shops in the L.A. or Orange County area that work on old Porsches?

Thanks. Pete

1970 914-6 Irish Green
McMark
Are you just looking for paint and body work, or are you looking for a full restoration? Engine rebuild? Rust repair (yes, there is rust)? Performance upgrades (shocks, springs, bars, roller bearings)? Upholstery? etc?
SP9146
Ray Stevens is my mechanic and will handle all of the mechanical work. He will pull the engine and fuel tank before it goes in for body and paint work. YeahI know we're going to find some rust but there isn't any in the usual places like under the battery.
skline
Hi ya Pete, How are you enjoying your new toy? I see you found your way here from Pelican. This board gets a lot more activity. There are a lot of very knowing people here. As for your car, I can think of a few places down here in OC that would do your car right. For paint work, you should check Santini on Westminster Blvd. He does some awesome paint work and has done several P cars in the past. Mostly show cars and stuff. There is also a shop down here in Costa Mesa off of Baker that works on nothing but P cars. There is always at least 2 or 3 914's in there. I dont remember the name of it but if you like, I will drive over there tomorrow if they are open and get the name and number for you. They build them for racing and show. Did Ray Stevens take care of you engine wise? How bad was the bill.
Rgreen914
I too would like to find a place to do some "rustoration" work on the teener, but maybe a little closer than a place "behind the Orange Curtain". Isn't Santini the guy that paints a lot of funny cars?
SP9146
Hey SK. So far I've just had Ray get it up and running and rebuild the carbs. Not as much as I would have had to pay Tony Callas and the quality of Ray's work seems just as good. I visited Quality Craft in HB today for an estimate on the paint. Nice guys and they had a 1973 911S in there undergoing similar work. Also visited Advanced Auto Refinishing in San Juan Capistrano. I really liked this shop but would have to wait until June to get the car in there.

What have you heard about Quality Craft? Yes I would be very interested in any other leads especially for shops that do it right and know 914s. Ray said he could strip it down pretty good before it goes for paint -- remove headlamps, rockers, egnine, gas tank, bumpers, etc.

The mechanical and paint work will come in about where I expected (high!) but the cost of the parts is going to be higher. I restored a Mercedes 280SL and could get just about any part on that car brand new from M/B. I got all of the parts at wholesale from Caliber Motors. On the 914 so many parts are NLA and I have yet to find anyone selling them below retail. I'll buy them all from one source if I could get a good price. Otherwise I will clean up parts that I have and maybe buy some used. Even a really simple part like the 914-4 rear valence is expensive!

So what's the deal with AA? They seem to have the best parts availability by far but I've seen negative feedback on some of the BBSs.

Appreciate any advice you could give. Many thanks.
seanery
I can't remember the name (sorry, won't help much) but when I lived in LA one of my clients had a 356 cab done by a guy in Huntington Beach that does tons of 356 stuff. I think he does other PCars as well. It was gorgeous! It took a year I think and was well worth it. I wish I could remember his name, sorry.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(SP9146 @ Dec 13 2003, 12:29 AM)
...So what's the deal with AA? They seem to have the best parts availability...

do they -actually- have parts availability, or do they just -claim- to have parts ? will they be shipped promptly, and at reasonable prices ? when the wrong parts arrive, will they refund your shipping? if no parts arrive, will you get your money back ?

these are the typical reported problem areas ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.