Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: l@@king for 1 god 96mm keith black piston, does anyone know
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orange914
l@@king for 1 god 96mm keith black piston 9.0:1 2.0, does anyone know if there are markings on them to tell comp. & oversize? i'm looking to buy a set but need one piston. i havent found supplier to buy one yet. anybody know of source?
mike beerchug.gif
ptravnic
I'm not sure why you are referring to a comp ration of "9.0:1" because compression ratio is not determined by the size of the piston alone. Compression ratio has to do with deck height, head cc, bore size, etc.

I found the following website helpful: http://www.csgnetwork.com/compcalc.html

Also, I believe Jake's store (type4store.com) may sell individual pistons. You will need to consider which cylinders you are using as well, and a set of rings will be needed (if a new set doesn't come w/the 3 good pistons). What seems like a deal on the 3 pistons may end up costing more than you'd think after piecing together the rest...

I've been through this a few times - both the hard way and easy way (see my avatar). But I'm certainly no expert.

-pt
sublimate
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Jun 28 2007, 11:33 PM) *

I'm not sure why you are referring to a comp ration of "9.0:1" because compression ratio is not determined by the size of the piston alone. Compression ratio has to do with deck height, head cc, bore size, etc.

A 9.0:1 piston would be one which gives you a 9.0:1 compression ratio with a standard head.
SirAndy
mike, forget about the compression ratio. the old heads were heavily modified.

the pistons are flat top. i just sent you an PM with the markings ...
bye1.gif Andy
ptravnic
QUOTE(sublimate @ Jun 29 2007, 12:40 AM) *

A 9.0:1 piston would be one which gives you a 9.0:1 compression ratio with a standard head.

Which standard head, 1.7L, 1.8L, 1.8L AMC, 2.0L? Either I have spent a lot of unnecessary time with my micrometer & laptop calculating CR or there's some misinformation going on here.

I'm pretty sure Mike is looking for the standard KB 96mm piston BUT he's going to be very disappointed (or just not know the difference as ignorance is bliss) that by just replacing his current p/c combo with the KB 96mm does not necessarily give him a 9:1 CR. CR is a bit more complex than that - by no means is it witchcraft or voodoo but there's a couple other variables involved.

I'm just trying to save someone some time/effort/$... I learned the hard way that not everyone on this board knows what he is talking about. CR cannot be spoken of in vague or "standard" terms b/c as Andy states - most heads have been modified or rebuilt at least once by now and "standard" is a unicorn.

-pt
orange914
ptravnic:
thanks i'll research the site
unfortunately jake only sells sets
your possibly right i may buy a set by the time i've got one and rings
i dont want to be your avtar thumb3d.gif

sublimate:
yes i kindof was under the impression there was only one flat top ratio thumb3d.gif

SirAndy:
thanks, i will still check k.b. but may just be spinning our wheels. i'll post the markings below if anyone can translate "keith black" thumb3d.gif

the pistons have a whole bunch of markings:

inside: the number "63"
inside: "SJ" or "ST" (can't really tell)
outside: (SL)
outside: "02"
outside: "KB"
outside: "2323"
ptravnic
Mike - sending you a PM.

-pt
orange914
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Jun 28 2007, 09:59 PM) *

QUOTE(sublimate @ Jun 29 2007, 12:40 AM) *

Which standard head, 1.7L, 1.8L, 1.8L AMC, 2.0L? Either I have spent a lot of unnecessary time with my micrometer & laptop calculating CR or there's some misinformation going on here.

I'm pretty sure Mike is looking for the standard KB 96mm piston BUT he's going to be very disappointed (or just not know the difference as ignorance is bliss) that by just replacing his current p/c combo with the KB 96mm does not necessarily give him a 9:1 CR. CR is a bit more complex than that - by no means is it witchcraft or voodoo but there's a couple other variables involved.

I'm just trying to save someone some time/effort/$... I learned the hard way that not everyone on this board knows what he is talking about. CR cannot be spoken of in vague or "standard" terms b/c as Andy states - most heads have been modified or rebuilt at least once by now and "standard" is a unicorn.

-pt

i'm getting a rebuilt modified set of 039 2.0 heads from jake raby to go with a 2.0 bottom end and want to run 96mm flat tops and cam (2056) icon13.gif . i didnt think to ask about heads "shaved or not" but i dont think so as jake probably would have mentioned it as we talked about the engine needs. i'll check with him.
SirAndy
to clear up some of the confusion, i got 4 good 96mm cylinders and 3 (three) good 96mm KB pistons.

pistons and cylinders used to run together, so i know for a fact those 3 will fit the cylinders.

all mike needs is a 4th piston to match the rest and he's good to go.
smash.gif Andy

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
ptravnic
Per our conversation - Jake should be able to provide the chamber volume (cc) on the heads you are getting from him.

-pt
orange914
you guys are great. piston located, thanks to ptravnic.

we're ready to rock-n-roll andy

beerchug.gif
ptravnic
Looks like you'll be good to go. Here's a pic to tide you over til it makes it's way to the left coast:

Click to view attachment

I'll add in a couple extra wrist pin clips, just in case.

Andy - what are the cylinder's from? I ran into a problem with the jugs that came w/the KB's but that was prob b/c I ran the temps too high. This most recent time around I had Rimco bore out a set of stock 94mm's to match the KB's BUT as long as the skirt clearance is within spec (0.0025 per Jake) they'll be golden!

Here's a gratuitous pic of "this most recent time around"... I just put the mag & tin on today....

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Jun 28 2007, 09:42 PM) *

Andy - what are the cylinder's from?

if only i knew ... rolleyes.gif

i didn't build that motor. and the original builder has since fled socal ...
dry.gif Andy
McMark
Make sure you check the wrist pins for weight. There are two styles of pins and the weights are excessively different. That much weight difference on one pin will make your engine run very weird. wacko.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 29 2007, 08:28 PM) *

Make sure you check the wrist pins for weight. There are two styles of pins and the weights are excessively different. That much weight difference on one pin will make your engine run very weird. wacko.gif

he's got all 4 wrist-pins in the box with my pistons ...
bye1.gif Andy
McMark
Perfect!
orange914
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 29 2007, 09:31 PM) *

Perfect!

andy came by to day, we looked over the parts, some on there way, a few still to order and only a few needed to locate. thumb3d.gif hope you made it back before rush traffic. all things considered it's coming together great. engine build july 15 or 16th is tenitively o.k. with sir andy (2.5 weeks from now). how does everyone else (Cone dodger, Sir andy, Toon1, Tobra, Borderline, hammy feel about one of those dates?

andy got to experiance cental valley heat today. hence my concern for overheating with the new motor. happy11.gif
Hammy
Fine with me... I should be free.
ptravnic
I mailed the piston yesterday via UPS. I don't have the tracking number with me right now but it should arrive late next week.

-pt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.