Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Some more help needed for new guy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Igor
Not sure if this was disscused but, does it matter what year the car is, were there any big improvments from year to year, and maybe some years had some problems that I should stay away from. This would be my first restoration, I'm just trying not to make a mistake (if that's even possible) Thanks guys aktion035.gif
Crazyhippy
Go read Pelican parts "how to buy a 914"

Lots of really good, $ saving info there.

BJH
Allan
QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Jun 26 2007, 06:09 PM) *

Go read Pelican parts "how to buy a 914"

Lots of really good, $ saving info there.

BJH

Yep,

Wanna go to Istanbul??????
Igor
thanks guys, definetly answered my questions, now I got one more. Is it possible to put a honda motor into the 914? Like a b18 or b16 or even the new rsx motors, I read that people put nissan and chevy motors, I think honda motors would be very reliable and also cheaper then most other motors. 160-200hp sounds pretty good for the 914 since they first came with 80-90hp
Crazyhippy
The honda motors (the v-6's for sure) spin the wrong way.

Subie is easy, Chevy is easy(relativly), Porsche is Easy. Everything else is breaking new ground. Even the Rotary guys (has been doneseveral times) have to re-create alot of the stuff.

BJH
Pat Garvey
I give up!

You forgot about Ferrari, Lamborghini & Skoda motors.
Crazyhippy
I suppose VW motors like the factory did are easy to do as well...

Hell Pat, I drove my car today. Had a bug commit suicide on the winshield and all.

BJH
ClayPerrine
I am trying to figure out how my 914 got an internet connection and was able to post this thread. And why he would want a Honda motor when he already has a 2.4L MFI Six.... idea.gif huh.gif

av-943.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Igor @ Jun 26 2007, 10:32 PM) *

thanks guys, definetly answered my questions, now I got one more. Is it possible to put a honda motor into the 914? Like a b18 or b16 or even the new rsx motors, I read that people put nissan and chevy motors, I think honda motors would be very reliable and also cheaper then most other motors. 160-200hp sounds pretty good for the 914 since they first came with 80-90hp

A type R B18C, 240bhp, would be bad ass. Light, powerful, reliable, economical... all wonderful. However, I have no idea if it would work, never heard of anyone doing it, have no idea if it spins the right way & the whole thing would be pure R&D. Got a Mini Me, D15B, in my 95 Civic.

cool_shades.gif
Dave_Darling
B- and D-series definitely spin the "wrong" way. The newer K-series spins the "right" way, I believe.

I'm sure it is possible. Easy? Probably not... As has been pointed out, it hasn't been done before, so you'll be breaking new ground. Which isn't cheap.

If you're looking for cheap power, check into the small-block Chevy V8 conversion, or the Scooby Turbo (WRX!) conversion. They're pretty well-known quantities by now, especially the SBC.

In the end, it usually isn't all that "cheap", even though the basic motor is.

I would suggest driving the car with the stock motor for a while. Find out what its character is like, even if you think it's underpowered. Learn to appreciate its virtues as it is... THEN you can start to really mod it! :-D

--DD
Igor
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 26 2007, 11:21 PM) *

B- and D-series definitely spin the "wrong" way. The newer K-series spins the "right" way, I believe.

I'm sure it is possible. Easy? Probably not... As has been pointed out, it hasn't been done before, so you'll be breaking new ground. Which isn't cheap.

If you're looking for cheap power, check into the small-block Chevy V8 conversion, or the Scooby Turbo (WRX!) conversion. They're pretty well-known quantities by now, especially the SBC.

In the end, it usually isn't all that "cheap", even though the basic motor is.

I would suggest driving the car with the stock motor for a while. Find out what its character is like, even if you think it's underpowered. Learn to appreciate its virtues as it is... THEN you can start to really mod it! :-D

--DD

Thanks for the input, I'm kinda surprised that no one tried the honda swap. When you guys say "the motors don't spin the right way" what do you mean? And I did see the article in excellence mag of the scooby powered 914, does seem like a good deal for the power. What about s2000 motor? does that spin the right way? And not sure if I'd be driving the car stock because first of I don't even have one, and second when I do buy one not sure if the motor will be running.
Spoke
QUOTE(Igor @ Jun 27 2007, 11:36 AM) *
When you guys say "the motors don't spin the right way" what do you mean?

If the motor spins the wrong way, you will have 1 forward gear and 5 reverse gears instead of 5 forward gears and 1 reverse gear. You'll be able to go real fast in reverse though...

As far as why no one has tried the Honda, as others have said, each motor transplant carries with it many modifications like motor mounts, electronics, and cooling which require some creativity, engineering, and extra costs above and beyond the engine. Even SBC and Sooby's require significant modifications but these are well known and documented and makes subsequent transplants easier.

If you look for a 914, try to get one with a 2.0L engine. Years 73-76 have the 2.0L engine. If you can find one with modifications like 5-lug suspension and/or SBC, Sooby, or Porsche /6 engines in your price range, then start with this.

Also remember that 914 beauty is only skin deep, rust goes to the bone. Hopefully you can get someone familiar with 914's to look at the car with you.

