Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Race Seat for Hans Device?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
SandyI
So after I got my car over 120 at Cal Speedway, I started to think it was time for a Hans. Looking for suggestions on race seats that work well in a 914 and don't interfere with a Hans. Thanks.
drgchapman
I had that same epiphany last year just prior spending the weekend at Infineon.
The Hans device requires the two shoulder belts to hold it in place. The belts must flank your neck very closely. So the seat must have shoulder belt holes close together. You also need the 5th belt between your legs to anchor down the belts tight over your shoulders and the Hans, so a 5 point harness is minimum.
I am using a Kirkey seat, very light, strong, and easy to mount on the stock seat sliders. Mine is the 20 degree seat back which is recommended for road racing a sedan type car. This allows for some front-back adjustment of the seat as well.
Get the Hans device, you'll feel smarter and look cool. Might even save your life if you hit the wall...........
SandyI
I'm currently using a Corbeau seat with 5-point G-Force belts. But it's the angle of my seat that I'm not sure about with the Hans.
drgchapman
If it is close to stock angle, then it is ~20 degrees. The Hans devices are made for specific seat angulations, there are several. The main point is the shoulder harness's need to be very close together to engage the Hans device properly. If they are too wide, then the belts slip off the Hans device and it is no longer a Hans device.
kart54
I also use a Kirkey but it's the full containment seat. A little tough to get in and out of the car. Particularly with the Hans on. I actually ended up going to the GForce SRS1 device. a little easier, a little lighter and more comfortable. It does not have the coveted NASCAR rating (oops sorry, sfi rating) that the Hans does but I'm comfortable with their test results and the outcome in an accident. My car does have the 3 row NASCAR style door bars in it and that is one of the reasons the car is tough to get out of.
If your going with the Hans, a kirkey seat but without the full containment is one of your best bets or if you've got cash and you really are concerned about safety a LaJoie seat is the ultimate. Randy LaJoie has put more time and research into his seats than probably anybody in the market today. They are very comfortable and one of the safest, if not the safest, seats on the market. The majority of the road racing NASCAR guys were in them last week at Sonoma. Only problem is the seat will set you back about $1300.00 plus installation.
Other than that, Butler also makes a great seat.
Make sure your seat is sized to you as all of the serious race seats are sized to the driver to hold you in there very firmly.
Good Luck
Randy
Car 54 Here I am SCCA G production Porsche 914
drew365
I'm using a Sparco Rev in my 914. It works fine with my HANS. That's all I know. I put the HANS and my helmet on in the car, trying to climb in and out with them on is too much of a contortion.
byndbad914
I will second the idea (or third it maybe with two previous posts biggrin.gif ) about a Kirkey seat. I use an UltraShield race seat and they are very similar and fit about the same, but the US seat was cheaper so I went with it. They are both good aluminum seats and the belts will be close enough together over the shoulder to hold the HANS brand restraint. and they are offered in a wide variety of dimensions for no extra charge - in fact I think US doesn't charge extra for custom sizing, you just have to wait a few weeks for them to be built v. off the shelf. I got lucky all my dims matched an OTS item so I got them immediately.

That said I have an R3 and prefer it over the Hans - I tried a friends HANS and it fit fine, but I like the fact I can go to a regular belted car for a ride along, or a 4pt car, whatever and have neck restraint. And the price was right too - on the bird board a guy named Chad Plavan is a dealer for them.

In any event, if you have a HANS, tell the mfr you have one as sometimes they have a special seat design to work with them (extra relief right behind the neck for the device).
maf914
I am not a racer and will probably never use a Hans device, but I have watched its developement over the years with some interest. I was always a Jim Downing fan when he was racing and building his own Kudzu prototypes. When he and his brother-in-law introduced the Hans device many years ago I sort of wondered if it would ever sell. I guess it was slow at first but now they are used in almost all forms of auto racing, and required by many sanctioning bodies. I think the old CART series may have been first to mandate their use. Latter F1 (with additional developement involving Mercedes) and NASCAR followed, with many drivers complaining that they could never drive with one. Now they are common place and drivers wear them willingly. What a change in attitude. What a great innovation and contribution to driver safety.

Okay, back to the topic! laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.