Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch Tube on Wrong Side of Tunnel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AvalonFal
Instead of repairing a broken clutch tube weld, PO relocated the tube to the passenger side of the center tunnel. He tapped a long screw at an angle into the tunnel to the bottom to hold the tube tightly in place. Car runs fine with no obvious clutch problems, but my concern is the different angle from the tube that the clutch cable now makes to the pedal attachment. I'm thinking there's got to be more strain on the cable with this setup and I noticed about 1/3 of the clevis pin was worn down. Anyone else see a problem with this setup??
burton73
The PO did rework on the tube on my 6 the end was there was a u- bold going through the floor, a D -washer on the end in the engine compartment. In the end the D washer ripped through the firewall the center mounting point broke and all that was holding the tube in the car was the U bolt. I put a new pan and fixed it all. At this point you need to keep an eye on the firewall and look at the old postings on fixing a clutch tube. It may work fine for some time. There is a lot of pressure from pushing down the clutch. Enough to rip up a lot of cars.

I am happy with my job, it should never break because we made much bigger thicker brackets. They just did not know the test of time on the 914. The cost of changing a full pan is very high when the restoration shop is doing it. $$$$$

Bob
burton73
The drill bit was for a heat sink so the welding material would not go into the tube. It worked great.

Bob
barefoot
QUOTE(AvalonFal @ Jun 27 2007, 12:52 AM) *

Instead of repairing a broken clutch tube weld, PO relocated the tube to the passenger side of the center tunnel. He tapped a long screw at an angle into the tunnel to the bottom to hold the tube tightly in place. Car runs fine with no obvious clutch problems, but my concern is the different angle from the tube that the clutch cable now makes to the pedal attachment. I'm thinking there's got to be more strain on the cable with this setup and I noticed about 1/3 of the clevis pin was worn down. Anyone else see a problem with this setup??

Just got into my clutch cable tube snake pit, the firewall was torn open and a fairly large chunk was still attached to the tube, so a little welding with Oxy/ acetylene tacked it back into place. the tube was completely loose as I was able to extend it several inches beyond the firewall. Then pulled the shift linkage off and here's what I found.
Shifter has gouged a good groove into the clutch tube. Next job is to properly secure the forward end of the clutch tube on the drivers side. sawzall-smiley.gif
I had not yet run the car so don't know if shifting would be compromised. There were no bushings in any of the shift linkages, so I'm sure shifting was very vague at best.
Click to view attachment
barefoot
QUOTE(barefoot @ Sep 11 2013, 06:20 PM) *

QUOTE(AvalonFal @ Jun 27 2007, 12:52 AM) *

Just got into my clutch cable tube snake pit, the firewall was torn open and a fairly large chunk was still attached to the tube, so a little welding with Oxy/ acetylene tacked it back into place. the tube was completely loose as I was able to extend it several inches beyond the firewall. Then pulled the shift linkage off and here's what I found.
Shifter has gouged a good groove into the clutch tube. Next job is to properly secure the forward end of the clutch tube on the drivers side. sawzall-smiley.gif
I had not yet run the car so don't know if shifting would be compromised. There were no bushings in any of the shift linkages, so I'm sure shifting was very vague at best.

Click to view attachment

My custom tube clamp. 3/8 extension was perfect size to form clamp.
Bolted the clutch tube back in correct position with 1/4 bolt. Clamp is between swaged end and broken OEM bracket.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.