Spoke
Igor
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jun 27 2007, 09:00 AM) *

If the motor spins the wrong way, you will have 1 forward gear and 5 reverse gears instead of 5 forward gears and 1 reverse gear. You'll be able to go real fast in reverse though...

OK, so how do I know an engine is spinning in the direction I need?
dinomium
QUOTE(Igor @ Jun 27 2007, 09:08 AM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Jun 27 2007, 09:00 AM) *

OK, so how do I know an engine is spinning in the direction I need?

I think you would want to be asking about the trans axle instead of the powerplant in the case of Honda motors.

rhodyguy
"spin"= direction of engine rotation. if the engine rotates in the wrong direction 1st thru 5th gives you 5 speeds in reverse and one very low foward speed. your 'wish list', flares (plus wide wheels and tires), paint, big brakes and suspension ungrades, exotic engine swap,...is about 12k plus the initial car investment. not to mention time. save your nickles and purchase a car that someone else has flushed all the money into. seriously.

k
toon1
If your objective is to do a swap, do what's been done before( v-8,v-6,subie).

There is plenty of documentation that will save tons of fab work time and there is lots of people with experiance to help with troubleshooting.

Keith
Igor
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 27 2007, 10:09 AM) *

"spin"= direction of engine rotation. if the engine rotates in the wrong direction 1st thru 5th gives you 5 speeds in reverse and one very low foward speed. your 'wish list', flares (plus wide wheels and tires), paint, big brakes and suspension ungrades, exotic engine swap,...is about 12k plus the initial car investment. not to mention time. save your nickles and purchase a car that someone else has flushed all the money into. seriously.

k

You guys are probably right, thanks for the info
Igor
QUOTE(toon1 @ Jun 27 2007, 10:25 AM) *

There is plenty of documentation that will save tons of fab work time and there is lots of people with experiance to help with troubleshooting.

Keith

You know I'm really thinkin about that subaru swap, if I was to buy the engine, what exactly has to be modified in the car or the engine to make it work?
type47
QUOTE(Igor @ Jun 27 2007, 11:25 PM) *

Keith

You know I'm really thinkin about that subaru swap, if I was to buy the engine, what exactly has to be modified in the car or the engine to make it work?

this is not "exactly" the complete answer, but the subaru engine is water cooled so you have to solve the cooling problem: where to mount the radiator, run cooling hoses to the motor, make sure the cooling system works. you have to solve the engine to transmission connection problem: there may not be many/any options to the transmission, you could be forced to use a 914 tranny, so you have to adapt the engine to trans mating. since suby engines have been put into 914's, there probably is already available an adapter. you have to solve the engine mounting problem: again, probably available. you have to solve the electrical problem: what needs to be run on the relay board and how to supply electrical power to the engine. could be as simple as supplying 12V to the engine. suby ECU runs the engine. how about the exhaust system? how about getting heat to the cabin from a water cooled system? how about interfacing gauges with the engine management system?
jonferns
check out the 914's on ebay...there was just a v-8 one for sale with a BIN of 7k, and thats the way it sold...a few weeks ago there was a subie powered one that also sold the same day it was listed...keep your eye on ebay, you can get some good deals (and then, some NOT so great deals biggrin.gif ) --JON
jonferns
and also, if you plan to buy a car online....MAKE SURE that you ask the buyer for specific photos (to look for rust, etc)...and plan on paying good $$$ for shipping...I wound up paying a little over 1k to ship from CA - NJ.....have fun --JON
toon1
QUOTE(type47 @ Jun 28 2007, 06:03 AM) *

QUOTE(Igor @ Jun 27 2007, 11:25 PM) *

Keith

this is not "exactly" the complete answer, but the subaru engine is water cooled so you have to solve the cooling problem: where to mount the radiator, run cooling hoses to the motor, make sure the cooling system works. you have to solve the engine to transmission connection problem: there may not be many/any options to the transmission, you could be forced to use a 914 tranny, so you have to adapt the engine to trans mating. since suby engines have been put into 914's, there probably is already available an adapter. you have to solve the engine mounting problem: again, probably available. you have to solve the electrical problem: what needs to be run on the relay board and how to supply electrical power to the engine. could be as simple as supplying 12V to the engine. suby ECU runs the engine. how about the exhaust system? how about getting heat to the cabin from a water cooled system? how about interfacing gauges with the engine management system?

All the points you have made is "EXACTLY" what my point was. All those issues have been addresed and solved and there is lots of documentation. Subie tranny's are being used AND the issue of mating the drive lines to the wheels have been done.

Igore, The Subie swap, in my opinion is the most viable option for these cars and is becoming very popular. The Subie motor is the watercooled cousin of the TIV.

Do a search, you will find lot's of info on it.

My .02c, Keith
Igor
Thanks guys for the info, I'm really interested in the scooby engine, I guess I will keep researching and see what comes up. Thanks again aktion035.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jun 28 2007, 07:52 AM) *

and also, if you plan to buy a car online....MAKE SURE that you ask the buyer for specific photos (to look for rust, etc)...and plan on paying good $$$ for shipping...I wound up paying a little over 1k to ship from CA - NJ.....have fun --JON

Wow, that's a good price. It cost me 1800 from New Jersey to Seattle. Well worth it though. I love my car. rocking nana.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.