Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This year's Parade Concours in San Diego
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2
Pat Garvey
For those unaware, one of our regulars to THIS forum, JafSmith, is on his way to San Diego for the Parade Concours. He lives in Maine! He DRIVES to the event, like a modern day Mike Robbins! James did this last year, and won. I expect he'll win again this year. Must love 3500 mile drives for a concours!

I'd like to wish him good luck AND good health! Last year, he almost didn't make it back because of a very severe illness!

I can't imagine trying to clean up a car to even be presentable after 3500 open road miles!

BTW, his 914 is a Euro six, from Switzerland. It is so nice. He also has a four, with (as I recall) uner 20k miles on it, but it's been garaged for a number of years.

Anyway, wish him good luck & good health. Six months ago he couldn't even crawl under the car. Shows what a targeted plan can do for you.
Pat
Jasfsmith
MADE IT!!

Arrived Thursday afternoon after crossing the desert in the 95+ heat. Car took a beating this year while in route to the Parade. Tar, gravel, sand AND the HEAT.

I'm currently in the throws of prepping the car for Mondays Concours. If there's anyone in the area that would like to assist or provide moral support or just give me a reason to take a break, swing by. I'm located in the underground parking area under the convention center were the prep area has AIR CONDITIONING!

Damn nice of them....

Give me a jingle at 207-949-1120.

James Smith
Johny Blackstain
Madness! Best of luck thumb3d.gif !

cool_shades.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
Sure hope you cop the distance award clap56.gif

Best of luck on our mutual "field of dreams", keep us updated, and take heart, next years Parade will be wa-a-a-y closer for you.
TJB/914
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jun 30 2007, 01:34 PM) *

MADE IT!!

Arrived Thursday afternoon after crossing the desert in the 95+ heat. Car took a beating this year while in route to the Parade. Tar, gravel, sand AND the HEAT.

I'm currently in the throws of prepping the car for Mondays Concours. If there's anyone in the area that would like to assist or provide moral support or just give me a reason to take a break, swing by. I'm located in the underground parking area under the convention center were the prep area has AIR CONDITIONING!

Damn nice of them....

Give me a jingle at 207-949-1120.

James Smith

The best to you @ Parade. Driving cross country & wining is something to be proud of. I think this photo is your car?? I've been trying to duplicate the placement of your rear fog lamp accessory. Your 914-6 is beautiful if this is yours.

Tom
Johny Blackstain
That is a pretty car w/ awesome wheels. Did all the sixs' come w/ sail vinyl in 1970?

cool_shades.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 30 2007, 05:28 PM) *

That is a pretty car w/ awesome wheels. Did all the sixs' come w/ sail vinyl in 1970?

cool_shades.gif

Yeah, to my knowledge, all US sixes had it. But James' six is a Swiss six. I can just imagine the questions from the judges! He's prepared, with full doc's.

Don't relish going against him next year in Charlotte! For that matter, don'r relish goin against several others from this forum next year! But, nothing won easily is worth anything, and the ability to FINALLY meet some of you is worth everything. Quite frankly, who cares who wins!
Pat
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jun 30 2007, 07:21 PM) *

The best to you @ Parade. Driving cross country & wining is something to be proud of. I think this photo is your car?? I've been trying to duplicate the placement of your rear fog lamp accessory. Your 914-6 is beautiful if this is yours.

Tom

Yes. Though I think it arrived at the Portland Parade in better condition than to San Diego. The HEAT across the desert was a bear. Seat bolster on the driver's developed a small split. I'm convinced it was the heat and not the dragging of my butt in and out of the car.

Also the elongated shift housing at the firewall melted. An engine oil line is about 1/2" away. Guess when the temperature needle hit the first of the red marks it was hot enough to do the damage. Really melted the top edge. Didn't damage the rubber boot though.
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 30 2007, 07:28 PM) *

cool_shades.gif

I belive all sixes US and Euro spec had the sails, except perhaps the GT's. I haven't seen any mention to the contrary.
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 30 2007, 10:21 PM) *

Yeah, to my knowledge, all US sixes had it. But James' six is a Swiss six. I can just imagine the questions from the judges! He's prepared, with full doc's.

