Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need some help! 930 tranny advice needed.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
army dude
UUuuuhhhhhh............

OH GREAT KNOWLEDGEABLE GURUS AT THIS SITE pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif

I am in the middle of having a 930 trany built and I am having a few different "problems" coming up with specifications for the build. The company wants to know what flanges I want to use....any idea what would be best?? And....if I go with a hydraulic clutch will I have to use an aftermarket pedal assembly? blink.gif

Any other ideas on this build I would greatly appreciate. wavey.gif

Ian
pffft
QUOTE(army dude @ Jun 28 2007, 02:40 PM) *

UUuuuhhhhhh............

OH GREAT KNOWLEDGEABLE GURUS AT THIS SITE pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif

I am in the middle of having a 930 trany built and I am having a few different "problems" coming up with specifications for the build. The company wants to know what flanges I want to use....any idea what would be best?? And....if I go with a hydraulic clutch will I have to use an aftermarket pedal assembly? blink.gif

Any other ideas on this build I would greatly appreciate. wavey.gif

Ian

Mine is 930 flanges, 930 inner cv's, 911 axle, 911 cv, 911 stub axles 911 hubs.
You'll need a flywheel, starter ring, 930 throwout bearing, some sort of shift
linkage, and yes, if you go hyd clutch you will need a clutch pedal with a slave
cylinder. And some sort of tranny mount.
Are you flipping the pinion or the whole tranny? Not sure if you flip the whole thing
but if you flip the pinion you need to have the speedo sendor moved to the other
side of the box. And you'll need an electric speedo from a 77(I think) or later car

patrick
army dude
Yes the r&p are being flipped, an lsd added, new bearings, synchros yada yada yada. The speedo sensor is being machined for the other side. I was planning on using an Accell dizzy and Auto meter guages for the speedo and tach.

The hyd clutch willl probably use a Willwood pedal setup.

I will also have a cooler for the trans.

I plan on a KEP stage 2 clutch setup as well.

They also offer a cable shifter that I will go with.

I hope all this makes sense. My head is still spinning with all of it.

Ian
army dude
Oh yea, silly me, what and how does the tranny get mounted to the dogbone?? Other than the coat hanger I was gonna use.

No really, I haven't even thought about this. I.... think.... I.... should.... have.... thought.... about.... it.... sooner.
Crazyhippy
Renegade has Pre-Fabbed solutions to your problems... Including ways to use the factory clutch set-up as opposed to doing the fab work to put wilwood pedals in. Nothing wrong w/ the cable setup if it's working right.

BJH
byndbad914
QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Jun 28 2007, 05:50 PM) *

Renegade has Pre-Fabbed solutions to your problems... Including ways to use the factory clutch set-up as opposed to doing the fab work to put wilwood pedals in. Nothing wrong w/ the cable setup if it's working right.

BJH

agree.gif regarding the prefabbed brackets and cable shifter stuff - Renegade has pre-fabbed stuff. Not cheap tho' so I made my own biggrin.gif

As far as using a stock cable setup with a Stg II Kennedy clutch, that won't last very long. The cables just can't handle the load of depressing that clutch setup. It is quite brutal actually. I dunno what your HP/torque looks like, but did you talk to Kennedy about your combo? You may not need to go to stage II. I was making 438 ft-lbs with my 353 and they recommended stg II, but your typical 350 street engine won't.

I have a Tilton floor mount triple pedal assembly. If you use the really short masters you can simply make a flat plate for the pedal box area, weld into place and mount that assembly to it - if you are not too tall (I am 5'10") you can put the seat back a bit and the pedals will mount inside and the masters will just hit the firewall but you will have room - no cutting. Otherwise you could cut relief in that area and just be careful you don't hit the rack.

It isn't a slam dunk as you will need a custom throttle cable and so forth, but those are a piece-o-cake to have made and routing is up to you. I like my Tilton setup.
army dude
My engine going in will be around 540 horse and 480 torque.

The company that is making the tranny also does the cable making. I understand that this is going to be a bit of work and look forward to it but I also want to do it ONCE and do it RIGHT.

I will look at the Tilton brand and see what they have.

What is the website for Kennedy ?

Ian
neo914-6
QUOTE(army dude @ Jun 29 2007, 02:46 PM) *

My engine going in will be around 540 horse and 480 torque.

The company that is making the tranny also does the cable making. I understand that this is going to be a bit of work and look forward to it but I also want to do it ONCE and do it RIGHT.

I will look at the Tilton brand and see what they have.

What is the website for Kennedy ?

Ian

Ian,

Who is "the company" if you don't mind sharing. Bobby Hart used to do most of the 930 conversions.

Search "hydraulic clutch" on this site. You can adapt 914/964, use H&H kit, or aftermarket.

Glad to know you're back in the USA. clap56.gif
army dude
The company is GBOX out of Boulder Colorado. Pretty new company and very knowledgeable people and was recommended by someone who has a gearbox from them already.

I have heard of Bobby Hart before but forgot about him. I did ask awhile ago for input but that was when I was in Iraq and have since forgotten alot and can't find the notes I had.

I will do the search Felix, thanx!

Anybody got anymore ideas?

Ian
army dude
Hey Aaron Cox, Wbergtho, Ron S., Dr Roger, Andyrew, Airsix, Skline and the rest of all the 930 techy gurus-----What chyall think??

All this help now will keep me from posting THOUSANDS of stupid questions later. Well, maybe not, but I know you guys have been working with this stuff in the past.

I have done some searching and will keep looking to the past topics for help.

Ian
drive-ability
QUOTE(army dude @ Jun 30 2007, 04:32 PM) *

Hey Aaron Cox, Wbergtho, Ron S., Dr Roger, Andyrew, Airsix, Skline and the rest of all the 930 techy gurus-----What chyall think??

All this help now will keep me from posting THOUSANDS of stupid questions later. Well, maybe not, but I know you guys have been working with this stuff in the past.

I have done some searching and will keep looking to the past topics for help.

Ian

Hey,
I am using a hydraulic clutch system as I stated before its a tricky job setting it up. Seeing you are using a stage 2 which puts you around 4,000 pounds thats allot.
The trick is to make sure and I can't stress this enough, to set up your system to move the T/O bearing only 1/4 inch or so. Too tight and you will eat the thrust bearings to far and you will do the same or more. I damaged two crankshaft thrust bearings nailing it down with a softer P/P, so its going to be a delicate job. Hydraulically you will need to stay about 1 to 1 so if you use a pull type thats 15/16 bore, but most are using a smaller master maybe a 3/4 or less. I think one to one may be just too hard to depress. If I were to do it again I would go with what Scott at Renegade used which is a cable, I think he ran a big P/P like you and said it worked well. If you want hydraulic I might look into an internal push type combo slave/Throw out system. I know allot of this is general stuff and I am sure there is someone who can add much more.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.