Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel door on front trunk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
I've seen a few pictures of them on here and I am thinking of doing the same to my project car.
Anyone have some pictures?
Thanks
SirAndy
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Jun 27 2007, 07:16 PM) *

Anyone have some pictures?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
iamchappy
I know I have more shots of this, I have some with my black hood showing it open and the backside I will dig into it further. this is what i have to show you now..
burton73
My car has a fuel filler in the cowl. This is the word on how it was done by the builder of it in the late 70s. The PO opened the hood with the door open and bent it. The restoration shop says it will be perfect when done. The cap is getting re-plated and the black box will be getting powder painted. Down where you can not see is some fancy welding. You see the two buttons on the top. You push one button and that button goes down and the other button goes up, then the door opens like it would on an aircraft. Just turn the gas cap and pump the gar in. I will put a rubber cover like I have on my Carrera so the new paint does not get messed up.

Bob Burton

12/22/06 THIS WAS IN THE EBAY AD ON MY CAR

I have had many questions about the fuel filler area. Petr Dawe of Dawe's Motor sports helped build this car at Dick Troutmans's in the late 70s. I asked Petr how this was done, below is his answer.
Hi Lloyd From what i can remember the hinge and the flush mount latch was aircraft surplus. I believe all those parts are offered thru Aircraft Spruce Co. Peter welded a shaped piece of steel under the body cowl for the gas door to sit on . He also welded a fill pipe on to the gas tank. (Only for pros to weld) Then because of the pipe bends he had to put a vent from the original fill to the neck so the tank could be filled up to the top. All this was 20 years ago but I think thats about it. But you have to be as talented as Peter to do it right. Thats the TRICK. Thanks and happy holidays Petr Dawe

Thans, Petr for the great info.
Click to view attachment
burton73
one more
Lou W
Here's a couple of pictures of Dan Callicott's car with the fuel access in the hood;

dflesburg
Click to view attachmentHere is mine, wait, where did the door go?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
A little known fact is that there is actually a relieved place in the hood interstructure where the factory had planned to put the fuel door! Look at your own 914 and see!
nomore9one4
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 28 2007, 01:03 PM) *

A little known fact is that there is actually a relieved place in the hood interstructure where the factory had planned to put the fuel door! Look at your own 914 and see!

Good info Dr.! beerchug.gif
tracks914
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Jun 27 2007, 07:34 PM) *

I know I have more shots of this, I have some with my black hood showing it open and the backside I will dig into it further. this is what i have to show you now..

Do you have a picture with the door open?
Where did you find this fuel door?
Tx
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.