Don't relish going against him next year in Charlotte! For that matter, don'r relish goin against several others from this forum next year! But, nothing won easily is worth anything, and the ability to FINALLY meet some of you is worth everything. Quite frankly, who cares who wins!
Pat

After last year's judging, I've generated a sheet of what I've discovered as differences (few) and backed them up with at least two sources to confirm them (German factory manuals were of little use). Should be interesting when I hand them to the head judge before they begin picking apart the car (which) they can readily do in any event).

My main mission (as it weas last year) is not to look foolish. As I stated many times last year (and continue too this year) my car is a 5 footer. It shouldn't be judged any closer than five feet!

BTW, this year will be interesting as I understand the Preservation class judging will be far stricter on originality than preparation. A fair bit different than last year, from my observation. I suspect the winner will be one that has been babyied a bit more than my car.

I've got one more day of prep, and haven't begun cleaning the engine or underside. I may decide not to do the underside as I've already pulled one front hub to check a bearing race (developed a shimy turn the final couple of days driving). Turned out to be nothing more than being loose. Too me quite a bit of time with my physical condition. Did most of it on my back. I found it very easy to get into the reclined position, but a bear to get up. It was VERY tempting to take nap on the concrete cooled by the underground garage's air conditioning!

Did you get that Pat? Preparation in an air conditioned room. Damn, it makes me think my next investment will be A/C in the garage at home... try it, you'll like it <grin>

Johny Blackstain

Pat

What on earth makes you think I'm relishing going up against anyone biggrin.gif ? I'd rather be resto-modding the six over what I have to do to the LE. I have undercoating & dirt everywhere. All my bushings are 33 years old & should be changed while I have stuff apart. There's undercoating on my starter & my tranny. My brakes look 400 yrs old. Piss, moan whine, complain, etc... If I get any kind of honorable mention I'll be happy. But remember what you said Pat- "go in w/ an attitude to win" so Concours Wars it is Darth Garvey av-943.gif !

cool_shades.gif

BTW- note dealer overspray of undercoating & factory overspray of orange phoenix red. This is the back of my un-molested spare.
Jasfsmith
I need to add a thanks to Don Traver from San Deigo (a fellow www.914world.com member).

Tech inspection picked up a burnt brake light, couldn't get inspection for Tuesday's Rally without it being fixed.

One call to Don, and he provided a replacement, within 30 minutes to boot. He even provided some needed "rags" that looked like they just came off his back! <grin>
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 1 2007, 12:10 AM) *

What on earth makes you think I'm relishing going up against anyone biggrin.gif ? I'd rather be resto-modding the six over what I have to do to the LE. I have undercoating & dirt everywhere. All my bushings are 33 years old & should be changed while I have stuff apart. There's undercoating on my starter & my tranny. My brakes look 400 yrs old. Piss, moan whine, complain, etc... If I get any kind of honorable mention I'll be happy. But remember what you said Pat- "go in w/ an attitude to win" so Concours Wars it is Darth Garvey av-943.gif !

cool_shades.gif

BTW- note dealer overspray of undercoating & factory overspray of orange phoenix red. This is the back of my un-molested spare.

Purrfect. Other than the spare wheel over spray, you describe my underside (the car, the car) as it is. Restoration Touring is for you....
Jasfsmith
Early concour prep photo. Me doing my thing from the correct position....
orthobiz
Concours TOMORROW, right???????

I'm dying to see some more pics!
Those Mahles are my absolute favorite wheels of all for the 914, so you've just GOT to win!

Best of Luck,

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jun 30 2007, 10:06 PM) *

Pat

After last year's judging, I've generated a sheet of what I've discovered as differences (few) and backed them up with at least two sources to confirm them (German factory manuals were of little use). Should be interesting when I hand them to the head judge before they begin picking apart the car (which) they can readily do in any event).

My main mission (as it weas last year) is not to look foolish. As I stated many times last year (and continue too this year) my car is a 5 footer. It shouldn't be judged any closer than five feet!

BTW, this year will be interesting as I understand the Preservation class judging will be far stricter on originality than preparation. A fair bit different than last year, from my observation. I suspect the winner will be one that has been babyied a bit more than my car.

