Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Apple IIgs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
Anybody have one of these things?

Ive had three (last two got donated without me knowing), just got one.

Looking for stuff for it, I know there are alot of computer people on here....

Anybody?

SirAndy
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Jun 28 2007, 08:23 PM) *

Anybody have one of these things?

Ive had three (last two got donated without me knowing), just got one.

Looking for stuff for it, I know there are alot of computer people on here....

damm, i used to have a IIfx, but that was before you were born! biggrin.gif

sorry, didn't keep anything for 'em ...
type.gif Andy
bd1308
This was before the Mac 128k Andy.

We're talking like the end of the Apple II series.

I traded almost 300 dollars of computer junk for my Apple IIgs stuff, i'm just trying to get a break on some other stuff.

I guarantee much of what I need is in a landfill somewhere, its ridiculous to think that some rare part is getting crushed beneath three tons of old banana peels.
Dave_Darling
Heh, I just got rid of a IIe and associated stuff (some floppys, a floppy drive, a monitor, an ancient inkjet printer) a year and a half ago. biggrin.gif

Do they have anything like the Weird Stuff Warehouse where you are? Or maybe a Computer History Museum? wink.gif

--DD
bd1308
sad.gif

All of the cool tech stuff is in CA.
greybeard50
The IIgs was my family's first computer & lasted well into the nineties, but went the way of the Wooley Mammoth when the chain of floppy disc readers forgot how to "Daisy". (a little inside geek humor)
ruddyboys
I was looking at the new Apple II but bought this new cell phone instead
VaccaRabite
Sorry, I have not played with an Apple II since, well, 1988 I think. Once I moved to Blastem'ore, all the schools had Apple Macs.

Zach
BigDBass
I remember playing an early Mad Max style post-apocalyptic role playing game on my bud's Apple II "Go Slow". Wish I could remember the name of it.
type47
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 29 2007, 12:50 AM) *

Heh, I just got rid of a IIe and associated stuff (some floppys, a floppy drive, a monitor, an ancient inkjet printer) a year and a half ago. biggrin.gif

Do they have anything like the Weird Stuff Warehouse where you are? Or maybe a Computer History Museum? wink.gif

--DD

Ha! i just got rid of an Atari and left the 5" floppy disks etc when i retired. i did have to keep a powermac in the hopes that the database i made with clarisworks can be converted to something that can be read by a PC. i worked 10 yrs on that db!
ws91420
I had a IIe with the Duodisk and an Imagewriter dot matrix printer. My cousin got the IIgs. That was about the time the fore runner of the Mac flopped. Anyone remember the Lisa. My school used Trash 80's model 4 and I have been using PC's since late eightes early 90's
smj
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Jun 29 2007, 05:50 AM) *

sad.gif

Not true, there are folks scattered all over the country with small to large collections of vintage computing devices. And like car buffs, they're only too glad to get together and trade stories or show off their treasures. Granted there are higher concentrations in California and a few institutions, but that's not all there is by any stretch.

Head over to the ClassicCmp web site and get yourself on the mailing list. The audience is far, far wider than just Apple II gear but they all share the affliction. I'm positive you'll find some folks nearby if you want to.

To get to specific stuff head over to the Vintage Computer Festival (and far more) web site and navigate to the Links section. You want Apple II stuff, Sellam has loads of links for that. You want DEC minicomputer stuff, that's there too. Stories of the analog computers pioneered in the 1930s? Yeah, that's there too. And fun stuff like links to famous hacks, games, etc.

10MB broadband connection to the Internet? US$50/month.
Dual core 2.4GHz laptop to surf the web? US$2,000.
Keeping the old stuff running? Priceless.
IronHillRestorations
I loved my old Mac stuff, which is why I HATE APPLE!!!! If Wozniak and Jobs had licensed the original Mac operating system, we'd never have heard of windows. But, nooooooooooo

My good friend has a up and running IIGS with some pretty clever games and audio stuff.

I've got a Mac IIci, a IIcx, a PowerMac7500, and a Performa. The old cx was a killer machine. We had a Rodime 80mb hard drive put in it when we got it, whooooeeee that was some storage! POS stopped booting up after only 16 years! It was a killer machine, but once windows came along it got harder and harder to use a Mac for business. I miss the simplicity of those old Macs. Virus? What's that???
mike373
Still have my commodore 64 with 20 lb floppy drive. Anyone interested????

Mike

SirAndy
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Jun 29 2007, 12:42 PM) *

I remember playing an early Mad Max style post-apocalyptic role playing game on my bud's Apple II "Go Slow". Wish I could remember the name of it.

Wasteland

that game was rad!

the guys from "Interplay" based their "Fallout" games on the storyline of Wasteland ...
smilie_pokal.gif Andy

PS: btw. a new version of Fallout is in the works! http://fallout.bethsoft.com/teaser.html
bd1308
I foudn a TREASURE CHEST of Apple II stuff.

I'm set for life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smile.gif

I have around six or seven macs and around the same amount of PCs.

I'm gearing up to make a server, then hearing up to make a cluster made from IBM Thinkpad laptops (166Mhzx4 of raw processing power ) MUAHAHA
scotty
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Jun 29 2007, 06:50 AM) *

sad.gif

..or found in your local school (check 'em out! Look in the cabinets!). We've managed to build quite the little museum in our school (Atari, Commodore, Coleco Adam (w/Flash Gordon game!), IBM PC, PC Jr. (with chicklet keyboard). Now for the Mac rundown:

<geekout>
We have all the Apple II models (including a Bell & Howell apple II clone), an Apple III, a Lisa, Mac (128, fat mac, se, se/30, etc.) Mac II, IIx... blah, blah blah... every last model they made up to, and including, the VERY lamentable 5260 & 5500. Our high school switched to PC's after that.

The last good Mac OS was 6.0.8
</geekout>

...and they all still run (although the Lisa whines quite a bit)

at least once every four years or so, we play apple II artillery to teach vectors in physics (double elimination tournament) -- the kids love the blocky graphics

"Keeping the old stuff running? Priceless." -- ay-yup!

bd1308
I have a apple 660AV (S-video in early-90s), 6116CD (with G3), a 3400c (at parents house), 3 2400c's, 1 1400cs (with G3/400), a G3 tower and a G4 tower.

I believe the last good OS was 7.6.1 for current age, since there are wireless drivers that work with 7.6.1

Anyway, my secret longing for the Apple IIgs is what prompted me to get another Apple IIgs, this one will have an ethernet card and will also have a CF hard drive card.

I enjoy *OLD* Apple/Macintosh hardware. Opening up an old Macintosh (or apple) reveals a COMPLETLY different mindset--which I enjoy. I collect older computers and use them to thier fullest extent. Unfortunately, the local schools all have outed Macs and currently run PCs. I used to be an admin for the Apple IIe's and Macintosh LC 575s running At Ease. BTW, I figured out a way to get around At Ease, by launching a game called "Crosscountry USA" then selecting At Ease and launching ClarisWorks....I could get into the finder without the password.

Anyway, those days were great--and best of all I was in 4th grade!

I'm beginning to enjoy aircooled cars as much as I enjoy computers--but I've been messing with computers ever since I've been in school.

smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.