I've got one more day of prep, and haven't begun cleaning the engine or underside. I may decide not to do the underside as I've already pulled one front hub to check a bearing race (developed a shimy turn the final couple of days driving). Turned out to be nothing more than being loose. Too me quite a bit of time with my physical condition. Did most of it on my back. I found it very easy to get into the reclined position, but a bear to get up. It was VERY tempting to take nap on the concrete cooled by the underground garage's air conditioning!

Did you get that Pat? Preparation in an air conditioned room. Damn, it makes me think my next investment will be A/C in the garage at home... try it, you'll like it <grin>

Hmmm! You HAVE a point! Wouldn't even cost that much, since you'd only use when you need it (like NOW) & would make getting more things accomplished easier for us "raisins".

Good luck tomorrow! Your six is gorgeous in the pics - can't believe you logged 3k miles, through the desert, and it looks that good. You are old-school James & I love it!!!!!!
Pat
xsurfer
Best of luck tomorrow! I'm too far away to help (Pasadena).

I'm wondering how hot your temp gauge showed on the way out.

I bought a original six from 2nd owner with 85K miles on last Sept.. Got in and drove home. The temp did get very close to the red about three times.

Win!

Gene
orthobiz
So...James, did you win????????

I went to PCA.org and all they seem to have is a collection of pics, you can only see one pic at a time. They had a video I didn't download...

I didn't see a results page..

Paul
TJB/914
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jul 2 2007, 03:39 PM) *

I went to PCA.org and all they seem to have is a collection of pics, you can only see one pic at a time. They had a video I didn't download...

Paul

agree.gif I want to know before I leave late tonight on my one week vacation. Be back the week of July 9th. & can't wait that long.

Tom
orthobiz
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jul 2 2007, 07:44 PM) *

agree.gif I want to know before I leave late tonight on my one week vacation. Be back the week of July 9th. & can't wait that long.

Tom

It's WORSE for me! I'm holding my breath!

Paul
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jul 2 2007, 07:39 PM) *

Paul

Class and Division win. I haven't hear the group (Preservation) results.

Kind of a hollow victory though. Only competition I had was I, Me and Myself. "I" won. The other two blokes should have prepped more.

More gradifying than the win, was the number of people who dropped by to comment on the car and/or take pictures.

Total tally for the 914's, were 1 each in the Restoration and Preservation classes, 2 in the Performace, 3 GT's in the historical display, and at least 6 in the Paddock (though may have been more that showed and left.

I post a bunch of pictures as soon as I can.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Congratulations thumb3d.gif

Next year in Charlotte, Pat will be looking to break your streak. The drive to NC will be a picnic for you compared to the last two years' drive.

Once again, kudos on your victory and your cross-country odyssey.

Paul
Johny Blackstain
clap56.gif thumb3d.gif smilie_pokal.gif

cool_shades.gif

PS- thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif laugh.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jul 3 2007, 06:24 PM) *
Class and Division win.

clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif

I absolutely love those Mahles wub.gif

can't wait to see some photos from the event drooley.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
1970 Neun vierzehn
Guys,
Go to pcasdr.org/parade. Lots of Parade pics, but not as much 914 content as we'd like.
orthobiz
CONGRATS! Can hardly wait for pics.

biz
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jul 3 2007, 04:40 PM) *

CONGRATS! Can hardly wait for pics.

biz

I've finally had a chance to resize several Concours and Paddock 914 related photoes of this year's 2007 PCA Parade.

He's my 914-6 before, during and after judging. Note that the Preservation class was backed up against a fence with a golf course green immediately behind. Kind of made a few of nervous knowing how bad a golf game we have played in the past...

Click to view attachment

Judgement time...

Click to view attachment
Jasfsmith
More 2007 PCA Parade Concours/Paddock photos...

After the dust settled....

Click to view attachment

Preservation Division winners before second judging for Preservation Group winner....

Click to view attachment

Jasfsmith

Lone Restoration class 914 entrant....

Click to view attachment

Jasfsmith

Performance class 914's....

Click to view attachment

Jasfsmith

Click to view attachment

Johny Blackstain
I'm impressed & also confused... preservation class, restoration class... just how many classes can you enter a 914 in? Awesome shots & I'd be worried about golf balls as well!

cool_shades.gif
Jasfsmith

Click to view attachment

Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 4 2007, 05:27 PM) *

I'm impressed & also confused... preservation class, restoration class... just how many classes can you enter a 914 in? Awesome shots & I'd be worried about golf balls as well!

cool_shades.gif

Performance (track/autox and I surpose modified's, prepared without the worry of "originality").

Restoration (bringing the car back to original condition, both "Full" and "Touring" where the whole car is judged in "Full" and the "Touring" class gets judged the same without the chassis).

Preservation (maintaining the car in as original condition as possible).
Jasfsmith

Historical displayed 914''s....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Jasfsmith

Click to view attachment
Jasfsmith

Click to view attachment

Jasfsmith

914's in the Paddock....

Click to view attachment

Jasfsmith

914's in the Paddock....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Jasfsmith

914's in the Paddock....

Click to view attachment
Johny Blackstain
Wow boldblue.gif ! Wow drooley.gif ! Wow clap56.gif ! Especially that yellow GT's front trunk w/ tank & stressbar... is that stock? Wow thumb3d.gif !

Now I have to figure out what class I can enter into next year- pres or resto?

cool_shades.gif
Jasfsmith

914's in the Paddock....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Jasfsmith

914's in the Paddock....

Click to view attachment

Jasfsmith

914's in the Paddock....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 4 2007, 05:49 PM) *

Wow boldblue.gif ! Wow drooley.gif ! Wow clap56.gif ! Especially that yellow GT's front trunk w/ tank & stressbar... is that stock? Wow thumb3d.gif !

Now I have to figure out what class I can enter into next year- pres or resto?

cool_shades.gif

Restoration juding is straight by points for restoration condition and preparation, where if items are restored it will be to your advantage (as best I could figure). The opposite is true in Preservation. The more you "restore" in Preservation the more "demerits" you receive. You build points in Restoration to build a score, you begin with a perfect car in Preservation and lose points (garner demerits) based on originality.

Restoration has both the Full and Touring classes. Don't want to be judged on your underside? Touring is for you. I suspect you'd get farther in Restoration with personal modifications that in Preservation, AND you'd not have to contend with Pat Garvey, and the other CW's' with more Q-Tips than brains... <grin>
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jul 4 2007, 06:05 PM) *

Restoration juding is straight by points for restoration condition and preparation, where if items are restored it will be to your advantage (as best I could figure). The opposite is true in Preservation. The more you "restore" in Preservation the more "demerits" you receive. You build points in Restoration to build a score, you begin with a perfect car in Preservation and lose points (garner demerits) based on originality.

Restoration has both the Full and Touring classes. Don't want to be judged on your underside? Touring is for you. I suspect you'd get farther in Restoration with personal modifications that in Preservation, AND you'd not have to contend with Pat Garvey, and the other CW's' with more Q-Tips than brains... <grin>

I'm definitely a border baby- not quite a resto & not exactly pure preserves. If I enter resto w/ my underside clean I would think I would crush because I'm almost all original to begin with. I don't know if I can do preserves w/ SS heat exchangers, powder coated heating ducts, Bosch Blue, Optima, fat 195/65/15s & an exterior repaint?

cool_shades.gif
Eric_Shea
The yellow GT is Tony Samojen's. He owns #11 now (the most recent caliper rebuild). The yellow car has our calipers on it as well.

Congratulations!! smilie_pokal.gif
orthobiz
Did I only see one 4-lug 914? Were they 90 percent sixes?

Congrats again, by the way.

Paul
Pat Garvey
James,

We're waiting! How'd it go?
Pat
orthobiz
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 4 2007, 10:05 PM) *

James,

We're waiting! How'd it go?
Pat

QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jul 3 2007, 01:24 PM) *

Class and Division win. I haven't hear the group (Preservation) results.

Kind of a hollow victory though. Only competition I had was I, Me and Myself. "I" won. The other two blokes should have prepped more.

More gradifying than the win, was the number of people who dropped by to comment on the car and/or take pictures.

Total tally for the 914's, were 1 each in the Restoration and Preservation classes, 2 in the Performace, 3 GT's in the historical display, and at least 6 in the Paddock (though may have been more that showed and left.

I post a bunch of pictures as soon as I can.

Pay attention, Pat!

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.